A Complex Question About an Unlikelym But Possible, Situation

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpikeDelight

I was wondering about this for some time. And this gets a little complex so bear with me here.

I have 1,000+ points so I can edit stuff without going through the mods. Now, if there's a page for Halo 3 which says one thing (demonstrated in Figure 1) and I try to edit something on that page and write a HUGE amount of information on that subject, but while I'm taking all that time to write this another guy with 1,000+ points edits something before I save the page and saves his changes after I saved mine, wouldn't his page be overwriting my page just because he saved his last? I demonstrated this below for a visual reference.

Original Halo 3 page:

Halo 3 is a FPS about shooting grunts and elites and jackals and sometimes the Flood.

Now I write something adding onto or changing that. I start at 6:00 PM.

Halo 3 is a FPS about shooting grunts and elites and jackals and sometimes the Flood. It is a sequel to Halo 2 which was a best-selling Xbox game and pioneered some of the more advanced features of online functionality. It was a really good video game. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article. This represents a very long article.The end.
Now, while I'm still typing at 6:30 PM another guy presses edit on the Original Halo 3 page, and has that to work from. He writes something else that he wants to add, while I'm adding something as well. His reads:

Halo 3 is a FPS about shooting grunts and elites and jackals and sometimes the Flood. Also you shoot Hunters.

Now, at 6:31 I happen to be done with my article so I press save. Now on the site my article is there, but the second guy is still working on a template from the older version of what was there. So now that he saves his article at 6:32 it overwrites mine automatically just because he saved his last. Is there any kind of preventative measure from this happening on the site? I'm always paranoid that this will happen to my pages, and I hate to see my stuff get deleted because I always really think about what I'm writing and spell check it and check for syntax errors and everything.

I'd like to hear from the mods and the community about this, because I think it could pose a lot of potential problems. Thanks for your time.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By breton

Yeah, that's what would happen. And it's why you're suggested to save work on your own computer, until the site gets an edit history.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

If you're making huge changes type them out in a text editor first, and refresh the page before modifying it in case it's changed.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SpikeDelight
LordAndrew said:
"If you're making huge changes type them out in a text editor first, and refresh the page before modifying it in case it's changed."
Hmm never thought of that. I think there should be some kind of official preventative measures though. Maybe a way to save your updates to your profile like you can save Guide edits now.