Sixaxis components

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

It's possible I missed it in the conference, but I haven't seen anyone else reporting it either: outside of the Move compatibility, does the new Dualshock completely drop Sixaxis?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't think it needs six-axis if it's Move-capable, but what do I know.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw nothing about it, it was pointless any ways right???

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@spoonman671 said:

I'm thinking independent of the camera. My understanding of Move is that, without the camera, it simply doesn't work.

I saw nothing about it, it was pointless any ways right???

Yeah, to be honest when I think of Sixaxis features that were 'okay' they were still the most superfluous shit. It seems like Sony are being forthright about a lot of things they didn't necessarily get right last time, but I'm still a little surprised about this one.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zaccheus
EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Ah, right.

Also, I assumed the holes were for a microphone rather than a speaker. Hmmm.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zaccheus

Ah, right.

DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221b_e.html

edwardt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A 3-D space need only be described by 3 axes.

They were too embarrassed with their mistake, as such they said no more.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

@evilnights said:

Ah, right.

DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller.

Yeah, saw that. Logically it just seemed better served by a microphone, which would have then given them greater flexibility with the headsets (not exactly Sony's thing, but theoretically if you had a mic on the controller then you could just use standard earphones, so there'd be less need to pack in a headset thus sidestepping one of the problems of present day PSN). Plus I imagine any sound coming out of that thing won't be "high-fidelity" at all.

Not trying to sound down on the whole thing, but it seems like an odd choice.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By KamasamaK

@edwardt said:

A 3-D space need only be described by 3 axes.

They were too embarrassed with their mistake, as such they said no more.

three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer = six-axis... right? You can totally add them.

And that doesn't even include position in 3D space, which the Move solved and I suppose the Light Bar for the DualShock 4 should address to some extent.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@zaccheus said:

@evilnights said:

Ah, right.

Yeah, saw that. Logically it just seemed better served by a microphone, which would have then given them greater flexibility with the headsets (not exactly Sony's thing, but theoretically if you had a mic on the controller then you could just use standard earphones, so there'd be less need to pack in a headset thus sidestepping one of the problems of present day PSN). Plus I imagine any sound coming out of that thing won't be "high-fidelity" at all.

Not trying to sound down on the whole thing, but it seems like an odd choice.

That sounds like a good way to go, though the mechanical noise from the controller would likely render it useless, right between the analog sticks means a lot of click clacking would get picked up.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@reisz: @zaccheus: Also you're not holding the controller as you hold a phone. The position is farther away and varies between different persons and when you play a game. Especially in a sixaxis enabled game. So the microphone has a hard time telling which of the noise its picking up is your voice. This would bring us barking dogs, yelling friends and awkward appearances of discussions with angry moms and the like in online games.

You could build the microphone in the camera and try to voice detect who is speaking (Kinect anyone?). But who wants to yell at his TV in the middle of the night and does it really work reliably?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilNiGHTS
@jgf said:

This would bring us awkward appearances of discussions with angry moms and the like in online games.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Ah well, it's new hardware: there's always bound to be *something* dumb about it. I suppose it'll probably end up like the one on the Wiimote and eventually just not get used. As it stands it just seems like it'll suck extra juice from the battery and increase latency to boot.

The press release says the headset jack supports stereo headsets, whereas the one used for voice chat will be mono. I wonder if that means you can plug headphones into the controller and get full audio whenever you want your TV to be quiet? That'd be useful.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgf said:

You could build the microphone in the camera and try to voice detect who is speaking (Kinect anyone?). But who wants to yell at his TV in the middle of the night and does it really work reliably?

Incorporated four microphones are also capable of accurate sound detection and source origination.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671 said:

I'm thinking independent of the camera. My understanding of Move is that, without the camera, it simply doesn't work.

Correct.... it needs to be able to see the bright light