Dustforce DX

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hitbox just released an update for the game, it attempts to smooth out the difficulty CLIFF you face pretty early on. Better tutorial, restructured level hub, more easy levels to feel out the game and tonnes of great community maps. If you got stuck or something early on, now might be a good time to revisit it.

Also THIS IS THE BEST 2D PLATFORMER EVER MADE oh god why is it so good, I only made this thread to say its criminally underrated, it has no skill ceiling it has no limit to how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go, I cant think of any other 2d platformer which rewards this level of mastery (it feels like playing guitar hero on expert, so much FLOW).

Anyways I know nobody cares but I want you to know that I know that this game is amazing.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Oh sweet, maybe I'll finally be able to reach those levels in the Forest I couldn't get to. It's crazy when there's a difficultly spike in just GETTING to the levels lol.

I also love this game, but I'm probably one of the only people who prefers to play it on a keyboard.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This game never clicked for me. I bought it after finishing Super Meat Boy as I needed a new 2D-platforming fix (that I never found, Electronic Super Joy got close but it was... imperfect).

I felt like it was more of thinking man platformer. You need to know the level and plan the perfect route through it. Often you need to restart even if you did not die because you messed up said route. And the level felt a little too long to restart all the time.

I might try it again. It always seemed really good.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I got 15 minutes in and never played again. Not often I find a game that I actively dislike, but I hated the feel of it.

But cool for people into the game, I suppose.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll give this another go. Didn't play a whole lot of it when it came out so will use this as an excuse to try again.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought this game and haven't really touched it, loved it though. Does this update also come for the vita version? because that's what I have.

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By StoutLager

I am one of the many who gave this game a few hours upon initial release, exclaimed "these controls are screwy and i don't like them," moved on.

Came back in for the DX update. Gave a more patient determined trial run of about 5 hours or so. The good news? I understand the wall/ceiling run mechanic now. I still don't like it but I know how to use it, finally. There's actually only one reason I don't like that mechanic. Well two, but the second one is really minor (err... three):

1. It seems to me -maybe i'm wrong and missing something?- that running on wall or ceiling is not treated the same as running on the ground in so far as the reset of your allowable jumps and dashes are concerned. You can't, for instance, single jump to ceiling run, let go, and double jump after that. You only get one jump or one dash after you release ceiling (or two with purple). Which is really weird to me. The intuitive thing for me would be any time I am running on a surface should equal grounded which should equal all jumps/dashes available from that state. It gets even more confusing when you go; jump to wall, jump off to mid air, jump back to wall, jump off to mid air, can't jump back to wall a second time (third with purple).

2. And the minor quibble. The controls would be more intiutive to me if wall/ceiling grab was opt-out as opposed to opt-in. In other words, I would like to automatically stick to a surface unless I am pressing a button to prevent that from happening.

3. Oh and third. Momentum loss during wall/ceiling run. I don't care for that. I would rather you just fall off from full speed instead of slowy down at the end of your allotted stick duration.

*this is PC version btw. I don't know if there's a difference.