#1 Posted by gamerpigeon (369 posts) -

Gaming Mysteries (great YouTube Show) got me thinking that there is little to no cancelled games or 'announced' games on the wiki so far as I can tell (I've only done a small amount of digging).

Games like

Mario 128

Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede

Earthbound 64

Meowth Party

etc etc

All games that had at least trailers for them although some proved to be perhaps only tech demos

Is this an intentional omission or purposeful?

I'm curious cause i find cancelled games and their history rather interesting. I suppose it could be hard to justify what games should be added to the wiki and what shouldn't. Whats the criteria for one being added and the other being omitted? But i think its certainly something that should be added. Are games cancelled within this generation on the Wiki? I don't know of any so its hard to check.

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4439 posts) -

@gamerpigeon: Some examples of canceled games from this generation are Eight Days, LMNO and The Getaway 3. I think that the games you mentioned probably aren't in the wiki because no one has added them yet. I'm not aware of any policy to not have canceled games in the wiki.

#3 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

Here are the guidelines that can be found in the Canceled Games concept page.

• Games that should be listed include ones shown in some form (playable, trailer, official formal announcement) either online, at an event, etc., but never saw retail release.
  • Rumored titles, i.e. Metroid Dread, Mutant League Football 2009, Pokemon 64, should NOT be included here; only games that were officially confirmed by a game studio to have been in development at some point in time.
  • Titles that were never officially referred to with the word "cancelled" by the developers should not be included. They are considered to be vaporware.
  • Canceled games should have no associated links (i.e. concepts, locations, objects, etc.) nor should they be attached to their respective franchise pages. Thus, canceled games' pages should exist on an island unto themselves for historical purposes only.
  • All canceled games should be marked as "(canceled)" in their title (similar to "working titles") to make it clear to anyone that the game was never released. If you need help from a moderator to do this, visit this thread.
  • Discontinued Massively Multiplayer Online Games have their own page, and should be listed there, not here.

If you think the titles you mentioned don't fall outside these guidelines, then I encourage you to go ahead and submit those games pages for moderation.

#4 Posted by gamerpigeon (369 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@gamerpigeon: Some examples of canceled games from this generation are Eight Days, LMNO and The Getaway 3. I think that the games you mentioned probably aren't in the wiki because no one has added them yet. I'm not aware of any policy to not have canceled games in the wiki.

Well i just noticed that Mother 3's Wiki page does mention the development cycle of the game and how it was at one time Earthbound 64. So i suppose the information is there but since Earthbound 64 had footage from a Spaceworld trailer it makes me think that it should perhaps have its own page. Given that their is some solid proof of the games existence. Maybe Footage or Screenshots should be the criteria of if or if not a cancelled game gets added to the wiki or not.

Oh and Eight Days looked so cool. At least back in 2005 it did. Don't know if it would have ever held up.

#5 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

I can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure the mod position is that cancelled games should only be included if they are exceptionally notable, or were cancelled after GB was founded.