Did anyone else notice the ASL in Tacoma

Paraptorkeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My son is autistic and non verbal. One of the ways we're learning to speak to him is using American Sign Language. So when I saw those gestures the main character uses to input her password in the Tacoma trailer I recognized them as letters in the ASL Alphabet. Her password is PROVEN-something. It goes too fast for me and I'm used to seeing signs facing me not from the back. Is anyone here more fluent in ASL than me?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@paraptorkeet: Can't help you with the translation, unfortunately, but I just wanted to echo how awesome it was to see ASL in the game.

Not sure if the player character is deaf/non-verbal, but I really hope that sign language somehow plays a part in the story. Maybe even teaching some of us who've always wanted to learn!

Totally unrelated, but that trailer also reminded me of two girls in my elementary school who were verbal themselves, but still learned ASL as a way to covertly talk to each other in class when they were bored. Sign Language isn't only great for folks who rely on it for communication. ;)

missjewleeuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FizzyAmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm deaf here, it said provonace(?)451. "?" is a fictional sign with used two hands, not in ASL dictionary.

Paraptorkeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey thanks everyone who responded. I can't wait to play this game. Maybe I can put my Sign language skills to the test finding secrets in the game or at the very least get some practice in. It's really cool that in an age where everyone is trying to come up with gesture based interface system ala Minority Report, It took a game developer to say, "hey guys one already exists and it's almost 200 years old!"

Paraptorkeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally unrelated, but that trailer also reminded me of two girls in my elementary school who were verbal themselves, but still learned ASL as a way to covertly talk to each other in class when they were bored. Sign Language isn't only great for folks who rely on it for communication. ;)

My wife and I use ASL to talk to each other across a crowded room. It's easier than shouting.

Myxer982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I could read (and then Googled the rest) it looks like provenance "command" or "commandment" 451, with a gesture to open.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My wife and I use ASL to talk to each other across a crowded room. It's easier than shouting.

Nice! Easier and quieter too. ;)