[Category Request] Engines

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By IcyEyes

Ever wonder what engine a particular game was built with? I sure do. So would it not be useful to create a new “Engine” category to let us link games to Source, Unreal, CryENGINE® 3 and other technologies. The concept category is not the place for game engines.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By StarFoxA
@IcyEyes said:
"  

The concept category is not the place for game engines.

"
Why?
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By jeff

Concept pages are meant to be a catch-all and aren't specific to in-game concepts. So they should be totally fine for engine pages.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IcyEyes
@Jeff said:

" Concept pages are meant to be a catch-all and aren't specific to in-game concepts. So they should be totally fine for engine pages. "

Being a miscellaneous category is the problem, at least for me anyway. If there was any element that I would think deserves a new category, this would be it. Engines are a core part of all games, so I can't see how creating this new category would be any less valid then say the “Objects” one, which could easily be assimilated into concepts. We also have “Games” and “Platforms” which I think feel like more appropriate places for engines, but at the same time don't really work.

I think I'm getting the feeling you don't see this as a necessary addition, and that's completely fine, It's your choice entirely. I'm only trying to help improve how data is organized on the site.

Another thought would be to give it a broader title like “Technologies” but that could conflict with “Platforms” and “Accessories” somewhat.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew
@IcyEyes said:
"If there was any element that I would think deserves a new category, this would be it."
Races, species, and character classes are much more deserving of a new category. I've seen people create character and object pages for these because people don't understand the purpose of the different pages. As with engines, these are supposed to be listed as concepts.
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IcyEyes

@LordAndrew said:

Races, species, and character classes are much more deserving of a new category. I've seen people create character and object pages for these because people don't understand the purpose of the different pages. As with engines, these are supposed to be listed as concepts. "

Races, species, and classes are all “Concepts” within games and fit perfectly into that category. A game engine however is not simply some notion or idea.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@IcyEyes said:

"Races, species, and classes are all “Concepts” within games and fit perfectly into that category. A game engine however is not simply some notion or idea. "

But as Jeff explained, concepts aren't just for in game concepts. Our concept category is extremely diverse and handles a tonne of things from species (e.g. pikachu) to digital distribution software (e.g. steam) to real life gaming events (e.g. E3 2007) to gameplay mechanics (e.g. point & click) to character groups (e.g. Male Protagonists) to online services (e.g. Xbox Live) to box art designs (e.g. Showing half a face on box art) to naming trends (e.g. "Game" 64) to engines (e.g. Source). Engines fit perfectly into the concepts category.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By rallier
@MattyFTM: At least a species/race page is needed. It just makes no sense at all right now (well since always).
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Rallier said:
" @MattyFTM: At least a species/race page is needed. It just makes no sense at all right now (well since always). "
It would be a useful addition. It is probably the biggest subset of the concepts category, and it would be very helpful to newer users who are unfamiliar with the concepts system, who are confused as to why a particular pokemon isn't a character.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax
@IcyEyes said:

I can't see how creating this new category would be any less valid then say the “Objects” one, which could easily be assimilated into concepts

Uh, no. How do you consider a barrel to be similar to team killing?
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rallier
@MattyFTM said:

" @Rallier said:

" @MattyFTM: At least a species/race page is needed. It just makes no sense at all right now (well since always). "

It would be a useful addition. It is probably the biggest subset of the concepts category, and it would be very helpful to newer users who are unfamiliar with the concepts system, who are confused as to why a particular pokemon isn't a character. "
Especially since there is a Pikachu character page. Been there ^^

edit: Oh wow the Pikachu page that was initially made for the Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow is completely flooded. 
http://www.giantbomb.com/pikachu/94-145/
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Rallier said:
" edit: Oh wow the Pikachu page that was initially made for the Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow is completely flooded. 
http://www.giantbomb.com/pikachu/94-145/ "
I am sure I remember there being a comment on there saying to only add games that pikachu featured as an individual character, and to use the concept page for every other appearance of the species. Yet it seems someone has not only ignored it, but deleted the message too.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rallier
@MattyFTM said:
" @Rallier said:
" edit: Oh wow the Pikachu page that was initially made for the Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow is completely flooded. 
http://www.giantbomb.com/pikachu/94-145/ "
I am sure I remember there being a comment on there saying to only add games that pikachu featured as an individual character, and to use the concept page for every other appearance of the species. Yet it seems someone has not only ignored it, but deleted the message too. "
I guess Pikachu is sort of Pokemon's Link, always looks the same, act the same, but is never the same character but unlike Link he/she/it has a million identical species members. A perfect case for a wiki is not designed for this.  

Looks like the wiki history is down.
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IcyEyes
@MattyFTM said:

But as Jeff explained, concepts aren't just for in game concepts. Our concept category is extremely diverse and handles a tonne of things from species (e.g. pikachu) to digital distribution software (e.g. steam) to real life gaming events (e.g. E3 2007) to gameplay mechanics (e.g. point & click) to character groups (e.g. Male Protagonists) to online services (e.g. Xbox Live) to box art designs (e.g. Showing half a face on box art) to naming trends (e.g. "Game" 64) to engines (e.g. Source). Engines fit perfectly into the concepts category. "

Your not following my argument here.

@natetodamax said:

Uh, no. How do you consider a barrel to be similar to team killing? "

How do you consider a strong women, to be similar to  Xbox Live?  You don't.  it's a catch-all category.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

A barrel is an object and therefore incomparable. Strong Women and Xbox Live however, are related only in that they fit into no other category. Which is what the concept category was designed for. It is, like you said, a catch-all category. So engines fit in there too.

Concepts are the most loosely defined data type, serving as kind of a catch-all for pages and associations that don't currently fit into one of the other data types, such as a race of creatures, a specific in-game event, character abilities, and gameplay characteristics.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IcyEyes
@LordAndrew said:

" A barrel is an object and therefore incomparable.

Why?

@LordAndrew said:

Strong Women and Xbox Live however, are related only in that they fit into no other category. Which is what the concept category was designed for. It is, like you said, a catch-all category.

Everyone already knows that.

@LordAndrew said:

So engines fit in there too.
 The discussion was about whether or not it needs it's own.  Saying it fits there because it has no where else to go is pointless.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
@IcyEyes said:

" The discussion was about whether or not it needs it's own.  Saying it fits there because it has no where else to go is pointless."

Does it need its own? I say no. Objects are significant enough that it's worth splitting it from the generic concept type. Objects are defined thusly:

Like franchises, in-game objects can be very broad or very specific, allowing for object pages as general as Sword and as defined as Master Sword. Objects include vehicles, weapons, and basically any piece of technology that lacks sentience.

Vehicles, weapons, and "technology that lacks sentience" are so prominent that they really deserve to be separate from concepts. But notice that objects are not classified any more specifically than that. We don't have separate page types for weapons, or vehicles, or technology types, or types of facial hair, or anything like that.. Objects are still a very broad category. By comparison, game engines would be significantly more specific. Engines certainly deserve to be documented on Giant Bomb, but I'm not sure a new page classification type is the right way to do it. Concepts work fine.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KamasamaK

The majority of games use a proprietary or unknown engine, and therefore the Engine category would usually be empty. That's a pretty good indication that it's too specific. If the staff ever changes their mind about that, then it should be trivial to port a concept to a new category. But as it stands now, Jeff doesn't seem to be interested in having the idea implemented, and it's unlikely you're bringing up anything that he didn't think of.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By natetodamax
@IcyEyes said:

How do you consider a strong women, to be similar to  Xbox Live?  You don't.  it's a catch-all category. "

Strong women is a concept, Xbox LIVE is a concept. Barrel is not a concept.
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IcyEyes
@natetodamax said:

Strong women is a concept, Xbox LIVE is a concept. Barrel is not a concept. "

Yes, barrel is not a concept at the moment, but If we merged objects into concepts it would become one, according to your logic.  What part of “catch-all” don't you understand?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KamasamaK
@IcyEyes: Concept is broad enough in scope to be a catch-all for anything that doesn't fit into another category, but that would be a poor name if it included things like objects. In the context of a game, it wouldn't make sense for objects or characters to simply be concepts since they are tangible entities. But anything abstracted from the game world is understandably a concept.
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IcyEyes
@Kamasama said:

" The majority of games use a proprietary or unknown engine, and therefore the Engine category would usually be empty. That's a pretty good indication that it's too specific.

• CryENGINE
  • CryENGINE 2
  • CryENGINE 3
  • Unreal Engine
  • Unreal Engine 2
  • Unreal Engine 3
  • id Tech
  • id Tech 2
  • id Tech 3
  • id Tech 4
  • Anvil
  • Eclipse
  • Infinity
  • IW
  • Game Maker 5
  • Game Maker 6
  • Game Maker 7
  • Game Maker 8
  • Abyssal
  • Alamo
  • Aurora
  • BigWorld
  • Blade3D
  • BRender
  • C4
  • Coldstone
  • Crystal Tools
  • Dagor Engine 3
  • DX Studio
  • Dunia
  • Earth-4
  • Electron
  • Elflight
  • Enigma
  • Esperient Creator
  • Euphoria
  • Freescape
  • Frostbite
  • Gamebryo
  • Gamestudio
  • Glacier
  • Glacier2
  • GrimE
  • Hedgehog
  • HeroEngine
  • INSANE
  • Jade
  • Jedi
  • Kaneva Game Platform
  • Kinetica
  • Leadwerks
  • Lemon
  • Lithtech Jupiter Ex
  • LyN engine
  • Medusa
  • Monumental Technology Suite
  • MT Framework
  • Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Multiverse Network
  • Odyssey
  • Onyx
  • Phyre
  • Q
  • Quest3D
  • RAGE
  • Relent ENGINE
  • RenderWare
  • Revolution3D
  • RPG Maker VX
  • RPG Maker XP
  • SAGE
  • SCUMM
  • Serious
  • Shark 3D
  • ShiVa
  • Silent Storm engine
  • Sith
  • Source
  • Torque
  • Torque Advanced
  • TOSHI
  • Truevision3D
  • Unigine
  • Unity
  • Vengeance
  • Vicious
  • Virtools
  • Vision
  • Visual3D.NET
  • WGAF
  • X-Ray
  • XnGine
  • Zillions of Games
  • Adventure Game Studio
  • dim3
  • M.U.G.E.N
  • Novalis
  • Panda3D
  • Unity
  • World Builder
  • Wintermute
  • RGSS
  • Wild Pockets
  • Crystal Space
  • ClanLib
  • Build
  • Aleph One
  • Axiom
  • Skylight
  • Allegro library
  • Blender3D
  • Box2D
  • Build
  • Cube
  • Cube 2
  • DarkPlaces
  • Delta3d
  • DXFramework
  • Exult
  • Game Blender
  • Genesis3D
  • Genesis Device
  • Glest
  • ika
  • ioquake3
  • Irrlicht
  • jMonkey
  • Jogre
  • Lightweight Java Game Library
  • Novalis
  • OGRE
  • OpenSceneGraph
  • ORX
  • Panda3D
  • PLIB
  • Retribution
  • Sphere
  • Spring
  • Stratagus
  • Troll2D
  • Verge 3.2
  • Xilon Engine II

@Kamasama said:

...and it's unlikely you're bringing up anything that he didn't think of. "

Jeff has the final word, but that does not mean he's thought of everything, or that we cant have a discussion about it.

@Kamasama said:

...but that would be a poor name if it included things like objects. In the context of a game, it wouldn't make sense for objects or characters to simply be concepts since they are tangible entities. But anything abstracted from the game world is understandably a concept. "

Tangible? Abstracted??  We could have an argument about objects and concepts for weeks, but that's not what I want, so lets just stop.  Everyone is missing the whole point on the matter. The bottom line is that anything could be merged into the concepts category.  Does this mean it's a good thing? No. My real point was that if objects need their own category then game engines do too.

@IcyEyes said:  

A game engine however is not simply some notion or idea.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By natetodamax
@IcyEyes said:
" @natetodamax said:

Strong women is a concept, Xbox LIVE is a concept. Barrel is not a concept. "

Yes, barrel is not a concept at the moment, but If we merged objects into concepts it would become one, according to your logic.  What part of “catch-all” don't you understand?

"
According to my logic? You're the one that wants to turn barrel into a concept, not me.
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IcyEyes

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KamasamaK
@IcyEyes: It would be more effective to list the games that use a known engine, but as I said that list would be very short compared to the number of games that exist. I also never said that Jeff has thought of everything. I just said he's probably thought of everything you've brought up, if not before your initial suggestion then likely before his response. Of course you can continue discussing what you'd like, but that doesn't mean it will have any meaningful effect on your intended outcome.

I highly doubt we can argue about where objects belong for weeks. In fact, I'm pretty sure I fully made my case unless you can contradict it. However, I only addressed that because you felt the need to argue it for some reason, but the use of the Object category isn't the real issue here. An engine does fit into the Concept category, and only that category for now, but the issue is if it is important enough to deserve its own category. Nobody but you says it does so far. But aside from engines, some achievement systems are also technologies abstracted from a game's design (usually), as are SpeedTree and Games for Windows - Live support. Maybe if there were a more broad Technologies category some time in the future, those would fit as well. But I'm not yet convinced they are important or pervasive enough for their own category, nor are most development tools well known enough to deserve their own article.
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IcyEyes
@Kamasama said:

" @IcyEyes: It would be more effective to list the games that use a known engine, but as I said that list would be very short compared to the number of games that exist.

Listing the connection between engines and games is irrelevant to the point of that post. No. You did not say that. Comparing list sizes is irrelevant too.

@Kamasama said:

I also never said that Jeff has thought of everything. I just said he's probably thought of everything you've brought up, if not before your initial suggestion then likely before his response. Of course you can continue discussing what you'd like, but that doesn't mean it will have any meaningful effect on your intended outcome.

I never said you did.  Your continuing to state obvious and unnecessary points.

@Kamasama said:

I highly doubt we can argue about where objects belong for weeks. In fact, I'm pretty sure I fully made my case unless you can contradict it. However, I only addressed that because you felt the need to argue it for some reason, but the use of the Object category isn't the real issue here. An engine does fit into the Concept category, and only that category for now, but the issue is if it is important enough to deserve its own category. Nobody but you says it does so far. But aside from engines, achievement systems are also technologies abstracted from a game's design (usually), as are SpeedTree and Games for Windows - Live support. Maybe if there were a more broad Technologies category some time in the future, those would fit as well. But I'm not yet convinced they are important or pervasive enough for their own category, nor are most development tools well known enough to deserve their own article. "

Your unnecessary nitpicking is the reason the debate could go on forever. I never wanted to argue about it, I was only trying to correct you and others. Your also using the word “abstracted” incorrectly, so it's kind of hard to understand you. If your meaning it in the way I think you are it's incorrect anyway. I've also already mentioned the idea of a broader “technologies” category.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By buzz_clik
@IcyEyes said:
" Your unnecessary nitpicking is the reason the debate could go on forever. "
A more churlish person than I might suggest that your unnecessary nitpicking is what made the debate emerge in the first place. Luckily, I'm not that kind of person... ;)
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IcyEyes

It does takes two to tango.  How about we just pretend the above conversation never happened and start afresh, sound good?

}}}}}} AMNESIA {{{{{{

Other posts? What other posts?      
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KamasamaK
@IcyEyes said:

" @Kamasama said:

" @IcyEyes: It would be more effective to list the games that use a known engine, but as I said that list would be very short compared to the number of games that exist.

Listing the connection between engines and games is irrelevant to the point of that post. No. You did not say that. Comparing list sizes is irrelevant too. "

Replying to that part of my post makes it relevant since I was referring to the relatively few number of games using a known engine, not the number of engines. And yes, I did say that. If anything, a list of engines was irrelevant as a reply. But more importantly, it was my assertion in the portion quoted before the list that the number of games using a known engine is relevant to a justification for inclusion of an additional category.

@IcyEyes said:

" @Kamasama said:

I also never said that Jeff has thought of everything. I just said he's probably thought of everything you've brought up, if not before your initial suggestion then likely before his response. Of course you can continue discussing what you'd like, but that doesn't mean it will have any meaningful effect on your intended outcome.

I never said you did.  Your continuing to state obvious and unnecessary points. "
The same could be said for you saying "Jeff has the final word, but that does not mean he's thought of everything" as a response to what I did say.

@IcyEyes said:

" Your unnecessary nitpicking is the reason the debate could go on forever. I never wanted to argue about it, I was only trying to correct you and others. Your also using the word “abstracted” incorrectly, so it's kind of hard to understand you. If your meaning it in the way I think you are it's incorrect anyway. I've also already mentioned the idea of a broader “technologies” category. "

It was your unnecessary nitpicking to which I was responding in the first place. Engines are not notions or ideas as you said. On the other hand, fictional characters are simply notions or ideas. But we are talking about in the context of the game itself, where fictional characters are real. A technology's use relative to the game is conceptual and exists outside the reality within the game unlike objects, characters, and locations. That's how those pages are currently associated. Don't think of the engines themselves as concepts, but rather the concept of the associated game having been built upon that engine.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure I'm using "abstracted" correctly, but if you're not familiar with abstraction layers or the use of abstraction in engineering then I could understand the confusion -- I am meaning that it exists in a separate layer. Although I believe it's consistent with the definition anyway. But since we're on the topic of using words correctly, you continue using "your" incorrectly.

EDIT: I loaded the page before your latest post, but don't feel like significantly altering my original.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LordAndrew

IcyEyes is still going at it? I hoped that the lack of notification PMs meant the "debate" had ended.

Game engines and middleware should be separated only if a whole separate method of detailing the technical aspects of a game is implemented. Only then would it be necessary.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IcyEyes

So let's talk about the idea of a Technologies category. Could that be a (more) useful addition? What items might fit into it?

Technologies:

• Game Engines ( Unreal, Source, id Tech )
  • Middleware ( Havok, RAD Game Tools )
  • Online or Digital Distribution Services ( Steam, Xbox Live, Wiiware, Direct2Drive )
  • Software Development Kits (SDK, XNA)
  • Text to Speech (TTS)
  • Speech Recognition
  • Downloadable Content (DLC)
  • Joystick or Gamepad Support.
  • Wi-Fi, Multiplayer
  • Touch Controls
  • Voice Chat

We could then add a new Technologies section under the “General Information” tab on a game page, right next to Platforms, Publishers, and Developers.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's good that you want to improve things but...I think you're thinking too much into this.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IcyEyes

If you can't say something helpful, then don't say anything at all.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Hamz

Lets stay civil about this please folks :) 

I understand where you're coming from here IcyEyes, the current database and categories in it don't cover everything. It is something the staff have acknowledge in the past, the database isn't perfect in the way it categorises and catalogues information. Sometimes a new category or sub-category is needed but ultimately for now we have to live with things the way they are until there is time / strong reason to begin re-evaluating the way our database categorises information and content. There is just so much discussion and debate needed when it comes to these things that a decision can't be made overnight. My guess is one day we will see the database expanded to include more accurate categories for pages to be attached too, but until then learn to live with what we have as best you can!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By buzz_clik

I certainly think a Technologies category is a more practical solution to what IcyEyes is driving at, but as Hamz said you gots to live with it the way it is for now - life's just like that sometimes. I think Concepts does the job well enough in the interim.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By sjschmidt93

You're thread sounds like a $12 budget TV ad.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By natetodamax
Allow me to quote one of the creators of the site

@Jeff said:
" Concept pages are meant to be a catch-all and aren't specific to in-game concepts. So they should be totally fine for engine pages. "
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By IcyEyes

So we can't even have a discussion about ways to improve the system because Jeff said the concepts area should be fine for it?  I have no problems living with it the way it is, but why the hell can't we just have a discussion about ways to improve it?  This is a wiki site, right?  I don't care if it becomes a reality or not, I'm just looking for helpful input, but no one seems to have any.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#39  Edited By JackiJinx

In some respects, I do agree with IcyEyes. The database does need some more categories to organize it better. Engines would be nice, but I think organizing some of the more prevalent themes in the concepts (races, character attributes, health-related, attack-related, etc) should be a priority to organize. That's not to say engines aren't important as they are, but we should focus on the majority of what is already is in the database and then go from there. 

However, seeing how Jeff replied, any additional categories derived from concepts shall not be coming any time soon, so either patience or useless nagging is a virtue.  

When the staff wants input on categories, they will absolutely ask for it and I'm certain what you have already said hasn't been entirely ignored, either.