What do you think about Brad's "Daily Dota" Content?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By DriveupLife

Poll What do you think about Brad's "Daily Dota" Content? (1598 votes)

Great! 24%
Good! 22%
Meh 12%
I dislike it 4%
I don't watch it 38%
 • 
sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@donpixel said:

2 - If you looking for the usual Giantbomb charm and personality, you wont get it as they are focus on the game.. so its like watching regular dudes playing, who cares if they work in a studio or whatever...

its the equivalent of watching ESPN commentators playing a match of basketball in their courtyard.. like I rather watch the NBA match.

What he said. It's not much different than watching any other random dude's DOTA stream. Not exactly what I would call "premium content".

The only thing that really bugs me is the thought that they're using this to fill some internal quota of premium content as opposed to more entertaining stuff. I've been pretty entertained by the Unprofessional Friday's lately though, so I don't want to be too complainy.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Levius

I haven't watched it at all as I could not give a fuck about DOTA ( I don't really like any of the eSports stuff really), but it does not seem to effect their other output so why not. If it gets to a point that they put off a RPCG style segment because Brads playing DOTA, then it would be problematic.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By williamhenry

I couldn't be less interested in watching Brad play Dota or hearing him talk about Dota.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I really liked the feature as a vehicle to finally recognize the importance of MOBAs, and bring back Kessler and co. to the site. However I must be honest and say that I'm finding myself watching less and less or rather skipping more and more of it.

I guess the problem was always that it was a daily thing so...can you dig 5+ separate videos of DOTA 2 a week? I've become tired of it and I imagine everyone else will. My prediction? We'll be saying goodbye by the time E3 rolls around.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't watch it. I have no interest in Mobas or Dotas or Bombas. That said I don't begrudge them for having it. It's just not for me, like TNT.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's great!

Maybe it's good if you're already a DOTA expert, as I thought watching it might let me understand the game a little bit, but that has not been the case at all.

I knew nothing about DOTA, now I know a lot thanks to watching these videos. I even won a match against some bots (notagreataccomplishment).

I would prefer them to go back to producing actually content. Granted their techniques have always been a bit cheap but its charming. This doesn't have any of the charm to it, I would rather just watch a live game in dota than watch a stream of it.

I think it has TONNES of charm. Several charming lads team up with Brad every day and they're fab. The Bodega maneuver was gold and one of the best Giantbomb moments of 2013.

It's not for me but if people enjoy and watch it then I'm fine, I just want Breaking Brad's, RPCG, Dave's Fortress, Lantern Runs, etc. I would be more into a Vinny's Backlog type of thing than the same game every day.

I'd love for Vinny to do more content but currently only Brad seems to be able and willing to do daily content, and the way to keep that going is having Brad do something he actually enjoys.

@marokai: .. I'd rather them make content that they want to make than content that they feel forced to make. An Endurance Run should happen because they want to do another Endurance Run, not because they feel they have to. That's fun for no one.

THIS ^

#BIGPLAYS

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#107  Edited By pr1mus

I don't watch it because i dislike it. I think it's trash.

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have enjoyed it a lot. It has taught me a lot about the game.

NickNotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I watch EVERYTHING on Giantbomb. Except this Dota stuff.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By flasaltine

I watch it but Brad is pretty terrible at Dota so I hate it. But I still watch it.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I still have no idea what a Dota is...

and please don't bother enlighten me. My backlog doesn't need to know.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never played Dota, but I'm always excited for the new Daily Dota. Between my enjoyment of watching Brad play video games (and fail but keep on trying) and all the GB duders playing with him that hold it down really well, I find it much more fun to watch than more "serious" Dota streams.

The Daily Dota and Spookin' with Scoops are easily my two favorite pieces of livestream content in the past month.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Strife777

I actually find it quite entertaining. I tend to listen to it more than I watch it, doing other things while it's playing. Even though I could not care less about playing a MOBA of any kind, I find it interesting to watch. I felt the same way about Starcraft 2 multiplayer.

As long as it doesn't step on any other content's toes, so to speak, I'm fine with it. At least it gives us a bit of content every day.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By PillClinton

Don't watch it, but if I was into Dota, I'm sure I would and probably like it too.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

I think it is a lot of fun where my only lament is that the archived show is Premium.

Watch it on twitch.

Anyway I don't watch it. MOBA's are boring games in my opinion. And they are rivaled only by multiplayer shooters in terms of how boring they are to watch.

It is not a horrible, crippling problem but it is a "lament" that I can see I missed one and just click on it in page. :)

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@geirr: I still can not understand why most of the game seems to be standing around and letting AI fight.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it.

Helps he has a great group too. Kessler, Pascual and Crispy are pretty funny duders.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I feel bad because I don't watch it and that's the majority vote.

But I don't. At the same time, I think it's cool that it's a thing, because more content is always a good thing.

I hope they find something to do regularly on Tuesday nights again tho. I liked Professional Tuesday where they showed off new releases a lot, dunno why that got the axe.

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By IceOrb

I like it.

It's pretty much exactly what the initial episode said which is a way for non dota playing players to get into it with another non dota player. Granted by this point Brad had been playing for 100+ hours but I gather that is a drop in the bucket when compared to most people playing it. I'm interested in seeing just how far his ability to play actually goes during this video series and maybe I'll end up crossing over and playing it some myself.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By NegativeCero

I tried watching a few times but I found it incredibly boring to watch. More power to those that do enjoy it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never play Dota cause it looks incredibly boring, however for some reason I really, really enjoy DD.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#122  Edited By Pudge

@donpixel said:

Its kinda mhee for me because:

1 - if you looking for big plays or pro content, there is actual pro tournaments going on twitch for free all the time for both LOL and DOTA 2

2 - If you looking for the usual Giantbomb charm and personality, you wont get it as they are focus on the game.. so its like watching regular dudes playing, who cares if they work in a studio or whatever...

its the equivalent of watching ESPN commentators playing a match of basketball in their courtyard.. like I rather watch the NBA match.

This is basically what I came here to post.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By jimmyfenix

I can only watch it live. i like the banter but i dont understand why its behind a pay wall ?

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose meh. I'll watch it every now and then but it's not something I'll watch an archive of. I like the fact that no one else in the office will play Dota with him, so he has to live stream himself playing with members of the community and a former intern. Though, he did ask Jeff to play when he signed on once and that was pretty funny.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Clonedzero

I'm not into it, but other people are. Thats great. Its easy to do on Brads end, no one else has to help him. So why the hell not?

I mean its nice to see one of the crew actually LIKE a game for a change.

Hell Jeff and Ryan are giant negative nancy downers lately. So i like poking into the daily dota watching 5 minutes and then bailing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#126  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@mcghee said:

I don't give a shit about DOTA but is is something to put on the background when I'm doing other things.

@rjayb89 said:

It's some decent background noise.

Same here, I usually leave it playing in the background while I'm doing something else.

It's kinda like a weird podcast where you hear Brad's soothing voice spouting indecipherable nonsense for two hours. It's fun to listen to, but I don't have any better idea of what DOTA is about at the end of it than I did before.

Had there been an option between "Good!" and "Meh", I would've voted for it, as there wasn't I voted for good, since it's leaning more towards that, I guess.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By cloudymusic

I know absolutely nothing about DOTA and have no desire to play, but it's strangely compelling to watch and root for Brad's team when I have nothing else to watch.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just listening to the podcast before everyone brings cool and interesting stories to it, where as Brad has played 90 hours on DOTA2 in 2 weeks. I'm sure going to miss Patrick the content is going to be dry, hopefully he is able to do quick looks of cool indy stuff from Chicago.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine if you enjoy that sort of game and know what is going on. I don't, so I don't really watch it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BisonHero

The Daily Dota seems hilariously self-indulgent of Brad, but I enjoy watching it anyway. Mostly for the antics, and tomfoolery, and #BigPlays. I still don't understand a lot of what's happening, especially in the first few minutes of a match, but most of it is just because I don't play the game and don't know the exact effects of the various heroes and items in play.

Truth be told, I miss having Bodega on the site, as I started to like his on-camera personality near the end of his time at Giant Bomb. The Fear Gauntlet was actually pretty dang good, mostly because of Bodega (sorry Lemon!). I'm glad he joins in pretty frequently.

radecau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By radecau

Even though I want like DOTA and mobas in general I just can't get into them and have ended up hating them whenever I played. That said I think the daily dota is great, I get to experience a decent chunk of what makes me want to get into mobas without having to deal with the crap. I'd love to see them making this sort of daily content with other games, it'll be interesting to see if the sharing and streaming features of the new consoles offer more options for this sort of stuff.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

I can only watch it live. i like the banter but i dont understand why its behind a pay wall ?

They seem to keep most longer videos behind the pay wall, because if everybody goes to download 90 minute long TNTs or Daily Dotas, that is a lot of bandwidth to pay for. Only the rare Quick Look exceeds an hour (usually a live Quick Look where Vinny lets it get out of hand), and most are more in the 25-40 minute range.

Though on the other hand, I thought I heard them say one time that archived TNTs get very few views anyways, and given how polarized the reaction is to The Daily Dota, I can't imagine that very many people would go back and watch the archived versions even if they were free to everyone.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#133  Edited By bobafettjm

I watch it every once in a while, and I appreciate that it is there. Watching them got me to actually try playing DOTA, which was quite the accomplishment. After playing the game for a few hours however I decided that it was not for me. I honestly just enjoy seeing more content up whether it directly appeals to me or not.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#134  Edited By rjpelonia

I watched one episode. Found it boring. See no reason to watch any more.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the poll is making a funny situation funnier

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I don't get is why people are against it. Don't like Dota? Don't watch it, simple, it's not like they're doing anything else in that time frame anyway, so what's the big deal?

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danlongman said:

@make_me_mad said:

It's fun to watch sometimes, but it's also depressing that pretty much everyone involved in every game- Brad and team included- act like complete dicks the whole time.

I have noticed the few times I have tried to watch that they all act like dicks. I just don't watch anymore.

It is pretty depressing how these games seem to breed elitism and jerkery, and more so to hear Brad chiming in on occasion during these streams. I wonder if he realizes that the only difference between him and the players he is berating is that he has a team dedicated to propping up his lack of skill and experience.

As it is, this content is decent background noise. I would be more actively interested if there was more explanation (perhaps Gamespot could supply a mentor/commentator over the shoulder?).

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not for me. I have absolutely no interest in DOTA or MOBAs in general.

This pretty much.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By The_Ruiner

Tried watching one. Got bored. Checked to see if there was a new Bioforge video.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By supamon

If I have the time to watch Brad play Dota, I would rather be playing it myself. Nothing against the content itself but I'm not interested in watching low level play and Dota isn't very watchable for me unless it's high level. Still, it's content so I'll probably watch it eventually when I'm having a "sick of playing games" mood.

SuBsTaNcE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to have to resub to watch it, When my sub last ran out I never bothered to renew becuse I wanted to wait and see if there were going to be a few episodes because the last time I subbed was for Dave's Dwarf fortress series and there were only a couple of episodes then they stopped making it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Nekroskop

Don't really watch it. It's great to bring in more people to the site I guess, but personally I have a dislike for MOBA games of all shapes and sizes.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By mrfluke
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#145  Edited By Hunter5024

It simply doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't know enough about it to find it exciting to watch, I don't want to learn, and I wish he was spending his time on multiple games instead of focusing on one. Imagine if there had been an hour long Brad Bombastica every day instead.

Edit: Didn't mean to sound so harsh about it though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@llamaegg said:

What I don't get is why people are against it. Don't like Dota? Don't watch it, simple, it's not like they're doing anything else in that time frame anyway, so what's the big deal?

I don't have a problem with the feature's existence, necessarily. I think it makes sense that Brad is into Dota and there is at least a small niche among this site's community that plays and enjoys watching it as well, so you may as well do a video or two every once in awhile to appeal to that crowd; that's completely sensible. But if you really want to understand why people don't like the feature, it's because it feels like there's wasted time there. That's, at least, my problem with it. Within 13 days, Brad's put up 19 hours of Dota video content, not counting the time he's spent talking about it on the Bombcast or the times they played it on TNT and Unprofessional Friday. Added up, that's more than the amount of time it took for the VJ run of Deadly Premonition.

It's obviously a bit reductionist to say "well, all of that time could be spent on something else!" since Brad is only one person, it's easy to just hop on a computer and play a match, etc etc. But that's still a lot of time, and I seriously doubt that Brad couldn't find someone else to steal for an hour here and there for other features that reach a broader audience if he really wanted to. It's a matter of efficiency, in a way. Often we'll get told by Jeff or someone else that their workdays are more hectic than we realize, that it's unfair to judge their daily activities and assume that they're wasting their time on things that don't matter, and that there's a reason they can't do extremely time-intensive features. But the truth is, clearly, they can. On the face of things, the Dota feature seems like this completely harmless thing that makes sense, but if you imagine the other possibilities, it's hard to not be a little bummed.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Bubbly

I really like it. Brad and I are pretty much on the same skill level so that makes it even more entertaining. Also, some of you guys do know that it isn't premium content, right? Like TNT the site archives are for premium members only, but anybody can watch the Twitch archive or stream live. I've seen people who think TNT's are premium content so I'm just putting that out there.

game-over

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't care about MOBAs. Personally I would rather have him waste waste time doing another endurance run with typical GB charm, but oh well...

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it. Personaly I think it is the best piece of content currently going up on the site. The main four with Brad, Kessler, Pascual and Crispy are great together. I find myself laughing a ton and learning about the game.

The guys are always going to play games that they just love along with work stuff. Brad just happens to be also giving content along with just playing a game he loves. Considering their jobs they can do work stuff in the office or at home. It seems like a lot of people are actong likethey know how Brad works and him doing this is taking away from so much other stuff. Those people kind of look like jerks to me by assuming that he doesnt know how to properly schedule his work or cantplay a game he wants to play.

Great work daily dota. Please keep it up.

SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: wait, what happened to dave??