#1 Edited by Aegon (5840 posts) -

Art work for the planned release on the Dreamcast has been floating around lately. This is what the characters were originally supposed to look like. Sorceress is quite a bit less endowed.

#2 Posted by Milkman (17328 posts) -

This looks about a thousand times better than what they have now.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11797 posts) -

New stuff looks better.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, this has been in development since the fucking Dreamcast? I thought it got started in 2009 at the earliest.

#5 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Wait, this has been in development since the fucking Dreamcast? I thought it got started in 2009 at the earliest.

It's been Kamitani's dream game ever since the DC era but it didn't get approved back then.

The designs look like they came straight out of Princess Crown, their style has certainly evolved. The fighter lady's pants are more ridiculous than what's been shown of Dragon's Crown.

#6 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

I can't fap to this.

#7 Posted by shinjin977 (799 posts) -

This is from the GC era alright. Drawing inspiration from FF tactics and stuff like that. I prefer the new mage and knight, so there is that.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15157 posts) -

Looks very Final Fantasy tactics. Which, is cool but honestly I like what we got as well.

#9 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

It certainly looks......different.

#10 Posted by Sergio (2254 posts) -

I like both styles, but since the original is very FFT, I prefer the newer one because it's a little bit more "original."

#11 Posted by ModernAlkemie (366 posts) -

@psylah said:

I can't fap to this.

This sounds like a challenge.

#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

The dragon with the crown in the title of the old Dragon's Crown reminded me of baby Leventhan who sports a crown pretty similar to the crown in both Princess Crown and Dragon's Crown. All crown, no adornments.

#13 Posted by Slag (4888 posts) -

I may have to get this game now. Holy crap that's amazing.

#14 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4892 posts) -

Kamitani certainly has grown as an artist. He has a recognizable style now, for instance.

#15 Posted by fdsavcxz (6 posts) -
#16 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

I don't like how childish this one looks, and I don't like how straight up stupid the new one looks. So. Hm.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@slag said:

@video_game_king said:

I may have to get this game now. Holy crap that's amazing.

Not in constant coding development, obviously, but it's been something that Kamitani has wanted to do for a long while. And compared to the Dreamcast-era art style, the final art style is far and away the better choice.

#18 Posted by Flappy (2354 posts) -

Still better than anything I can cook up! Shine on, Kamitani!

#19 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I like that old art style they were previously going for quite a bit.

#20 Posted by DeathTrap (272 posts) -

@psylah said:

I can't fap to this.

#21 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I think I prefer the new art to this original concept art. It just looks a bit dull and almost dated with that late 90s manga look.

#22 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Damn, its been in development for that long, holy shiznet.

#23 Posted by themangalist (1748 posts) -

I definitely prefer the new ones. If not for Kotaku's horrible sensationalist "feminist" article, I bet we would be focus on how much more recognizable and unique the designs of the characters have become.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

If they had of released with that art people would be bitching about how short the skirt is and that it looks like lolicon. Unless a female character is flat chested, wearing a turtleneck, and under 3-4 layers of clothes people will find something to complain about. I like the look of the monsters in that photo, but I think the player characters look better in the released game.

#25 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

Sorceress is indeed less endowed, but thinking about her in this artwork like that is beyond creepy. Give me today's Dragon Crown any day.