The International Compendium

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By gloomytangent

So Valve has put out a 10 dollar interactive pamphlet called "The Compendium" that allows you to make predictions/follow the teams throughout the big Dota tournament, the International. Basically it's fantasy football for Dota, with prizes for people who make the most accurate prognostications (crazy additions for the courier that comes with the book). 1/4th of the cost of the compendium goes back into the main prize pool for the international itself.

I wasn't planning on getting one since, while I enjoyed watching the championship rounds last year, I wasn't super into the international. However, Valve added a 'battle point boost' that more than doubles the item find bonus until the end of the tournament, which is in three months. I can't say no to hats. I CAN'T SAY NO TO HATS. So there's my 10 bucks down.

But basically I was actually really impressed with how slick the compendium itself was. It's still obviously early and not fleshed out, but I'm actually planning on keeping up with the qualifiers to see how my predictions turn out. The fact that it's not just winners (I really don't have a preferred team since I haven't been keeping up), but also general stuff like most picked hero/fastest match etc. is really compelling to me.

I'm curious to what the general Duder consensus is. Is this cool? Is it exploitative? Is it overpriced?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it's well produced, then I think it's okay. Valve doesn't seem like the sort of corp to toss out a random cash-grab thing like that. It seems like they're adding value to Dota2 for those who want it.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By triple07

It seems cool. Plus at least part of the proceeds from the item go into the pot for the international 3 so its also going to fund the pro scene which is cool. It seems like most of the money goes to that since the pot is already up to 1.8 mil from the original 1 million. Personally I haven't picked it up yet but I'm debating it...

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If you are planning to get one you should buy it now because the qualifiers start today.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Actually doing a "fantasy league" thing where prizes are a boat load of hero items (some exclusive) could be interesting. I am not sure about the price though.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_skeleton: Actually I think they start tomorrow. But the sooner you buy it the better, if only for getting the most out of the battle point booster.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you telling me that I can spend money for an increased chance to get chests that require more money to open?! I'm in!

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrinswand: increased BP = faster level-ups. Level ups are certain chance of an item.

And yes, Chests. More importantly, rare chests.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jrinswand: E Everytime you level you get a non-box item, more battle points means faster levels so more items. The battle points also stack so if everyone in the game have it you will get +350% more points in addition for what you got in the game.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_skeleton: It also says "Item find chance" in addition to the point bonus, so I think the rate that you're earning points also increases the chance that you'll get a random drop (these are on a separate timer from the chests, so if you get a chest it doesn't count as an item drop).

But yeah, the fact that it stacks gets ridiculous. I'm basically leveling every 3 games as long as a decent number of people in there have a boost. Plenty of times where I've found two hats and a chest in a single drop.

3 months is a ridiculous amount of time to have such a huge boost given that boosts usually cost like 6 bucks for a week.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Having the chat log fill up with eight of these at once is a magical experience.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

@extomar said:

Actually doing a "fantasy league" thing where prizes are a boat load of hero items (some exclusive) could be interesting. I am not sure about the price though.

Not totally the same thing, but people bet items on every competitive match. Here's where you'll want to go to check it out.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget that you can join the giant bomb chat channel while spectating the qualifiers!

I just hope valve's servers stop shitting the bed.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's well produced, then I think it's okay. Valve doesn't seem like the sort of corp to toss out a random cash-grab thing like that. It seems like they're adding value to Dota2 for those who want it.

You're a bit deep into the Valve kool-aid if you think they're not all about the "innocent" cash grab. Are you forgetting about the hats in all their games and their locked boxes/chests? I personally don't find anything wrong with it but let's call a spade a spade.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight said:

You're a bit deep into the Valve kool-aid if you think they're not all about the "innocent" cash grab. Are you forgetting about the hats in all their games and their locked boxes/chests? I personally don't find anything wrong with it but let's call a spade a spade.

But it's exactly what he said it was. They are in no way forced and they add literally nothing to gameplay. They're simply there for the people who want them.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EXTomar

@extomar said:

Not totally the same thing, but people bet items on every competitive match. Here's where you'll want to go to check it out.

I meant it as a side thought along the line of an "active audience participation" thing. I would like to see more things like a "full bracket pool" and other "contest pools" like "How long will TeamX play?" where you win XP or items or both but I have to readily admit this gets into the very murky area of online gambling.

To that end, it should be possible to generate a "fantasy league" out of any tournament run where Valve could run it giving prizes if they want to give watchers yet more ways to participate while watching.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

@extomar said:

@ajamafalous said:

@extomar said:

I meant it as a side thought along the line of an "active audience participation" thing. I would like to see more things like a "full bracket pool" and other "contest pools" like "How long will TeamX play?" where you win XP or items or both but I have to readily admit this gets into the very murky area of online gambling.

To that end, it should be possible to generate a "fantasy league" out of any tournament run where Valve could run it giving prizes if they want to give watchers yet more ways to participate while watching.

Oh, yeah. I actually totally agree; I would've loved to make a full bracket for the qualifiers. I guess it's still on the table as something they could implement for the main tournament in August, though.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Wuddel

So can you watch replays to advance your courier? They are in the middle of the day for me. At how many views does it start to "grow"?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel said:

So can you watch replays to advance your courier? They are in the middle of the day for me. At how many views does it start to "grow"?

Yes, replays (and highlights) both count if you can't catch the games live.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. There are a number of games I missed and didn't expect to count, watched the replays anyway and got credit.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it still worth it to buy this?

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By supamon

@syndrom said:

A raise in XP rate and chance of getting items to 225% that lasts till the TI is over. A courier that will evolve depending on how many TI3 matches you watch(replays work too) and a HUD skin for US$9.99.

Hell yeah.

kolh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon said:

@syndrom said:

A raise in XP rate and chance of getting items to 225% that lasts till the TI is over. A courier that will evolve depending on how many TI3 matches you watch(replays work too) and a HUD skin for US$9.99.

Hell yeah.

Valve will also quite certainly update the compendium with more predictions when the actual International 3 starts.