#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I just watched Sony's latest promo video featuring Blizzard designers talking up the Dualshock 4 in regards to the upcoming PS4 version of Diablo III.

They go on and on about how Diablo III feels great on a gamepad. However when it comes to telling me why inventory management with the trackpad is supposed to be *great*, there's no real reason given. No explanation at all. I can't imagine how the trackpad is adding anything great to Diablo 3. I can't even imagine it being really functional. The trackpad's entire reason for existing is a major mystery to me. From its placement (making it strictly an alternative to the analogsticks, rather than an additive), to its actual practical uses - I just don't get its deal.

What can I do better with the Dualshock 4's trackpad, than with a Dualshock 3? I've got no touchpad/touchscreen gaming experience whatsoever, I just don't see any real uses for it. I'd love to hear a good pitch for it, because I sure as hell can't provide a good reason for its existence myself. Maybe if it was on the bottom of the pad, like the trackpad on the PS Vita...

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14386 posts) -

What's better about it is that it means Sony can sell you a whole new set of overpriced controllers rather than letting you reuse your old overpriced controllers. Which means more money for Sony.

#3 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Just thought for a second that maybe some minigames could benefit greatly from such a thing. Like the famous ones in GTA Chinatown Wars on the DS. But then it hit me, whatever minigames would use the touchpad, they could never be as intricate as on a DS, simply because it's a touchpad, and not a touchscreen. You can't skillfully screw loose a car radio. Can't stack your drugs just so in your trunk.

It's a broad strokes interface device. Or am I seeing that wrong? Short of controlling a cursor with the touchpad - who the hell wants to do that anyways - it's quite useless when it comes to high precision input tasks.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (24862 posts) -

Basically, imagine a Vita, but with the touchpad on the front of the controller instead of on the back. So really, it's usefulness is questionable.

#5 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Imagine a Dreamcast VMU, but without the screen. Also, you can touch the screen, but it doesn't show anything. And maybe it'll do something.

To be fair, I'm glad it's there. But the more I think about it, the more I feel that adding a touchscreen to a Dual Shock, a design that hasn't really changed since the 90s, is silly. Sony should make a new controller with touch functionality, instead of bolting it on to a thing that hasn't changed in decades.

#6 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

It's one of those features that will take some time before it's put to actual good use, if ever.

#7 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I think it can be explained very simply;

People have bought a lot of laptops, macbooks and tablets,

therefore,

People love touchscreens and trackpads,

ergo,

People must hate buttons and pointing devices,

because,

Buttons and pointers are, like, really hard and stuff,

so, you see,

We should put a trackpad on our device so that people who do not play games with controllers can try to navigate our most complex and finicky UIs on a 2"x1" touch interface while looking at the tv, requiring the hand-eye co-ordination of fighter pilot. Accessibility, huzzah!

#8 Edited by Demoskinos (14848 posts) -

So they can make anime games where you touch girls boobs.

#9 Edited by Harabec (82 posts) -

Do you get force feedback and is there oculus rift support?

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14848 posts) -

@harabec said:

@demoskinos said:

Well of course.

#11 Posted by Harabec (82 posts) -

@harabec said:

@demoskinos said:

Well of course.

Where do I place my pre-order?

#12 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Yeah, it's pretty baffling to me too. lol.

#13 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@harabec said:

@demoskinos said:

@harabec said:

@demoskinos said:

Well of course.

Where do I place my pre-order?

In my pants.

#14 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

@seppli: You could actually just be controlling a pointer like a laptop mouse pad. I'm pretty sure it supports the ability to tap to select like a laptop mouse pad does as well. That could make a clickable interface possible just like the PC version of Diablo.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11923 posts) -

I imagine it would work quite similarly to a laptop's mousepad. If Diablo's inventory screen looks anything like Torchlight 2's then yes, I can see a mousepad working just fine for inventory. It might take some getting used to - you'll probably have to adjust your hands every time you want to equip something new - but I could definitely see it working all right.

#16 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

It will be helpful in RPGs.