Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Are you getting EarthBound? (133 votes)

Yes! 29%
I would if I owned a WiiU 46%
Is that game based on a SuperSmash Brothers character? 5%
No 20%

So, looks like Nintendo is putting earthbound out on the WiiU Virtual Console today. To all five WiiU users: who is getting it? I'll definitely buy it day one once I get the system. Anyone here own a SNES cart?

#1 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Ooh, that's today? Nice!

#3 Edited by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

I have the GBA version (the Japanese Mother 1+2 cart) but I'd totally get it on WiiU if I had one. I'm not getting a WiiU just for Earthbound though. I musn't, it's crazy. I might. No!

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
#5 Edited by Animasta (14672 posts) -

I would buy Mother 3 but not Earthbound

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@animasta said:

Switch those around, and that's what I'd say, at least if I had a Wii U.

#7 Posted by RioStarwind (521 posts) -

I still own a SNES copy of Earthbound but I also bought a Wii U so I might as well support their decision to put it out.

#8 Edited by august (3836 posts) -

Did they change the music?

#9 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -

@animasta said:

Switch those around, and that's what I'd say, at least if I had a Wii U.

mother 3 is a way superior game yo D:

#10 Edited by ChrisTaran (1583 posts) -

I have absolutely no fondness for this game like so many others. Probably because I never played it when it came out.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#12 Edited by Animasta (14672 posts) -
#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@august said:

Did they change the music?

This was my question. I own a cart, though the Wii U would be more convenient than my SNES. Still, any music changes would be unforgivable.

Thankfully, the most important piece of music has been in every Animal Crossing game, so I'm sure they didn't change that, but I'm hoping most of the rest wasn't changed.

#14 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#15 Posted by Hailinel (24386 posts) -

I'll be buying as soon as I get home from work. I haven't heard anything about music changes. As far as I know, the ROM is untouched.

#16 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (257 posts) -

I wish this was getting a 3DS release. No idea why they wouldn't make it available on both platforms - aside from attempting to entice more people to buy a Wii U.

#17 Posted by Pr1mus (3869 posts) -

I still have the SNES game.

#18 Edited by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

Played it originally on SNES. I'm kind of disappointed that it is being released in this format. It's great on the one hand that people will be able to play without emulating or paying out the ass for a hard copy, but Earthbound is going to lose a lot of that mystique. It's a very old, weird, and cultish game. It has a great underground rep, but is not going to appeal at all to most of the people that play it.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (24386 posts) -
#20 Posted by PolyesterKyle (137 posts) -

I guess it's about time more people got the chance to play Earthbound. As it's one of my favorite games of all time, I already own a copy or whatever but I'd still buy it if I could, maybe if they saw how much people were anticipating this they would make an effort to release the other games in the series as well. Probably not but still, it's nice too dream.

Anyway to anybody that's on the fence, I can't say enough good things about it. I guess if you're not a fan of more traditionally formatted JRPG's, you might not enjoy the game on a mechanical level but even so, this game will probably hook you just based on its very unique atmosphere and pretty much unbridled whimsy. I mean, yeah there're some darker moments in there but I'd say it's a good opportunity to go and look at life through the eyes of your 11 year old self once again. I play this on a very regular basis and still really enjoy playing it. I'm not sure if it's just nostalgia but I doubt it, I still haven't played anything like it.

#21 Posted by rpwll (73 posts) -

I'm just excited that I can actually get a legitimate copy of that game in Australia now. So yeah, I bought it.

#22 Edited by Rafaelfc (1328 posts) -

I wish this was out on the 3ds... why must you be so weird nintendo?

#23 Posted by Vrikk (895 posts) -

I bought it. I did my part.

I love this game. I probably won't play it (I've beat it probably 10 times over the last decade and a half), but... they deserve my $10 for finally bringing it out. Now the 5 people that own a Wii U won't have to pay $200 for a cart.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (18955 posts) -

I did!

#25 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Once I get a Wii U, most definitely gonna get it.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (24386 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I'll be buying as soon as I get home from work. I haven't heard anything about music changes. As far as I know, the ROM is untouched.

And I totally bought it!

#27 Posted by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

If I had a WiiU I definitely would because we NEED to show support for an official localised version of Mother 3!

#28 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

In due time, I'll get this and Shantae.

#29 Posted by Quantris (248 posts) -

I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting a WiiU for Pikmin 3, so I'll get Earthbound then. Off-screen virtual console, here I come!

#30 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2360 posts) -

Nah. I don't own a Wii U and Earthbound doesn't hold up very well imo. If I wanted to play it I'd just emulate it on my tablet. (Yeah yeah, fuck me for not supporting it)

#31 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -
#32 Edited by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Where's the I still own my original SNES cartridge option!?

I've played it about 5 times but I always end up skipping the second tone until the end of the game.

#33 Posted by Slag (4241 posts) -

dammit now I want a WiiU

#34 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (383 posts) -

It'll probably be the first thing I play whenever I get around to buying a WiiU.

#35 Edited by Dalai (7017 posts) -

I bought it. And I'll buy Mother 3 if they release it here.

I'll even buy the original-ass Mother game if Nintendo will allow me to.

#36 Posted by Reisz (1483 posts) -

Pity it's not available on the 3DS, I never played it back in the day.

#37 Posted by TruthTellah (8765 posts) -

If it was available on the 3DS instead, I'd definitely pick it up.

#38 Posted by Cameron (596 posts) -

So, what is Nintendo's excuse for why this nearly 20 year old game isn't available on the 3DS or Wii? They can't seriously think anyone is going to rush out to buy a WiiU to play something they could easily emulate on just about anything.

#39 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

I played up to when you reach Fourside on an emulator years ago. It was neat in places but I don't recall enjoying the combat at all, BOING!

I probably wouldn't try playing it again, ZOOM!

#40 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

I sure as hell would. I remember going to a friend of a friends house who was older than us all and he pulled open a drawer in his room and carefully took out an Earthbound cart like it was some motherfuckin yellow cake.

#41 Posted by bobafettjm (1453 posts) -

I would, but I already own 2 physical carts so I probably won't get this release.

#42 Posted by Nights (610 posts) -

I would if I had a WiiU. I played EarthBound years ago on an emulator, but I wish they'd release it for the 3DS.

#43 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

If I had a WiiU, I would. Yesterday I opened the 3DS eShop and somehow it was showing a bunch of WiiU titles. I got all excited when I saw Earthbound and kinda sad when I realised I couldn't buy it. :(