#1 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

I was just wondering about this as I play quite a few games that are available for PC, Mac, and Linux (Quake Live, FreeCiv, Enemy Territory, etc).

It would just make it feel a little more complete in my opinion :-)

#2 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
#3 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

It depends on whether we consider the existing PC platform to refer to DOS/Windows exclusively or whether it covers all games for all IBM-compatible PCs. Most gaming sites consider the PC platform to refer exclusively to DOS and Windows (wrong as that may be), but I'm not sure where Giant Bomb stands on this issue.
And it doesn't help that the Giant Bomb community doesn't even seem to know what the PC is. The release date is currently listed as June 8, 1977; a date that probably originated from someone who doesn't understand the difference between the Apple II and the IBM PC. Let's get these things straight before we start worrying about separating PC operating systems.

#4 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -
@harris said:
" I'm not sure there are enough linux compatible games to merit this, but I agree anyways. Here's a list to help fill it in if this does get added: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_gaming#Commercial_games "
Not on that list, Machinarium. I know it's just a flash game, but still, I have the Linux client. I honestly think that Linux deserves a platform name for completeness.
#5 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

Maybe Linux would be better suited as a concept, with the PC concept being a more general concept? I don't know if I know enough about the history of PCs and Linux in general to make an informed decision on this, though.

#6 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Linux is an operating system, not a gaming platform.

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@Hamz: So it's covered by the PC platform then?
#8 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@LordAndrew: I'd say the PC platform provides the best spot for it yeah.
#9 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" @LordAndrew: I'd say the PC platform provides the best spot for it yeah. "
Again, I don't know a whole ton about this, but what about the Macintosh platform?
#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Again, I don't know a whole ton about this, but what about the Macintosh platform? "
Apple kept insisting the Macintosh isn't a PC, and people believed them.