• 75 results
Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's that time of the year, again, folks. I know I'll be willfully neglecting my responsibilities at work and staying up till four in the morning in order to watch a bunch of dudes play a video game for a grand prize of over six million American dollars. Heck, even a 16th place finish is taking home over fifty grand. Oh, and did I mention is prize pool has exceeded seventeen million and is still growing?

Welcome to The International 2015. Let's talk some Dota.

Wild Card series: CDEC and MVP.Phoenix advance to the group stages. I think a lot of us were expecting CDEC and Vega to take the last two remaining spots, but MVP.P sent Vega home early with some great plays. We also saw a base-race situation in the MVP.P vs Archon series, so there's that.

Groups and game schedule can be found on the official TI5 site here.

Looks pretty even for the most part. Group B is arguably a little tougher with EG, Empire, VG, and TI4 champ Newbee. EHOME has been putting up some solid showings, so maybe potential for an upset. Group A has Secret, Cloud9, and LGD to look out for. IG has been in a bit of a slump lately, but wouldn't write them off just yet. Na'Vi isn't the same team from TI4, but the recent roster changes saw some improvement to their performance, which certainly showed during their qualifier games.

The first series of games are set to start in a couple of hours (9AM Pacific?) featuring LGD vs Cloud9, compLexity vs MVP.P, and Fnatic (formerly Team Malaysia) vs Secret. Games will be going all day long until Thursday, where the top 16 will be decided and go on to compete in the main event starting on August 3rd, which will last a whole week.

Lots of Dota, lots of games. Maybe even some black holes.

GLHF.

majorziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if mentioning Newbee in Group B is worth it. They haven't had any amazing showings since the new year and people consider them a easy win for most teams. Can't see them having any impact on this tournament, but it would be kinda cool if they pulled some crazy shit out now. Saving strats for TI.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit it starts today already. That's my evenings sorted for the next 2 weeks

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mister_V

Been away from Dota for a while after loosing interest but dove back in over the weekend. Can someone fill me in what happened in the competitive scene in the last nine months?

I hear some talk about secret being the team to beat but what happened to alliance and team tinker? Also it seems like there was a big shake up in the Chinese scene? I'm seeing lots of players I recognise in new teams. Also how is EG doing without Arteezy?

I'll be cheering on the European teams anyway. Hoping for a better showing this year. Also hoping the tournament in general is better. Last years Ti seemed a bit flat.

Oh one last question. Is the guy who hosted the show yesterday hosting the whole thing? Where is James and Bruno?

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mister_v: Tinker and Alliance failed to qualify. China has been pretty weak lately. EG look very strong, right behind Secret in terms of favorites. They picked up a young prodigy Sumail (14 or 15 I think), to replace Arteezy. He is pretty insane and his Storm Spirit is some of the most exciting DotA I've ever seen. EG won DAC (basically TI 4.5), shortly after picking him up.

It has been mostly EG, Secret, and VG being the dominant teams for the past 9 months, with VG falling off lately, and Secret beating EG in finals of the last big tournament. I'd personally love to see a EG vs Secret finals, so many storylines there. Another team I am rooting for is Virtus Pro. FNG has been on a crazy journey this year after getting picked up and then kicked by Na'Vi. Dude is super smart and has picked himself up to lead, a now really strong, dark horse team.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirpsychosexy: Thanks for the info. I would also like to see a secret/EG final.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v: Team Tinker got signed by Mousesports a few months before TI5, then disbanded. Alliance fell into a lull after TI4 and hasn't been performing well since, then S4 left for Team Secret and EGM for Team Tinker. EG has been doing very well, and is a top contender for this year's TI. The Chinese reshuffle happens every year. Nothing really new there other than BurNIng coming out of retirement and Hao and Xiao8 leaving Newbee.

I didn't catch the full show yesterday, so not sure who the new host is. I remember reading something about him having a history hosting E-sports events. I believe Bruno got hired by Valve as a programmer. Not sure what Yames is up to these days.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Thank goodness some other people were able to communicate my 6+ paragraph monster text more concisely. As for Yames, he was a (big) part of organizing/hosting the streams for the qualifiers from Hungary two months ago. No idea what Valve has planned for the main event.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mister_v: Team Tinker got signed by Mousesports a few months before TI5, then disbanded. Alliance fell into a lull after TI4 and hasn't been performing well since, then S4 left for Team Secret and EGM for Team Tinker. EG has been doing very well, and is a top contender for this year's TI. The Chinese reshuffle happens every year. Nothing really new there other than BurNIng coming out of retirement and Hao and Xiao8 leaving Newbee.

I didn't catch the full show yesterday, so not sure who the new host is. I remember reading something about him having a history hosting E-sports events. I believe Bruno got hired by Valve as a programmer. Not sure what Yames is up to these days.

James is there but not for Valve, for some other company/himself or so his tweets alluded. And yeah the new Asian guy for the Asian desk is Chobra, he hosted ESL last month too. Dude used to host LoL stuff.

Also I'd argue Alliance full into a lull way before TI4. lol

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I.... just realized who I thought was Blitz last night was in fact totally not Blitz... Oops. And here I was wondering how Blitz lost so much weight and sounds way different... Well, I'm clearly a racist cunt.

I totally meant to type TI3, so yes, very much agree with that assessment.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zomgfruitbunnies: LOL it's ok I think they joke between them about how they're the same person cause they're both Korean-American and esports.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Who's the American team we're all rooting for then?

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@mechakirby: Complexity Gaming is a US team as is Evil Geniuses.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@ht101: I cant root for Complexity MoonMeander is a MASSIVE asshole

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you didn't love n0tail enough

Loading Video...

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

The current top two will be facing off in a couple of hours. LGD vs Secret is the first game of the day. Guess I'll be late for work, again.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The current top two will be facing off in a couple of hours. LGD vs Secret is the first game of the day. Guess I'll be late for work, again.

For whatever reason the group stage just isnt as interesting to me this year, and I have watched every ti since the first. Probably because there are no eliminations from it.

Also MAN Na'vi is doing poorly

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow didn't know this was going on right now. As someone between projects at work right now i'm probably going to spend all my time at work watching this.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. 3 Members of EG are assholes and at least 1 of CoL, so don't root for either team. Chose one of the other 14 if you wanna root for someone. Maybe MVP Phoenix 'cause one of them lived in the US for a while and is a really nice dude.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@alexw00d said:
@mechakirby said:

Neither. 3 Members of EG are assholes and at least 1 of CoL, so don't root for either team. Chose one of the other 14 if you wanna root for someone. Maybe MVP Phoenix 'cause one of them lived in the US for a while and is a really nice dude.

Which 3 are you throwing under the bus on EG? ppd, sumail, and..... aui?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anyone can in good conscience root for EG as a team in any game, maybe individual players but not the team as a whole.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The disapproval for EG warms my heart!
I am curious who are the 3 though. I would put ppd way out infront.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played a lot of Dota over the past year but, I have to admit, TI5 has been pretty awesome to watch so far. I don't know if it's the current patch or if the teams are more diverse in their strats this year, but I like the matches way more than both TI3 and TI4.

I hope C9 sticks around till the end, they're just fun to watch, but overall I root for Secret (cliché, I know. But S4 and Zai are fellow countrymen after all.)

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@alexw00d said:
@mechakirby said:

Assholes how? Like they slapped someones ice cream cone out of their hands?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

@mechakirby: no, assholes as in they tell people they hope they die and get cancer and other shitty things. Their manager is a huge sack of shit as well. The north American dota scene in general is super full of that stuff though, the amount of times some nasally American kid has told me to get cancer in a pub game is ridiculous.

@ajamafalous: fear. Aui seems like one of the nicest, most pleasant people in the scene to be honest.

E: I don't wanna make this thread into a complaint about this guy and that guy though, and I'll say there's a load of commendable dudes at the international this year. S4, iceiceice, Kuroky, fng, March, plenty of really nice chaps to back for the week :)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

@alexw00d said:

@mechakirby: no, assholes as in they tell people they hope they die and get cancer and other shitty things. Their manager is a huge sack of shit as well. The north American dota scene in general is super full of that stuff though, the amount of times some nasally American kid has told me to get cancer in a pub game is ridiculous.

@ajamafalous: fear. Aui seems like one of the nicest, most pleasant people in the scene to be honest.

E: I don't wanna make this thread into a complaint about this guy and that guy though, and I'll say there's a load of commendable dudes at the international this year. S4, iceiceice, Kuroky, fng, March, plenty of really nice chaps to back for the week :)

Yeah, NA Dota mostly sucks, which is a shame.

I've liked aui since all the way back when he was playing carry for PotM Bottom, but his recent incessant complaining about Techies has kinda soured me on him. Still seems like a nice guy, though.

And yeah, most of the people that made it to this TI are genuine and deserving. I can only think of one player that I actively dislike; everyone else I either like or am at least indifferent to.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Christoffer

How many times have I heard something like "Arteezy is so deep"? Kuroky is the MVP of Secret in this tournament so far.

Edit: Biting nails. And it's useless Group Stage

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

I have always felt guys like Fear, Universe, and Aui were some of the most stand up and genuinely nice dudes in the scene.

I can see people not taking well to PPD, as he is often incredibly whiny. However he is definitely an extremely passionate and hard working guy who just wants to win, which I can respect. I also recall last year, when signing autographs, he stayed long after most other pros making sure he could get to every single person waiting. He just wears his heart on his sleeve, and doesn't have much of a filter.

The only really shitty thing I can think of is Sumail telling people to get cancer or whatever in matchmaking. TBH I have probably said worse things over the internet when I was 15. I can totally understand people getting really upset at that, but I don't think moments of rage in an internet game defines you as a person. I have seen enough people I know in person do that stuff in DotA on rare ocassion, but they are the chillest, nicest dudes in real life.

Also take twitter with a grain of salt. Nearly everyone involved with NA DotA, just trolls/shitposts on there, they aren't taking themselves seriously so neither should we.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the third year I've jumped on the Dota bandwagon for TI, but goddamn I love this event. Not invested in any one team, all I want is close, hard fought matches. Especially after the disappointment of last year's grand final.

I'm already getting my annual itch to try playing again, though it never seems to go so well...

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like, is it just me reading the games incorrectly or are S4 and Puppey taking turns drafting on Secret? I've noticed really different drafting philosophies between games from the team.

In other news, CDEC IS DOING IT. I expected them to play well, but man this is something else. IG and Navi, though, in tough spots. I feel Dendi and Sonneiko are doing their best, but two people aren't enough to carry the whole team. And xboct doing xboct stuff is just facepalm worthy sometimes.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick update:

The order of the top 16 has been decided:

Upper BracketLower Bracket
LGDVP
SecretVG
compLexityMVP.Phoenix
EGIG
CDECNewbee
EHOMEFnatic
Cloud9Na'Vi
EmpireMVP.Hot6

Monday's schedule can be found here.

As expected LGD and Secret finish at the top of the group stages. Most surprisingly, CDEC made it all the way to the top of B group, showing that they have what it takes to tango with the big boys.

The main event begins on Monday, with four of the eight teams in the lower bracket facing elimination. With the first round of the lower bracket being bo1, it's up to the bottom eight to get their shit together and go all out. No more holding on to hidden strats, it's time to go big or go home.

majorziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By majorziggy

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

Like, is it just me reading the games incorrectly or are S4 and Puppey taking turns drafting on Secret? I've noticed really different drafting philosophies between games from the team.

I think S4 has been the drafter since they got rekt at Starladder in April, but the whole team has a say in the draft with him just making the final choice. And the last games they seemed to be experimenting because they don't play a lot of scrims.

The first day of the main event will be brutal. A lot of teams being knocked out in the second half of the day. Can't wait too see some crazy plays coming from the BO1 elimination matches.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I don't know about you guys; but one of the biggest surprises to me is how well Complexity is doing.

I don't really like Moon, nor do I like or Swindle (Fly is rad); but you can't really argue with results! I'm super interested to see how the series with them versus EG goes.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CDEC and Complexity showing the can take games off of the best teams. But how will they fare in BO3's as the meta begins to crystallize?

Fuck it, it doesn't matter, Na'Vi all the way.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really seems like the a lot of the same heroes are being played. Yes there are games where you get a few less picked characters but other than that it seems less diverse than previous years.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz said:

@zomgfruitbunnies: LGD and EG won their groups dude.

Yeah but based on points, LGD and Secret came top, then CDEC and EG.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really seems like the a lot of the same heroes are being played. Yes there are games where you get a few less picked characters but other than that it seems less diverse than previous years.

Group stage was, in fact, considerably less diverse than the past two years. I chalk it up to such a major balance-shifting patch coming out so recently (many heroes who weren't even touched in the patch are now common picks due to all the new items). I think (hope?) that 6.85 will level the playing field a bit with IceFrog rebalancing heroes around the recent item additions.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Skytylz

@alexw00d: But their different group so that's irrelevant right?

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Last year's champ Team Newbee has just been knocked out of the tournament by MVP.Phoenix. I'm watching at work so only caught bits and pieces, but really was not expecting MVP to do it with that draft. Holy Hell. GG.

VG and Na'Vi coming up in a bit.

EDIT: Na'Vi is out.

Day 1 is done. MVP.Phx, VG, VP, and IG move on to the next round, while Newbee, Na'Vi, Fnatic, and MVP.Hot6 are eliminated. Shout outs to Hot6 for picking Jakiro and Zeus, Artstyle's sick graves (Kappa), and Xboct's yolo Anti-mage 1v5 VG while Dendi listens to hyhy's advice to stay in trees.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By HH

something about the audio mix is much improved this year, game sound effects are louder and clearer without taking away from the commentary, and the crowd cheering sounds great.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio mix is much better this year but I'm still completely baffled as to why they don't have a different UI for the stream. The in game UI for dota2 in my opinion is quite poor at conveying information you need for a live stream. Valve have stepped up a lot when it comes to presenting the international that it's always a bummer to see the in game footage still seem so half baked? I mean not that I want to compare the 2 but the lcs HUD does a much more effective job of conveying the information you need spectating with everything being put in clear unobtrusive parts of the screen whereas here you can still see ability icons which YOU DO NOT NNED whilst spectating. I'm sorry maybe it's just me but it hinders my enjoyment of the live streams quite significantly having to scan the entire screen for information that obstructs also the view play. It's fine in game but they need to realise spectators have different needs, especially if they aren't watching close to the monitor

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio mix is much better this year but I'm still completely baffled as to why they don't have a different UI for the stream. The in game UI for dota2 in my opinion is quite poor at conveying information you need for a live stream. Valve have stepped up a lot when it comes to presenting the international that it's always a bummer to see the in game footage still seem so half baked? I mean not that I want to compare the 2 but the lcs HUD does a much more effective job of conveying the information you need spectating with everything being put in clear unobtrusive parts of the screen whereas here you can still see ability icons which YOU DO NOT NNED whilst spectating. I'm sorry maybe it's just me but it hinders my enjoyment of the live streams quite significantly having to scan the entire screen for information that obstructs also the view play. It's fine in game but they need to realise spectators have different needs, especially if they aren't watching close to the monitor

http://www.dota2.com/watch

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Navi definitely needs a roster shake up after this, Xboct gets caught way too often and dendi may be past his dominating days.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

VG vs Cloud 9 game 1 was a game for the ages. Man that was some great DotA!

Best Rubick play I've ever seen!

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehome 2-0 Secret today. Was not expecting that, but 100% okay with that outcome. Saw people saying rotk's interview was hilarious, will have to track that down later today.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sadly its unwatchable being from Europe. Most games don't start till about 8pm, and by the time the first set is over, I kinda need to go to bed. It's a good event for Americans, but like most things, sucks for people not from the USA

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Tennmuerti

Man the main panel between the games are such dry stiffs this year, no James, no Bruno. Old dudes in black suits? Gee that's nice. If i wanted that I'd watch regular sports.

Thankfully the russian speaking stream panel of "experts" is really bringing it this year. Brought me to tears so many times I've lost count. Especially during the group stage.

Tho for some weird reason the main english stream is better has slightly better picture fidelity then the other language streams. Even tho they can clearly stream in decent quality for everyone else too (they had to make a switch when one of the commentators had technical issues).

@dizzyhippos said:

Navi definitely needs a roster shake up after this, Xboct gets caught way too often and dendi may be past his dominating days.

Not gonna say that those guys haven't made mistakes, they have, but XBOCT fought like a lion at the end. However Artstyle on Dazzle was absolutely terrible that game, and not just at the end, he pretty much handed VG that win several times. He is also the team captain in theory, and they have previously parted on very rough terms years ago with him. You could see they were not even a team as a whole at this tournament, just players having to play together out of necessity. That's not what you want out of a person supposedly leading your team.

Also if you part with Dendi and XBOCT it's pretty much just a name at that point. Sadly this seems to happen a lot with dota2 teams anyway.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jslack

I'm here at Key Arena and enjoying myself. If any of you are here, I'll buy you a beer. Twitter @SlackJoe

No Caption Provided

Also, shout out to the guy working here who recognized the GFB shirt. You said your username was Dsmitty or something?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man the main panel between the games are such dry stiffs this year, no James, no Bruno. Old dudes in black suits? Gee that's nice. If i wanted that I'd watch regular sports.

James said he didn't want to do it again this year, and Bruno is a software engineer for Valve now, so he isn't doing any Dota anymore. They're also broadcasting live on ESPN3 this year, so I assume they're trying to be professional in order to grow the esports scene and uphold TV broadcast standards. I do think they need to get better hosts that are actually involved with Dota, though, instead of just generic 'esports' panel hosts (RedEye has been fine if a little awkward in a few spots, but Chobra has just been awful at both ESL and TI). Having LD/KotlGuy/Zyori/etc. host would've been much more welcome.