Anyone else tired of the constant snarkiness from the staff?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@bushpusherr said:

@wewantsthering said:

I think most of the time it's pretty funny, but Jeff has just been obnoxious lately. He almost never has anything good to say about anything.

Total hyperbole. He was completely positive, and at times very excited, for many things shown during the press conferences. He's just loud about the things he doesn't like (and usually in a quite entertaining way), that's all.

Normally I would agree, but he's just been an ass lately, in a not funny way. Ryan isn't there to bring the balance to Jeff anymore. :-(

You're pulling the Ryan card to say that Jeff sucks? That's cold blooded. And not in a way that I can respect.

Two thumbs down to you.

JoshyLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No. Liking stuff is for losers. The more negative, the cooler you seem.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wewantsthering: Eh, at some point it becomes subjective, but I haven't noticed Jeff seriously bang on something without at least giving big hints as to why he doesn't like it. The guy's picky.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By wallee321

I have to disagree with the idea that Jeff's negative. I don't know what types of games he likes, its pretty random, but most of time he, prefaces games saying that while he didn't like game x, it does thing y well or okay. If your a fan of games like game x or thing y they, maybe check it out. Most of his commentary seems to be fairly even handed, but I think a lot of people miss this, since most of the time he starts out describing a game by saying it was only okay or really wasn't his thing, he doesn't say the game is horrible.

@anund: I really don't know why you would think Alex is jaded, most of the time it seems like him and Patrick are excited about games, especially platforms and colorful playful games that don't take themselves too seriously.

I feel like Brad is excited about some, but not all games. Part of the problem with him is that it can be hard to tell, since he doesn't have the most out going or strongest personality (like say, Jeff, Vinny, or Ryan had). It isn't uncommon for him to say something positive or a joke and have it fall on death ears during content. Also, I feel like you have to take his opinion with a grain of salt, since he's been tainted by the MOBA bug of always wanting to play DOTA 2. Some of the deals he was trying to make on last years goty deliberations, where kind of scary, how much he was willing to give up to move DOTA 2 up the top ten list.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By Anund

@wallee321 said:

I have to disagree with the idea that Jeff's negative. I don't know what types of games he likes, its pretty random, but most of time he, prefaces games saying that while he didn't like game x, it does thing y well or okay. If your a fan of games like game x or thing y they, maybe check it out. Most of his commentary seems to be fairly even handed, but I think a lot of people miss this, since most of the time he starts out describing a game by saying it was only okay or really wasn't his thing, he doesn't say the game is horrible.

@anund: I really don't know why you would think Alex is jaded, most of the time it seems like him and Patrick are excited about games, especially platforms and colorful playful games that don't take themselves too seriously.

I feel like Brad is excited about some, but not all games. Part of the problem with him is that it can be hard to tell, since he doesn't have the most out going or strongest personality (like say, Jeff, Vinny, or Ryan had). It isn't uncommon for him to say something positive or a joke and have it fall on death ears during content. Also, I fell like you have to take his opinion with a grain of salt, since he's been tainted the MOBA bug of always wanting to play DOTA 2. Some of the deals he was trying to make on last years goty deliberations, where kind of scary, how much he was willing to give up to move DOTA 2

That was actually my whole point. Alex is not jaded, but he tries to act like he is when Jeff does. Bugs me.

@video_game_king said:
@spraynardtatum said:

@anund: ALEX IS FUCKING AWESOME YOU SUMBITCH

He's the one person I can trust to get snark right.

Funny, whenever he talks I want to stuff my ears with razorblades. Specially when he tries to be funny.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake said:

This thread just brought out the Giantbomb hive mind in full force.

I hate when people dismiss those who disagree with a negative opinion of GB as "the GB hive mind" or some such bullshit. Stop with that shit.

Anyways, I think they haven't been very snarky this E3, or at least not more snarky than the show has deserved thus far.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@anund: Yep, Alex is the beaten lackey of Jeff with no will of his own. That's why he kept telling Jeff to shut the fuck up during the Yoshi preview.

What.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can handle the snark from the GB crew, but I simply can not stand anyone from the GS teams at all. Their tweets this week have made me want to come out E3 and slap some sense into them. It's all about how you present your snark: a nose in the air or a sarcastic grin.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guys all seem to have unique tastes, and that is fine. Patrick and Vinny seem rather open minded about delving into a variety of different games. Brad goes for the strategy, DOTA, and more twitchy kinda games. Drew tends to try the more obscure stuff. Alex will give most things a fair shake. Jeff does seem like he is probably the most cynical of the bunch, but to each his own. I imagine when you play hundreds of games a year over the course of a few decades it probably takes a lot to impress you.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but i kinda of expect it to happen and it only bugs me when it comes to completely well made games being talk down on. I don't really follow the giant bomb coverage completely during e3, i just watch all the recaps and e3 podcasts. The live coverage i watch raw while jumping around different sites to get a general impression of the events. So at that point i don't mind hearing their opinions even if they are a bit jaded, because i just put them in the pile of other opinions that covers a wide range of emotions from excited to super jaded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firstly, I think the format of the streams meant it was very slanted towards snark. However, I watched the the Nintendo press conference stream, and really found no problem with the tone of the stream. Maybe it's because I am not a Nintendo fan (though I love Zelda I have no affinity for the other stuff), but apart from Zelda and that ink game, I just saw a cavalcade of sequels some of which looked almost exactly the same as past games. I guess I am just at a similar place with games as Jeff, but I didn't pick up any overt negativity from Jeff. I don't need the Giant Bomb staff to be a second phalanx of cheerleaders at E3.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To be faiiir...

FUCK YOSHI AND TOAD THEY FUCKING SUCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm pretty done with GB. See ya. It was fun while it was actually good.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firstly, I think the format of the streams meant it was very slanted towards snark. However, I watched the the Nintendo press conference stream, and really found no problem with the tone of the stream. Maybe it's because I am not a Nintendo fan (though I love Zelda I have no affinity for the other stuff), but apart from Zelda and that ink game, I just saw a cavalcade of sequels some of which looked almost exactly the same as past games. I guess I am just at a similar place with games as Jeff, but I didn't pick up any overt negativity from Jeff. I don't need the Giant Bomb staff to be a second phalanx of cheerleaders at E3.

Nail on the head right there. I thought 'I've played this game before/seen this game before and by played/seen this game before I mean I've played or seen this game every year of my life' on everything shown other than Zelda and that multiplayer team shooter which looked super interesting. It made me feel jaded in a way I didn't think I would, I had just come off a 4 hour long hike and felt great and fresh as well as optimistic and saw this press conference and the overlong explanations of everything and drawn out videos of old ideas and ended up super cynical.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I agree there is plenty of coverage people can get that is little more than extended advertisements for the game. I appreciate knowing what the guys really think about what they are seeing without them feeling the need to filter it into some kind of PR speak garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the constant cynicism was getting to me last night, so I actually switched to the Twitch stream so I wouldn't have to listen to them anymore. Jeff really needs a foil, hopefully one of the new guys they eventually bring in will balance it out.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Anund

@superkenon said:

@anund: Yep, Alex is the beaten lackey of Jeff with no will of his own. That's why he kept telling Jeff to shut the fuck up during the Yoshi preview.

What.

Didn't watch the Nintendo stream. That said, I am willing to admit the fact that I just don't find Alex entertaining at all probably makes me look for fault in what he does and says regardless.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By coaxmetal

snark is what I come for

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo: It has been GameSpot lately honestly. They have good news and other shows that are polished without the weird IGN fakeness. GB has become videos of Jeff playing really old games and him complaining about most games. Waiting to hear from support on deleting my account here.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#173  Edited By Relkin

I come to hear their opinions, whatever they may be. Perhaps I'm interested in something they all couldn't care less about, and that's fine. People tend to either display (what some may call naive) optimism, or skepticism. Honestly I think most of them naturally gravitate towards the former, but when it comes down to it, the latter is more entertaining. A bunch of guys saying, "Looks cool!" for the duration of one of these conferences wouldn't be worth watching. And while Jeff may be the most snarky/negative of the bunch, at least hes funny about it. His whole bit with Yoshi was great. I'm personally looking forward to that game, and I loved his whole rant on it.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund: Yeah, I figured. You're certainly free to not enjoy the guy, 'cause opinions and shit. Had to raise my eyebrow at the weird narrative you were spinning there, though.

Probably should give the man a chance, if only 'cause he'll be Vinny's sole partner in crime soon. Heck, maybe that dynamic will help him shine more. We'll see.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Milkman

I like when they react to things like humans. If they're excited for something, they'll act excited. If they're not, they won't. If you're looking for someone to scream "YEAH FUCK YEAH BRO VIDEO GAMES" about every single game revealed then there's plenty of places you can go for that. The constant whining is way more annoying than any "cynicism."

Also, some people's evoking of Ryan to try to reason why they're bored of a video game website is fucking gross and needs to stop.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be overly sensitive ninnies.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By GunslingerPanda

No, because I too find it hard to be enthused by pre-rendered CG trailers, "new" iterations on overdone genres, and "remastered" editions of games from a fucking year ago.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh whatever. Shit was hilarious, especially Jeff going IN on Yoshi. I fucking love Yoshi, so to hear someone explain their distaste for the character so immensely, you can't help but to laugh. Best of the E3 coverage out there. I think it may be time for me to go premium.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Taking E3 seriously would be super boring, I mean half the damn show was just decapitations and throat slashing. How do you not poke fun at something so gratuitous, juvenile and fucking stupid?

Also, the second a member of the press gets really excited for something, the internet just calls them shills or cheerleaders, it's a no win scenario.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund: Yeah, I figured. You're certainly free to not enjoy the guy, 'cause opinions and shit. Had to raise my eyebrow at the weird narrative you were spinning there, though.

Probably should give the man a chance, if only 'cause he'll be Vinny's sole partner in crime soon. Heck, maybe that dynamic will help him shine more. We'll see.

Yeah, needless to say I am not overjoyed by the whole GB East thing, hehe. But if I have to endure Alex to get my Vinny-fix, I guess I will have to give it a go. Maybe I'll even come to appreciate Alex.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're asking them to change how they act to suit you? Get off the site if you don't like their style. They've always been like this, this is nothing new.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Why does everybody feel that the staff would be betraying themselves if they were more enthusiastic in general? You can go for self-improvement without selling out/becoming phony.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By casper_

GB is weird in that even some relatively mild criticism gets extremely strong responses from a lot of people. often telling them if they dont like it, leave.

this guy comes in and is polite but still gets shut down like he is some complete asshole or something.

HotelDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny, a topic complaining about how all the editors at Giantbomb do nothing but complain about video games has resulted in nothing but complaining? Color me surprised.

Sorry, but I've long since lost meaning of the word snark so I had to ruin complain for everyone.

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I understand it could annoying but it's what people are turning up for. It's like watching top gear and being annoyed that Jeremy clarkson is on, what did you expect.

E3 is a collection of press releases it probably deserves to have the piss taken out of it.

What I'm trying to say is I respect your attempt to defy the circle jerk. And I will defend your right to defy the circle jerk with my life, but I will not...what was I saying oh yeah all the feels

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@relkin:

In the context of this thread, yes.

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually love Jeff's disdain for most things and welcome it. Even if I,dont agree with him, I still find it funny. Like his hate for Red Dead and Last of Us. (examples of the crew not all collectively agreeing for the sake of agreeing.) Both games that i love deeply, and yet his unwavering hate for them makes me chuckle. He is dead set on his opinions and knows what he likes. I never got the impression that the crew all rallies behind one opinion. The podcasts, especialy the game of the year deliberations, wouldn't be so damn interesting if that were the case. The whole "Fuck Yoshi" thing was a perfect example. Jeff is a well known Yosji hater, and plays it up to piss off Patrick. No one agreed with him. Actually I thought the reaction of the crew during Nintendo's event was positively, surprisingly so from Jeff who seemed to have written them off at this point.

Their commentary only ever bothered me a couple of times, when i couldnt hear what was going on, but it wasnt because of what they were saying and I chose to watch that stream because i like them. They do have a seperate stream for those who want the pure experience. Perhaps next time you could use that one if it bothers you so much?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Relkin

@video_game_king: Well I don't agree with that. I don't think its an improvement, its just different.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By benspyda

Jeff's been pretty funny throughout the conferences.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ElixirBronze

I think part of the reason why snark is such an integral part of this site is because these guys are old, and they've kind of seen it all several times over (especially Jeff, again). They, if anyone, has earned the right to be snarky by now. That might not appeal to everybody, and believe me, I understand if it doesn't, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, they are never going to become less snarky, so you might as well give up that dream.

And I disagree with you on the whole peer preassure around the table thing. I saw a healthy amount of differences of opinions during the conferences and I'm sure you did too.

Hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I would disagree with OP, but after watching the Nintendo one I have to agree some. It was a fun reveal, and I kept thinking "lighten the fuck up guys."

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The snark is why I am here.

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My opinion really comes down to two things.

A) they honestly don't seem that negative

B) when they are negative, it is usually fair, honest, and/or funny

Plus I really don't see where you're getting the whole peer pressure thing from, the guys disagree with each other constantly.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I like it but it never ends and that's the problem. Also, its oddly inconsistent about who they tolerate and will make fun of for certain things.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo: It has been GameSpot lately honestly. They have good news and other shows that are polished without the weird IGN fakeness. GB has become videos of Jeff playing really old games and him complaining about most games. Waiting to hear from support on deleting my account here.

...Why? Just stop coming.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm pretty done with GB. See ya. It was fun while it was actually good.

just a weeeeeeeeeee bit dramatic there, eh?

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#199  Edited By forkboy

@anund: Assume you didn't see the Nintendo thing then? When Alex was squealing with delight at the Yoshi yarn game as Jeff was doing his old dismissal of Yoshi games because he didn't like Yoshi's Island. Sure, he has no voice of his own and just apes Jeff.

Edited because you later addressed this and just don't like Alex so may look for faults which I don't agree with but obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. So fair enough.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By ripelivejam

@dexterkid: You're wrong. Nobody was forcing you to watch; you should just go to a different website and 'calm down', etc etc.

(just realized this should have been my initial and only response)