Any Way to Add New Platforms?

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sup909

I was browsing the Wiki the other day and I noticed that some third party reto gaming platforms are not listed. I could not for the life of me find a way to add these to the site. The platforms were as follows.  

Retro Duo 

Gamepark GP2x (in all its forms) 

Dingoo A320 and A330.  

The help page seems to have links to just about every item except a platform. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

No, only staff are allowed to add platforms at this time.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@CitizenKane
No, only staff are allowed to add platforms at this time.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

So if you want something added, you can PM one of the staff with your suggestion. Jeff seems to be who you'd want to contact for stuff like this. They do add new platforms now and then.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#5  Edited By Brackynews
@LordAndrew:  I was pondering the other day why Unix/Linux isn't listed as a platform, when by definition an operating system is a software platform.
Should I request new aliases for the PC page, or has this already been debated at length?

There's no good argument to be made about having only physical hardware as platforms, because XBLM, PSPN, PS3N, DSIWare, and WiiWare are separate from their hardware listings. I remember when Jeff broke those out separately.  And saying that unique hardware determines an entry would imply that the Arcade platform is grossly generalized.  Also no good argument about lack of game releases, because commercial multiplatform games have native Linux ports, and Mac releases that use Wine aren't considered Windows releases – they're just considered cop-outs. :)

I wonder if Steam, OnLive, Gaikai, or iOS will be a future addition?  I think the lines between iPhone, iPad and even OSX 10.7 are quickly going to blur.  And once there is a Steam Linux client that may be the tipping point...?
Thoughts?
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Indeed, I got Jeff to add the Pico a few months ago. Just ask, and if your request makes sense they will do it.

And while we are having this discussion, let me add peripherals!!!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew
@Brackynews: Basically the response typical is "Linux is a PC operating system, so list it as PC." I guess the Mac platform is basically grandfathered in from the days when Macs ran on totally different hardware that wasn't considered a "PC".
Avatar image for fabian_schoelzel
Fabian_Schoelzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Fabian_Schoelzel

I contacted the staff about adding Linux as platform, but got no reaction. I really think this should be added.

There is "Android" as platform, and i think nobody said "Don't add it, it's just a mobile OS - List it as Mobile." A video game database without the distinction between Windows, Linux and - coming to my mind right now - MS-DOS (!)... is just incomplete.

For example "Doom" is available for DOS, Windows, Linux and PC-98. Here it is listed as "PC".

Cheers,Fabian