E3 2015 Prediction: Xbox One Redesign?

TJUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I've been waiting for an (inevitable?) Xbox One hardware redesign before I buy into Microsoft's console. I'm not expecting a change to the specs, but I would like to see a shrinking of the overall size, cleaner lines perhaps and the ability to stand it vertically. What do you think the chances are that we will see this announced at this years E3?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well i dont know how Microsoft thinks but that monster has been in dire need of a redesign from the start. Make it half the size, drop useless gadgets like kinect and cable, integrate the powerbrick and enable hotswapping of HDD. It wouldnt be such a hassle for them trying to sell it if they just packaged it right.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would be super surprised to see any sort of physical redesign at this E3, it's just to soon. Maybe next year but i still think thats pushing it.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be super surprised to see any sort of physical redesign at this E3, it's just to soon. Maybe next year but i still think thats pushing it.

I both think he's right and hope he's right. I'll feel like a jacknob if they put out a new/better model after I've gotten so little use out of the damn thing. :<

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the webstore that put it up early were right there will be a terabyte-unit introduced, with a (mainland European) release-date of June 23rd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they'll announce a model with a larger hard drive, but I have strong doubts that they'll do a full physical redesign this year. There was news late last year that AMD and Microsoft had developed a 20nm version of the Xbox One's APU, but actually getting that into production is a whole different ballgame. If they have that thing ready for a 2015 launch, I will be incredibly surprised.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colourful_hippie

I would expect something like that to happen next year. It would be nice though because this console is stupid huge. I don't care about having it stand vertically because I don't even bother doing that with my PS4. All I want is a smaller form factor and for the thing to actually be quiet. Yeah the console itself is quiet because all of the noise generated is from the damn power supply. The fan on that thing is ridiculous even when idling, fix that shit!

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By enemylandlord

It seems much too soon for redesigns to start hitting, but I'll agree the One could definitely use one. I think there's a good chance of seeing regular production 1TB versions of both One and PS4 though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nah, I don't think we'll see a redesign just yet. I bet they'll announce some killer new features/update, but that's about it. I can't fathom them doing a physical redesign already.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Contact Microsoft, get it replaced, you have a faulty power brick.

No chance of a hardware redesign this year, far too early. The same complete misunderstanding of the hardware business as people who think the NX is coming next year just because they said they're working on it.

Also would be surprised if they cut the Kinect bundle option/kinect port and HDMI in on it, that's just fracturing your user base. Replaceable hard drives are nice but external drives are really no hassle and have the benefits of being portable between devices if you ever need to replace the box, take digital games round friends etc.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Only difference I will expect is a bigger hard drive. I don't expect a redesign until at least next year.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internal circuitry has been updated in the PS4 enough for it to go through certification at least three times (around the world), some smaller consumption of power, less heat-wattage output, more reliable bits. I do not remember anything Xbox One going through the same so it may very well still be on the original revision of internal components (barring the HD, maybe the BR drive also) that taped out 2013. The Xbox One has an incredibly complex APU with those 32 megs of esRAM on the die, where as the PS4's APU is as close it gets to being off-the-shelf after all.

For so many reasons I think the Xbox One will keep that TiVo HD case for a very good long time. Same for the PS4 keeping its, but that's because it's unlikely to shrink in size without suffering for it.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only things I would change on the xbox one are the size and the hard drive. the look and design are way superior to the ps4 that looks like a design from the early 2000's. I have both consoles and the One looks at it's place in an entertainment setup whil the ps4 looks like an odd object. The size though is it's strong suit.And the hard drive shoulb be 2 tb.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wacomole

Maybe they'll add a handle... and wheels. That thing is crazy big.

But seriously, it does seem ever-so slightly early for the inevitable redesign. Then again this IS Microsoft's big year for New Stuff, so who knows?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I'd imagine a software overhaul would be in store before a hardware one but neither would surprise me. I'm sure they're looking for something that would help spur sales numbers.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'd imagine a software overhaul would be in store before a hardware one but neither would surprise me. I'm sure they're looking for something that would help spur sales numbers.

Yeah, this is my guess, too.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd say too early if I didn't think Microsoft immediately went to the drawing board when Phil took over and built a system that removes all the TV crap. They'd probably introduce a new UI at that time as well.

So I'm not sure. Sooner they can do it the better. I've got this fat wad of cash in my hands right now and I'm stuck between buying a Wii-U or Xbox One, or both... or nothing because it'd be best to buy in November and the current Xbox One bundles are crap.. I don't need either of them except that I'm going to buy them eventually anyway.. why not get it out of the way now? I also don't like waiting for things and I've got a massive list of other stuff I can spend money on right now soooo..

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By liquiddragon

i think i read somewhere smaller chips were coming this fall or winter for both so redesign is probably likely next year.

smaller chips came before new design for ps1/ps2/ps3/360.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A disappointing E3 for Sony all around.

Moderate approval of Microsoft.

Everybody will go crazy for Nintendo's treehouse stuff.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Vextroid

I don't see a redesign for a while. I imagine part of the big design for the One was Microsoft being scared of the RROD last time and having better air flow and cooling this time around. Until Microsoft are comfortable with future smaller chip redesigns and having a good small form factor cooling system in place it maybe awhile for a smaller design.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I think we'll see a disc-drive-less redesign of the Xbox 360 this year, but no new Xbox One quite yet. Like a lot of people have already mentioned, the new smaller chipsets are probably not ready yet. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new SKU early next year though.

Then again, they could sell the current SKU at a discount during the holiday season and blow out stock while simultaneously bringing a new model to market.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dunno- everyone seems so damn risk-adverse, i wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The only things I would change on the xbox one are the size and the hard drive. the look and design are way superior to the ps4 that looks like a design from the early 2000's. I have both consoles and the One looks at it's place in an entertainment setup whil the ps4 looks like an odd object. The size though is it's strong suit.And the hard drive shoulb be 2 tb.

The PS4 looks like it's from the early 2000's? Looking at Wikipedia's image for a late-model VCR, it looks like an Xbox One in a lot of very unflattering ways.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I highly doubt we see redesigns before 2016. The Xbox One is large (with the power brick being truly ridiculous), but it's a whisper-quiet piece of hardware that seems really robust so far. Even if/when the tech is available, I'm not sure they're just chomping at the bit to get a smaller version on shelves until they can stress-test the hell out of it. The Xbox One is a great console, but MS can't afford another misstep after all the bad PR, so putting a redesigned and potentially less-reliable version of it out there too early could be disastrous. Announcement of a 1TB version would certainly not be surprising, though. In fact, that probably needs to happen soon. It's way too easy to fill up the stock hard drive. Shrinking the console should be a back burner project for now, IMO. I'm not sure why the dimensions matter so much to people. I've never considered a few inches to be that big of a deal (ladies).

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will be no redesigns this year.

I don't know, my complaint about my Xbox one is that the hard drive isn't user accessible. At the beginning I used my PS4 more but switched to my Xbox, because my PS4 is on par with my old 20gb 360 in terms of fan noise. It's a little absurd for how close I sit near them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Brendan

I know I'm repeating myself, but there was an interesting (Eurogamer?) article several months back explaining how its likely there could be an Xbox One redesign and not a PlayStation 4 redesign this year.

It's a combination of chip design, power output and process node size. Basically the article explained that with the PS4's larger amount of GPU stuff, the now existing available process node reduction that would lower power requirements and lower manufacturing costs wouldn't do much for them because said node reduction wouldn't lower wattage enough to get ride of or shrink the fan size. Its already compact and there isn't really any advantage for them yet.

Xbox, on the other hand, went slightly overkill with the cooling (naturally) and a process node reduction for them would mean a greatly reduced fan size since they have less power hungry GPU stuff compared to the PS4 to boot. Given that this would also lower manufacturing cost, and that Xbox was most successful when they had that $50 lower price point as compared to the PS4, Microsoft may have a real advantage to putting out a redesign this year.