My Dota crossroads

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So this morning I went to turn on my eight year old pc to play some Dota, but the old gal didn't breath. Messing with it for a while I've admitted it's finally dead and gone.

Here's the thing, the only reason I ever used that pc was for Dota, and now that it's gone I can't really justify the money just for that. Especially since for the price of a new decent pc I can get a ps4 and a new TV.

Should I just become a dota spectator and invest in something me and my wife can both enjoy, or are there cheap dota machines out there? What do you think?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

What did you try to do to resurrect your PC? Is it showing any signs of life or is it just not booting at all? Maybe there is something you missed or a cheap fix that will bring it back. Maybe you just need a new PSU or something easy?

Also, are we talking Dota 2 or Dota 1? Dota 1 could run on basically anything remotely modern at this point. Dota 2 you could probably run on a $400 PC on low or medium quite smoothly. I've run it smoothly in moderately equipped virtual machines (as in 2 threads from my i7, 2 GB of RAM, and the integrated graphics chip that also had to run a bunch of OSX stuff) before so running it bare metal on a cheaper PC shouldn't be too tough.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Dude if you could play Dota on your 8 year old PC you can most certainly get a cheap 'Dota Machine'.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By Slag

@tomorrowman: I bet you could easily play DOTA 2 on the lowest settings on a sub 500 dollar machine.

Try Tomshardware.com, or eggxpert.com There's lots of cheap DOTA build threads.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Iodine

When my brother got into dota like a month ago, he made a "device" for roughly 300 dollars. Mind you I wouldn't call this a computer, but it works fine on the lowest settings and is really tiny. Mind you I think if anyone touches it it will break in 47 different ways, but still

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

@iodine said:

When my brother got into dota like a month ago, he made a "device" for roughly 300 dollars. Mind you I wouldn't call this a computer, but it works fine on the lowest settings and is really tiny. Mind you I think if anyone touches it it will break in 47 different ways, but still

I priced one out real quick after reading this thread and you could do it for like £250, with US prices that would be about $300, and it wouldn't break either, as it was all decent name components. It was just running an AMD APU, which can easily handle dota at the lowest settings.