What do you think about Brad's "Daily Dota" Content?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By DriveupLife

Poll What do you think about Brad's "Daily Dota" Content? (1598 votes)

Great! 24%
Good! 22%
Meh 12%
I dislike it 4%
I don't watch it 38%
 • 
MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@minipato:

I'm more thinking of the random internet peoples and their potential to be horrible human beings, which, if it occurs, could be quite entertaining. Brad's probably not going to do anything too out of character, I'd guess.

Entertaining? Isn't that par for the course in MOBAs? Or online games in general for that matter?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@minipato:

Well I don't often play online games against random people, so seeing someone throw a hissy fit would amuse me.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

booooooooo

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Dang good finish to today's cast.

That was a fun one

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad streaming DOTA 2 during the day is fine. It's not like it's taking up time from any other GiantBomb content.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

It's fun to watch sometimes, but it's also depressing that pretty much everyone involved in every game- Brad and team included- act like complete dicks the whole time. If anything, it reaffirms my commitment to staying away from Dota and games like it.

danlongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's fun to watch sometimes, but it's also depressing that pretty much everyone involved in every game- Brad and team included- act like complete dicks the whole time.

I have noticed the few times I have tried to watch that they all act like dicks. I just don't watch anymore.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great, and I don't even play DOTA.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Joeyoe31

It's pretty enjoyable to watch. The regulars that Brad plays with are pretty fun to listen to since they're so upbeat all the time even when they're losing. My only problem is that Brad is still learning and isn't as efficient as I'd want him to be to the point where I'm yelling at the screen it can be a bit frustrating for some viewers.

Plus it's a good filler series when there aren't any games coming out for them to make quicklooks/reviews etc.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By AlexW00d

Crispy's anger hook is why I enjoy daily dota.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up playing WCIII Dota at internet cafes so i'm loving these videos.

Crispy is an absolute boss.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By Milkman

Well, whoever doesn't watch missed out because today, we saw some of the #biggestplays in recorded history.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've tried to watch it a few times, but I rarely find it all that interesting.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Barrock

It's way, way, way too much.

He could be doing something else that would be more entertaining to more people.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose, "Great!," because it's entertaining to listen to the Skype banter between Brad's teammates, it's informative to follow along with Brad & Kessler as they learn a series of complicated systems & most of all it's gotten me to watch an hour+ of footage of an overly convoluted, clique-crazy game I otherwise couldn't give two shits about.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play the game, but I really don't see the problem with additional content on the site? I like the ones I have watched and I appreciate I can take part of some of the DOTA magic without having to learn it all myself.

Magris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like watching it except for the fact that Brad is the one streaming it. I'm much more interested in seeing how Crispy plays seeing as he's in every single big fight/gank ever and plays a pivotal role in each. Brad is usually the first one to die or he's busy farming or pushing.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I enjoy it somewhat, but it's inconsistent and too long to stay focused on. So I kind of don't get around to it, got other things to watch, dota related even. Guest apperances are awesome though!

I'm kind of hoping some fabulous user would make a daily dota highlight reel, wink wink. ;)

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

I put it on in the background while I play games or do something else. I like it!

drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By drgrumbles

@aegon said:

It just seems like an excuse to feed his addiction.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not for me, but I'm not complaining. I just don't watch.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@ben_h: While I think you make valid points for this feature, I just thought I would mention that both dota and league consistently have a vastly larger viewerbase than starcraft. ESPECIALLY during tournaments. Why that is might be up for discussion, but that's just a plain fact. I personally think it's because they are flashier and more prone to "moments" where something obviously cool and flashy happens, like 1v5 fights or instakills, etc..

Also while I think starcraft DOES have more going on, and that it takes more out of the player. I don't think that necessarily shows to the layman, so much about starcraft is mindgames and macro, which is really hard to balance, but it isnt obvious to the eye. The ratio of big cool battles or skirmishes in starcraft can't compare to big guys with clubs beating each other every 2 minutes. :P

For the record I enjoy watching both, but starcraft is honestly at bit too demanding of a game for me to play or focus on, so it tends to lie on the backburner.

Zeeco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By Zeeco

I've seen bits and pieces of it here and there, but my lack of knowlege/interest in DOTA never really sustains my interest. Most of it is just gibberish to me. It seems fine though, but it does look like an excuse for Brad to play more DOTA.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's not for me, I find it extremely boring. That's fine, though, I just don't watch it. Respect to Brad for producing daily content, even if it is just a convenient excuse to get paid to be addicted to DOTA :P

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would watch it, and do sometimes when I'm really bored, but I hate DOTA and vastly prefer league. Not anything against people who like DOTA, it just isn't my MOBA of choice. I am glad for daily content however and hope he keeps it up!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Initially I was planning on watch it, but it's broadcast when I'm at work and if I'm going to watch it at home that's downloading HD-quality, what, hour and a half of video every day and then watching that hour and a half video, for a game I still don't care much about or understand what I'm watching while I'm watching it?

I was entertained by it that first week on the main streams, but I just don't have enough interest to straight up watch Brad play a game I've never played or will play. I wish this same level of dedication had been given to the Bradley May Cry series, since I have very fond memories of the first game but never played the following four.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think another way to improve on the content is to have another person knowledgeable about DotA just spectate and just commentate on whatever is happening on screen and possibly also give Brad some tips on what he needs to be doing and some general trivia and stuff in order to help other viewers along who are possibly new or have no knowledge but are interested in DotA.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's a convenient excuse for Brad to play DOTA during the workday. Even as someone who has played hundreds of hours of League of Legends, I find watching DOTA 2 to be an exercise in confusion and boredom. Confusion because DOTA is a pretty different game than League and boredom because if I wanted to watch people play a MOBA I would watch the professionals who are constantly streaming.

Yeah, you're right. He could be finishing Devil May Cry by now, or any number of different, more interesting things. But he's going to do this until he breaks. Remember how long it took him to get weaned off of Starcraft? It's going to be a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

He could be doing something else that would be more entertaining to more people.

Every time I think of The Daily Dota I'm reminded of the argument that, one of the reasons they don't do Endurance Runs is because of the time investment involved in doing daily content of that sort that it simply makes it impractical, at best. Altogether with today's stream, Brad's put about 18 hours of DOTA on this site within two weeks. That's around just two and ahalf hoursless than the time it took Vinny and Jeff to play through Deadly Premonition, and that took two months, of episodes that weren't even actually recorded every day. Not to be one of those people who screams for a new Endurance Run, but.. wouldn't that be more appealing to more people?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: Daily Dota is one person's time. An Endurance Run takes the time of the two people playing as well as either Vinny or Drew in the control room. It's not really a fair comparison.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish there were more games for something like this than just DOTA.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea what is going on and I still watch it. It's fine and i will run its course.

@marokai said:

@barrock said:

Every time I think of The Daily Dota I'm reminded of the argument that, one of the reasons they don't do Endurance Runs is because of the time investment involved in doing daily content of that sort that it simply makes it impractical, at best. Altogether with today's stream, Brad's put about 18 hours of DOTA on this site within two weeks. That's around just two and ahalf hoursless than the time it took Vinny and Jeff to play through Deadly Premonition, and that took two months, of episodes that weren't even actually recorded every day. Not to be one of those people who screams for a new Endurance Run, but.. wouldn't that be more appealing to more people?

Except an Endurance Run would take more overall staff time than just Brad running an hour or so daily stream by himself.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Ares42

Between "meh" and "good". Although that and the International got me into trying dota again (and now enjoying it a lot), watching brad play dota is sorta meh.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, I already put on the international 3 qualifier tournament games while I'm working, so having more dota games to spectate is always a plus for me.

Having that said, if this is getting in the way of breaking brad or bradley may cry then someone somewhere screwed up. And that someone is Brad.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By Master_Funk

Normally, everytime I see the 'giant bomb has gone live' twitch e-mail , I get excited. Then I see its daily dota and I go do something else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supertess: @milkman: Eh, if Brad's obsession with DOTA has taught me anything, it's that they could probably find time for anything if they really wanted to. I get what you're saying, it totally requires more than one person for things of that scale, but The Daily Dota kind of just shatters the illusion that they're unable to do substantial daily content, IMO. It's just a matter of will.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am enjoying it immensely. As someone who is getting into DOTA, this content helps me learn along with Brad, especially as Crispy gives very good insight on what is going on and why. Good stuff.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested in DOTA or watching that type of game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Milkman

@marokai: You're right, it probably is a matter of will. But I'd rather them make content that they want to make than content that they feel forced to make. An Endurance Run should happen because they want to do another Endurance Run, not because they feel they have to. That's fun for no one.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Zero interest in DOTA so I don't watch it. I gave it a shot the first episode but it holds zero appeal for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Sure, you're definitely right about that.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No interest in MOBAs, so no, I don't watch it. But it's not like it's taking time away from anything else, so Brad can continue to stream DOTA all he wants. 'Sides, even if I actively disliked it, plenty of people clearly enjoy it, so I wouldn't complain about it.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Quarters

Can't bring myself to watch it. Every time I see something MOBA-related, my eyes start glazing over. However, if they bring back Breaking Brad or Bradley May Cry, than it's a whole new ball game. Those are awesome. Hope Daily DOTA isn't totally scuttling that, though I recognize that there are plenty of people who enjoy it, so I'm glad it exists for that sake.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95  Edited By nightriff

It's not for me but if people enjoy and watch it then I'm fine, I just want Breaking Brad's, RPCG, Dave's Fortress, Lantern Runs, etc. I would be more into a Vinny's Backlog type of thing than the same game every day.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By GaspoweR

@marokai: I

think there lies the problem. The staff in general can't really just WILL themselves to do daily content, they would need to be enthusiastic to do it as well, because if they are just willing themselves to do it, it's like doing a shorter endurance run. The reason why Brad can just do this since he is the only one doing the stream (thus making it more efficient, no extra loss in manpower) and he is super enthusiastic towards the game. If we're going to see a different kind of premium content it's most likely going to involve all the other in the staff and they would also need to be not busy with doing something. Content that's forced is just going to burn them out eventually and I'd rather not want that to happen to the staff.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Ben_H

@tobbrobb said:

@ben_h: While I think you make valid points for this feature, I just thought I would mention that both dota and league consistently have a vastly larger viewerbase than starcraft. ESPECIALLY during tournaments. Why that is might be up for discussion, but that's just a plain fact. I personally think it's because they are flashier and more prone to "moments" where something obviously cool and flashy happens, like 1v5 fights or instakills, etc..

Also while I think starcraft DOES have more going on, and that it takes more out of the player. I don't think that necessarily shows to the layman, so much about starcraft is mindgames and macro, which is really hard to balance, but it isnt obvious to the eye. The ratio of big cool battles or skirmishes in starcraft can't compare to big guys with clubs beating each other every 2 minutes. :P

For the record I enjoy watching both, but starcraft is honestly at bit too demanding of a game for me to play or focus on, so it tends to lie on the backburner.

League of Legends has a larger audience, no one can debate that, but DOTA 2 (outside of China) does not except during the International (For example, right now it has half the viewers of Starcraft on Twitch. It typically has much lower daily viewer numbers for streams). Starcraft does not have a tournament that large yet. The WCS final will be the first Starcraft tournament on an actual world wide scale rather than just focused on one region (MLG or GSL, Dreamhack are all for certain regions) so it will likely draw huge numbers.

And I still disagree when it comes to people who don't know what is going on watching them, with Starcraft you maybe have to wait through the first few minutes of the game where they build economy but after that there is always something going on be it drops or harassment of some type. There is so much more (what appears to be to the uninformed) down time in MOBAs and for the layman this is boring. Again, for people who understand these games the Daily Dota is great but for everyone else it is not.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Seedofpower

I would prefer them to go back to producing actually content. Granted their techniques have always been a bit cheap but its charming. This doesn't have any of the charm to it, I would rather just watch a live game in dota than watch a stream of it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: How many viewer's does the International Qualifier's get on twitch usually (on Tobiwan or GD Studio)? The last time I watched Qualifier matches it was in the Dota 2 client and it got about 75K viewers at one point. Lowest was about 49K.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By ChrisTaran

Maybe it's good if you're already a DOTA expert, as I thought watching it might let me understand the game a little bit, but that has not been the case at all.