Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Driveclub

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

Driveclub is a team-based racing game from Evolution Studios for PlayStation 4.

#DRIVECLUB graphics #UPDATED 19th Sept

• 56 results
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided

(the above video has been publicly available for download since Sep 15, 2013 11:40 AM)

Driveclub is often described as one of the most visually impressive upcoming next generation games, and that’s also due to the wise use of quite a few visual effects often exploited in cinematography and sport filming to add a touch of realism.

The video you can watch at the bottom of the post (courtesy of our tipster @T_Zuck) was distributed to the entrants of a film contest centered on the game, and not only it includes the guidelines to handle the Driveclub brand, but also something a lot more interesting: a brief but lovely explanation of some of the visual effects used to make the game look more real.

You’ll read about depth of field, pulled focus, Go-Pro camera simulation, de-saturation, film grain, imperfect framing of subjects and deliberate imperfections. It’s also extremely interesting to see how all of those effects aim to make the visuals look less perfect, but as a result they contribute to the enhance beauty of the game.

The video is just below for you to enjoy, together with a gallery showcasing the descriptions of the effects mentioned above.

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/21/driveclubs-video-explains-the-secrets-of-the-ps4-exclusives-spectacular-visual-effects-and-more/

No Caption Provided

Today, we’re revealing the bonuses available when you pre-order DRIVECLUB through participating retailers. You’ll have your choice of one of three exclusive packs depending on which store you pre-order from. Each pack includes an exclusive livery design, instant access to a powerful supercar and a boost of fame to increase your driver level in the game and give you and your club a head start over the competition. Check out the packs below and visit playstation.com to see the participating stores near you.

In addition to that, we have another surprise up our exhaust pipe! Purchase DRIVECLUB at retail or digitally via the PlayStation Store, and you’ll get a 50% discount voucher for a 12-month PlayStation Plus subscription. That’s equivalent to six months free and it ensures that you’ll get the most out of DRIVECLUB and your PS4 from the get-go.

Source: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/20/driveclub-pre-order-offers-and-cover-art-revealed/

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

My thoughts

This up and coming upcoming car racing video game is looking like (get it? The game looks pretty nice but I'm using using that term in a subtlety different way #journalism) it's shaping up pretty well, at the very least from a technovisual point of view. The play that the devs are making for a slightly different take on how to 'shoot' virtual car-driving action is quite interesting to me. They seem to be really chasing image quality, visual depth of detail through lighting and camera work, and seem to be shooting for a slightly less glossy, car-showroomy depiction of racing photorealism that we've come to know and love over this past generation or two of consoles. This level of good looking does come at the expense of not having a framerate above 30fps (according to current talk from the devs); which, whilst oft-times would be a very important part of any modern racing game, isn't an out and out deal breaker for me. Hell, even a beast like Gran Turismo 6 can't stay stable at 60fps whilst running in 1080p, yet runs super great at 720p. Everything is a balance when it comes to games that skate along the bleeding edge of visual fidelity, as these types of titles tend to do.

As someone who has played and loved many of the Gran Turismo and Forza video games, I'm somewhat intrigued and more than a little interested in seeing a new kid on the block enter the fray. And even more interested in seeing how a developer makes their first impression on the racing sim world with their initial game coming out on a brand new generation of console.

I also think their choice of going with releasing a PS+ version for free, alongside offering that 50% discount on a subscription of PS+ with every copy sold is super indicative of just how much Sony has learned from their dark days of online through part of the PS3's lifecycle. They seem even hungrier for a piece of that online pie now, whereas they've just looked like they were dipping their toes in before.

Anyone else looking forward to this New Car Racing Game?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I'm reasonably excited for it, but my main concern is what wheels they're supporting. I've read a few rumors that the developers are trying to make as many wheels work with this game as possible. However, I haven't found any info about how far that would extend. It appears there may be a distinct possibility that the g27/25 will work. Not confirmed or anything though. If that's the case they might be able to squish fanatec in there as well because I believe their hardware is very similar to logitech's. I know it'll probably be compatible with the thrustmaster that's out and the one they're making specifically for the ps4... But I don't want to shell out for a different wheel that I would probably like less than my current one. Well, fingers crossed!

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By s-a-n-JR

The way I read the title of this thread, I thought you were ripping into the game! :S

But yeah, looking forward to this. It'll hopefully be a good reason to get a PS4.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is this game still going to be free for PS Plus?

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maajin

Not the full game. A limited, "free-to-play" version of it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll definitely download this if it's free.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that is one fine looking game.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It is a visual splendor that is for sure can't wait to see it actually running.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just hope the final game looks even remotely close to the shots above. Played it at Eurogamer Expo in September and tbh, I thought the game looked and played like crap. Granted this was before they announced the delay but at the time I thought to myself that this was not a great showcase for Sony's shiny new box, not when Forza was only a few metres away. There was little aliasing going on if any at all and the track I drove on didn't exactly blow me away with its detail either. It just didn't look very "next Gen" couple with the oddly stiff and loose driving mechanics, I just left the booth with a feeling of meh.

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By dorkymohr

Cool to see at least an acknowledgment by these devs that the way virtual cameras are used in games can have a profound effect on the look of the game. I did get a little worried from the E3 reveal that the focus seemed to be "look how many polygons we shoved into these cars." Extra horsepower directed towards post processing camera effects instead of polygon density could end up being what defines the current-gen's look.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It definitely looks pretty, but I'm unable to get too hyped yet because we seem to have heard very little about how the game will actually play in the final product: what kind of career mode there will be, how many cars, multiplayer modes, asynchronous multiplayer, etc. For all the talk about "the social driving experience" and "simulating car club culture" and whatnot, I haven't seen too many specifics about what the game will actually be like. Maybe I've just been missing it?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maajin said:
    @counterclockwork87 said:

Not the full game. A limited, "free-to-play" version of it.

It's limited, but they have said you can achieve the game's Platinum trophy with just the PS+ version and that it is only missing some cars and tracks. They haven't said anything in awhile though, so who knows what has changed.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By erhard

"Desaturation is used to add a more honest feel to the footage. It's used often in sports advertising and in TV (including Top Gear) and helps us push the brand further away from the perfect color representations seen in other racing franchises."

How is desaturating colors more honest than representing color as it appears in reality? What a laughably stupid thing to say. Game looks good, though.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@erhard said:

"Desaturation is used to add a more honest feel to the footage. It's used often in sports advertising and in TV (including Top Gear) and helps us push the brand further away from the perfect color representations seen in other racing franchises."

How is desaturating colors more honest than representing color as it appears in reality? What a laughably stupid thing to say. Game looks good, though.

They said "more honest feel," which doesn't imply actual honesty at all. It's just tricking the viewer into thinking it's more honest by making it look less vibrant than you would expect an advertisement/game.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now imagine if all this tech was used on a Motorstorm game. :(

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@erhard said:

They said "more honest feel," which doesn't imply actual honesty at all. It's just tricking the viewer into thinking it's more honest by making it look less vibrant than you would expect an advertisement/game.

Insofar as the word "honest" can even be applied to the way something looks, I don't see how any person with normal perception could be tricked into thinking the unrealistic lack of colorfulness in Top Gear feels more honest than a realistic representation of color would. I think this is a case of marketers using words left and right, as if they don't have actual meanings and definitions. "'Honest' sounds good, right? Sure, Jim Bob, now let's grab lunch."

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: No thanks, never got into the Motorstorm series. Looked pretty, but the actual driving was never fun for me.

This game looks amazing visually. Still know too little about the actual game to get very excited. And is this really a racing sim? I remember people talking about this game as a lot more arcadey before than GT and Forza.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

@bollard said:

@erhard said:

Insofar as the word "honest" can even be applied to the way something looks, I don't see how any person with normal perception could be tricked into thinking the unrealistic lack of colorfulness in Top Gear feels more honest than a realistic representation of color would. I think this is a case of marketers using words left and right, as if they don't have actual meanings and definitions. "'Honest' sounds good, right? Sure, Jim Bob, now let's grab lunch."

Because video games still aren't anywhere near close to how we see things in real life. Emulating how cars look on TV is a much more realistic goal. Most of us have never seen these cars in real life anyways.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Seppli

Looks a lot better than it did during Gamescom, then again almost all footage from there has shown players fucking up badly, and the game not handling fuck-ups in a very believable manner - which likely has colored my impressions negatively.

Didn't think I'd want Driveclub, but NfS Rivals didn't scratch my compulsive highscore chasing racing itch (due to being extremely incovenient for such due to seamless multiplayer integration, not because of lacking core mechanics). With that 50% off a year's PS+ subscription though? I might just give it a go.

P.S. I'm not a fan of these visual techniques. Desaturation and such is a trend that started with Battlefield 3, and I'm quite pissed that it caught on as it did. I like my games to look like games, not like digital camera captured movies.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's important to mention Driveclub isn't a driving sim, It's closer to something like Forza Horizon.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fattony12000

10/07/2014 UPDATE

Your first look at DRIVECLUB’s dynamic weather in action

New videos show off the PS4 racer’s incredible climate simulation

Evolution Studios took the wraps off DRIVECLUB’s dynamic weather system at E3 in Los Angeles this month and we were there to see it demoed live. Today we’ve got some new direct feed gameplay clips of it in action and an interview with the game’s Art Director Alex Perkins.

The clips are all taken from an early demo of the game’s realistic – and fully customisable – weather system, which will be available for DRIVECLUB as a free update for all players shortly after launch.

We’re really excited to give you an early look at how wind, rain, snow and everything in between can affect your races and how you can customise it in your challenges. Take a look at the new videos and then keep reading for more from Alex.

To see the videos in full widescreen, head on over to the DRIVECLUB Facebook page.

How have you approached weather in DRIVECLUB?

Alex Perkins: We’ve approached our weather system with the same guiding principles as we’ve done with everything in DRIVECLUB, to make it as immersive and fun as possible. We’ve developed a powerful engine that has the capability to model the entire environment in stunning detail; from each cloud that makes up our living skies, to every crest and fall in the tarmac beneath your wheels.

From there, we’re breathing additional life into the environments by developing the earth’s atmosphere around it. Originally we focussed on authentic lighting and skies as the tool for you to customise stunning backdrops for fun challenges with your friends. Now, we’re developing a dynamic weather system that plays into all of this, adding another powerful tool to your arsenal.

The cloud cover and conditions you choose will dictate how much snow and rain will fall. The wind direction and speed determines where snow will settle. Then when it stops, the temperature and height of the sun governs how quickly clouds evaporate and roads dry out. We’re really striving for consistency in every detail just like we have done with everything else in the game.

What’s the scale of the weather types in the game? Is it just rain or snow, or can we expect drizzle, sleet, downpours, blizzards and so forth?

Alex Perkins: You can expect every one of those and you can expect it to change dynamically and unpredictably while you race – because we’ve designed it to be just like real weather systems. Spots of rain can become torrential downpours or transition into blizzards, quickly or slowly, and when the clouds clear up the tracks will dry out too.

So if you’re in Norway, for example, you’ll face heavier snow when you’re racing atop the mountains and much lighter snow or sleet when you descend to a lower altitude. Lots of things play into this, like elevation, wind speed and temperature. We can even adjust all the way to zero visibility conditions too – the only limit will be the need to balance things for fun and usability.

And what about really extreme stuff, like thunder and lightning?

Alex Perkins: Deafening thunder storms with flashes of fork lightning are what we’re aiming for. Our intention is to make this as immersive and exciting as we can.

How customisable will the weather be?

Alex Perkins: We want you to be able to create epic races that you want to share with your friends because they took your breath away. Just like we do with time of day, skies and time lapse speed, we’re going to add lots of options for you to be able to adjust how the weather plays out in your challenges. We don’t want to just offer fixed settings for “rain” or “snow”, we want it to be dynamic and exciting. We’re still working on how best to present this to you and we’ll show more closer to launch.

On that note, can you go into details on exactly what implications dynamic weather has on gameplay?

Alex Perkins: As you’d expect, weather is a game changer. When your tires get wet it’s harder to brake and easier to drift, which has a big effect on how you race and score fame for your club. It’s not just the handling that changes though, visibility can also change massively and impact on how the game plays too, especially at night when you’ve got your windscreen wipers going like crazy and your headlights are reflecting on the snowflakes ahead of you to blanket the sky in white.

Accurately replicating real life weather sounds like a massive technical challenge? Is that fair?

Alex Perkins: Challenging ourselves is part of what makes us Evolution Studios. We’re very ambitious and we want to keep pushing our own tools and the power of PS4 to create new and exciting game play experiences. We’ve had to learn a lot about weather systems and experiment with how it interacts with everything else in the game.

It’s all about the detail: the dampening surfaces, moisture absorption, changing material appearances, lighting in the sky, and so on. It’s amazing to see this come together; to see little details like rain forming puddles that can hold water, then dry out or get bigger depending on the terrain topology and changes to the temperature. To be able to make a break-thru like this is what makes the new PlayStation 4 hardware so exciting.

As ever we are pouring our hearts into every detail, to make sure we have a weather system that looks real and is exciting for you to play with.

Source: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/07/08/first-look-driveclubs-dynamic-weather-action-2/

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Looks like things are shaping up quite nicely...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By mike

I hope the actual game will have a better framerate than those gifs.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

I hope the actual game will have a better framerate than those gifs.

I hope they stick with the 539x300 resolution, personally.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mb: I believe they said they're targeting 30 FPS for the game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

It's certainly looks pretty. That's enough to grab me. I'll try the free version and see how I like it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool, hope every car has a cockpit that is that detailed.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#28  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I do hate third person cameras. Dashboard/cockpit views are my thing, but that said, having a camera view from the BACK SEAT is kinda ridiculous.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So will PS3 wheels work with the PS4 after all?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It certainly looks nice, though it also looks like he drives straight through a road sign without anything happening.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That looks freaking nice. I really hope the actual game looks like that, because then it's "your move, Forza", though Horizon 2 is looking damn fine itself. I thought it was pretty ridiculous that the PS4 shipped without its own racer (one of the factors that pushed me towards X1 this gen), but Driveclub may turn out to be worth the wait. Good stuff.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

This looks much better than I thought it would. After the delay I was a bit concerned. Might have to end up checking this out eventually.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Considering that PS3 Fightsticks don't work with PS4 I highly doubt it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vanick

It sure looks pretty. I'm looking forward to checking out the PS+ Edition and if I enjoy it I might go ahead it get the full game.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I'm not usually a framerate snob, but in racing games your really can notice a difference sometimes. Sure is purty, though.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mooseymcman said:

I'm not usually a framerate snob, but in racing games your really can notice a difference sometimes. Sure is purty, though.

My reaction to most framerate stuff is that so long as it's consistent, I don't mind. Which is not to say 60 isn't better (it is), but for me, a solid 30 is fine. Let's hope it's solid.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Holy hell this looks fucking GORGEOUS.

Some of those shots look photo-realistic. Probably less so when it's full screen, but still, awesome!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fattony12000

Forty one minutes and twelve seconds of video...

Loading Video...

Yes, this YT video was taken from a Twitch stream. Yes. I know. The quality.

More Moving Images...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought into this so hard last summer and became an evangelist for it. After the delay and the rebuilding of the game, I had to admit that this may not be what I hope it is. So, I'm a little nervous with an unproven simulation game from a studio that's always made games that were arcade racers (even WRC was arcade-y). I'll give it a go with the PS Plus trial, but my money is going to Forza. I'll continue hoping that it comes out really well (because having two different franchises on two different consoles would leave me with enough content for year-round play and would be awesome) but I'm not going to buy Day One. I'll see how the trial plays.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still looks fucking amazing.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fattony12000

A recent presentation given in Milan showed off some sweet snowy goodness from this upcoming Driving Video Game. It looks like it just keeps looking better and better!

Loading Video...

Also, that UK/EU/AUS steelbook, mmm...

No Caption Provided

The crazy stuff that you can do with the photo mode is super appealing to me, personally. I spent hours messing around with that stuff in Halo 3 because it was so awesome and so powerful, I almost feel that I could spend as much time in DriveClub's photo mode as burning rubber!

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who all is getting this? Will there be any Giant bomb clubs formed?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll grab the freebie and see how it drives. Didn't think it was so soon. This and Project Cars in the same month. Someone's going home empty-handed.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there still going to be a PS+ version?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Sweet case.

gulinotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this is surprising! I hadnt checked this out in a long while but it looks really nice...

But then theres Project Cars...and i can play it on PC...what do i do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.