Can users edit specific release details?

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I can't count the number of times I've searched online for a games multiplayer details before making a purchase. Many sites are often misinformed and for some games like red faction Armageddon it even straight up lies on the back of the box.

If we were given the ability to edit the release details in the wikis then this would be my go to site and no doubt soon the most reliable source for this info on the web.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By void

It should work unless it's broken with the recent upgrade? Just go to the releases page and hit the Edit button that shows up when mouse hovering the release info for that particular release. (It's easy to miss if the release has a box art. It should be on the right hand side just under the box art image.)

http://www.giantbomb.com/red-faction-armageddon/3030-25726/releases/

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3 MattyFTM  Moderator

Unless it's been fixed and I'm not aware, editing of releases was broken with the recent site update, and I'm not aware of an ETA for a fix. You can still try to see if it works, by going to the releases page for a game (e.g. the Red Faction Armageddon releases page) and hitting the edit button underneath the box-art for each release.

Like I say, I believe that functionality is currently broken, but it can't hurt to give it a go just to check it hasn't been fixed.

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's still broken. I already tried it.. hence why I posted. I thought it was odd that everything else is editable except that.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spam101 said:

It's still broken. I already tried it.. hence why I posted. I thought it was odd that everything else is editable except that.

Unless there's crazy community participation, the wiki will never have comprehensive and correct info on the matter. There are just too many SKUs to update with the correct info to have it be a reliable source for that stuff. You just have to be lucky that someone added the info to the release details for the game you're interested in.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

@spam101: It is not the only thing broken at the moment. Editing guides and credits are also broken. However, it should get fixed in the near future so I encourage you to stay and work on the wiki, we need more people doing so, especially releases.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@bobafettjm said:

@spam101: It is not the only thing broken at the moment. Editing guides and credits are also broken. However, it should get fixed in the near future so I encourage you to stay and work on the wiki, we need more people doing so, especially releases.

It is also impossible to edit tables, and the image gallery system is messed up in all sorts of ways. I hope they get to fixing the wiki soon, and I wish it was possible for it to be less of an afterthought.

Recently I heard Brad refer to our wiki as a source of information though, which was a nice thing, since the staff is so quick to dismiss information from the Giant Bomb wiki as "yeah, but that's from the site".

Yeah, I wish I saw it treated as less of an afterthought.

More than we need technical improvements though, we need more wiki editors following existing sets of rules, and we need those rules and templates to be developed upon.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

@snail: A style guide has been LONG overdue. The various technical issues for quite some time have really put a limitation on how much I can do in the wiki, which for a while really killed a lot of the motivation I had to work on it. I recently have been pretty motivated to work on it again, but keep running into issues.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bigjeffrey

damn can't edit a mistake, 3do (forgot to scroll down to PC) daylight release. glad to know there is a fix coming.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeF

damn can't edit a mistake, 3do (forgot to scroll down to PC) daylight release. glad to know there is a fix coming.

The platform field should be empty by default anyway. I've submitted so many releases for 3DO just because it's the default entry and I sometimes fill them in out of order and forget the platform field.