E3 2016: What's Up With Giant Bomb At E3 2016?

• 150 results
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
No Caption Provided

Some years I see E3 coming from a mile away. This is not one of those years. I'm coming to you from Friday night, the night before my E3 2016 journey gets underway, and I haven't started packing yet. Don't worry about me, throwing T-shirts into a bag and throwing said bag into a car is not especially difficult. But I've had a lot going on lately, so splitting focus between E3 and everything else has made this year's run up to the show a little strange. For example: I was on a call today to discuss our PAX West panel plans today. On one hand, it's insane that I'm spending time on PAX stuff when E3 is right around the corner. On the other, this is officially the most planned our PAX panel has ever been, by default.

I'm looking forward to this year's show. I mean, I look forward to every E3, big or small. When the show's huge, I want to see how big it can get. When it seems like it might be shrinking, I want to go see that first-hand and figure out why. We've got our appointments booked, we've got a long list of nightshow guests, and a hotel meeting room will likely have high-speed internet and low-quality food for us to use during the show. Really, that's all I need. I'm relatively low maintenance that way. Some years, I just subsist on awful meal replacement protein bars and energy drinks. It's a bad way to go, but at some point you just don't have time to think about getting anything else.

We're doing some things during the next six days that you might want to be aware of. Much of it is already loaded into our handy Coming Soon module on the homepage, but here's a list of events. I'm just going to list these in Pacific Daylight Time because I'm not here to do your fancy time math. The Coming Soon box, however, is here to automatically do your fancy time math.

Saturday

No Caption Provided

9AM-ish - I'll start broadcasting audio over on my Mixlr page. I'm going to drive from here to Los Angeles with one Alex Navarro and the Beef O'Brady of video games, Danny O'Dwyer. This will pretty much go all day, but since it's a broadcast running out of an iPad that is housed inside a speeding automobile, it isn't the most stable show in the land. This will probably live in the Giant Bomb chat at some point, but due to lame circumstances beyond my control, I can't launch that from here. So head over to http://mixlr.com/jeff-gerstmann/ if you want to listen.

Sunday

12:30PM - Our rough hope is to start the live shows about 30 minutes before the press conferences. EA starts at 1, we'll be up at 12:30. Hopefully that Titanfall stuff ends up looking good.

6:30PM - We'll be back up for Bethesda. We probably won't cover their pre-show and I don't think they're going to stream the blink-182 portion of the conference, but I could be wrong. Part of me wouldn't mind seeing a few minutes of blink-182 without Tom DeLonge fronting the band, but that dude's dumb voice is such a key part of that band that I can't imagine what they'd be like without it. Wouldn't it just start to sound like (+44) or something? But I digress. They'll probably announce a remastered Skyrim, which... sure. Why not?

After they're done, we're running off to see games at three separate events, which we'll talk about at some point.

Monday

No Caption Provided

This is the big day. The day that Actually Matters. It's the big press conference day. We'll sit with you and take in the news.

9AM - Microsoft starts the day. They gave their staff Gears of War 4 shoes to wear during the show. I can't imagine being expected to wear new shoes that haven't been broken in during a multi-day convention, but now I'm going to look at the feet of every Microsoft person I see at the show, so mission accomplished, I guess. They'll probably announce a slim Xbox One, that seems to be what the rumors are pointing to. With Sony more or less confirming that the new PS4 Neo won't be in their conference, Microsoft could go hard here and make some pretty big, somewhat unopposed waves on the hardware side. We'll see. I could be wrong.

12:30PM - Ubisoft has some things to say about its upcoming video games. Expect Aisha Tyler to come out wearing a T-shirt that says "#FuckVivendi." OK, don't actually expect that. They'll probably talk about that Assassin's Creed movie a bit, touch on upcoming DLC for The Division, and give you a bunch of Watch Dogs 2 stuff to watch.

5:00PM - We'll be up for the final press conference of the show, Sony. Andrew House just got out and simultaneously confirmed that the PS4 Neo is happening and stated that it won't play a major role in its E3 press conference. That's probably smart, since they've got a lot of PlayStation VR stuff to cover, right? That thing's out in October. Think they'll have found a better way to show off VR games in the context of a press conference? There'll probably be a chunk of Call of Duty campaign gameplay in here, too.

I should note that a lot of people ask us about "The PC press conference" and "why we aren't covering that." That's because it's not a press conference, it's a sponsored event put on by PC Gamer. I heard last year's show was heading in the right direction, hopefully they've got some interesting announcements lined up over there.

Tuesday

No Caption Provided

9AM - Nintendo will be up and running at 9, but it's not a press conference. The company said it was just going to stream some of the new Zelda game, which we thought might make for a fun watch. Then I got an email that implied that they were going to start with Pokemon Sun//Moon, which is somewhat less interesting. Either way, we've got the hotel room, we might as well use it. Come watch the early parts of Nintendo's Treehouse stream with us before the show floor opens for reals.

6PM - Our night of discussions opens. For the next several hours, we'll talk amongst ourselves about the games we saw during the day and shoot the shit with a wild array of guests from around the world.

Wednesday

5PM - We're starting the night show at 5PM on Wednesday, OK?

Thursday

No Caption Provided

6PM - E3 is officially over at this point, and we've got one more night of guests. How will our coverage of E3 2016 come to a close? Messily. After that, we'll pack up as quickly as possible, get a night of sleep, and get out of Los Angeles as quickly as possible.

And... there you have it? As always, check the Coming Soon box on the right side of the homepage, as these times are somewhat subject to change. If you want to have a bad E3, trying to keep everything on a rigid schedule is the quickest way to get there.

Good luck out there and we'll see you on the other side.

XOXO,
The Jerks from Nuke.com

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

OK!

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By moregrammarplz

Thanks, Jeff!

nnnope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nnnope

I was an extra when Blink 182 were shooting the video for 'Bored To Death' a few weeks back. I don't know much about this new dude but hell, they all seemed pretty happy to be together.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus I'll see you there utmost definitely!

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

WOOT WOOT! Can't wait! I love this time of year!

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ilikepopcans
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Will the night shows will also be podcasts?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looking forward to it. I happen to be off all week, so staying up for the night shows is gonna be a damn good time (as it was when I was off 2 years ago).

Go get those video games, Jeff!

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh wow, Nuke.com re-directs to Giant Bomb now, cool.

silentz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for heartbreakridge
HeartbreakRidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will the night shows will also be podcasts?

Yep, they've always done that. But don't expect any audio until they're all back in SF with all their gear.

Dezinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I can't believe how biased this site is to the Saturn. It's disgusting. They just won't stop talking about NiGHTS on the podcast. I'm fucking sick of it already. Other games are coming out, but Giant Bomb is too busy riding the Sega money train. Fuck this site, I'm done.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devil240Z

@rikiguitarist: will video archives be available asap? I work when they're gonna be live.

foeaminute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whose phone number will be given out this year?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

JDP83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is off topic, but if I am correct, I believe I heard Jeff say that the podcasts are going to start being on video rather than (just?) audio; is this going to be a premium thing, or it's view-able by everyone?

galenblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Jeff only gave it in Pacific Time, figured I'd make it easier to remember when the events are happening.

Saturday

708 .beats - Mixlr

Sunday

854 .beats - EA

104 .beats - Bethesda

Monday

708 .beats - Microsoft

854 .beats - Ubisoft

041 .beats - Sony

Tuesday

708 .beats - Nintendo

083 .beats - Live show

Wednesday

041 .beats - Live show

Thursday

083 .beats - Live show

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminder that the e3 press video and night shows won't be able to download till the week after for premium members cause they are just putting up the streaming video for that week.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always a fun time of the year to be a Video Games McPerson!

Good hunting, Giant Bomb, we'll be here.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My schedule is clear and am ready for the best three days of the Summer!

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Kingpk

Maybe central California won't be entirely on fire this year so they'll make good time on #TheDrive

Avatar image for fissionmailed10
FissionMailed10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry I only accept my E3 timetable in Swatch Internet Time.

sundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the new blink 182 is half +44, half a less depressed Alkaline Trio

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Ew a schedule. Nuke.com is so predictable and lacks any surprise with these rigid announcements.

Well.. at least they didn't partner up with that time converter site of Overwatch fame. That would truly be too professional. :)

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Springfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

the late night giantbomb shows is always the best parts of E3

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready!

Loading Video...

canuckee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The suspense is REAL! Can't wait for the drive live broadcast! Thanks Jeff

Jblonsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a blink-182 portion?!?!?!

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

This is off topic, but if I am correct, I believe I heard Jeff say that the podcasts are going to start being on video rather than (just?) audio; is this going to be a premium thing, or it's view-able by everyone?

I think when Jeff was on Kinda Funny podcast (or maybe it was the Patreon exclusive video), he mentioned that they'd be available live for premium members, but the recorded video would be up for everyone later.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anidem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had to check if nuke.com redirects to giantbomb and yes it does. Also can't wait for next week, can't wait for zelda!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Roger Wilco. We are Oscar Mike.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yes oh baby oh man oh yesss

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of amazed and overjoyed Jeff even remembers (+44)

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@devil240z: If they're also broadcasting to Twitch (which they usually do), then those videos are archived on the fly. They might also be broadcasting on YouTube as well, which also instantly archives live streams.

You can find the GB streams and archives here if you can't get them on the site:

https://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/profile

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRealGiantBomb

Thanks, duder. Hopefully these hold true. I seem to recall surfing around frantically to find these in the past, though they make the most sense. Perhaps my brain scrambles amidst all the desperate excitement.

Watching the archived versions is much more conducive of a good time: no cranking the volume while rushing off for drinks, snacks, and the inevitable bathroom break. Not to mention the quality is typically better.

#MyBodyIsReady

BakerMikeRomeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, Jeff!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff really buried the lede here that Nuke.com and VideoGames.com now redirect to Giant Bomb instead of Gamespot. The people over on the subreddit think it means Gamespot is rebranding soon as more of a culture website.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dryker: They will no doubt stream it to YT like they always do, so check out that archive instead of the awful Twitch VOD :)

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for VR to come out. It already came out you say? I refuse to believe that. The big publishers are sitting on a pile of soon to be released AAA VR games, I know it! I know it! Ok...maybe I don't know it, but hope is a powerful thing. Seriously I'm tempted to buy a Vive but I will be sad if it ends up being an $800 Elite Dangerous accessory. Shouldn't there already be like 30+ hoverjunkers calibre experiences by now? I'm very worried.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

How-Many-People-Can-O'Dwyer-Verbally-Assault: The Road Trip: The Audio

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That Sega Saturn image makes me think Microsoft is going to have the, "and the insert console name is out NOW!"

TViddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear the videos were up pretty quick in previous years. I remember watching them that same night or the next day. I checked and e3 was the 16-18 last year, the vids were posted the same day or the next morning.

Avatar image for deactivated-629e6affc23b3
deactivated-629e6affc23b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite GB redirect is giantasshole.com , though I can't remember why it exists...