#1 Edited by Marino (4653 posts) -
Professional NBA Jam Enthusiast

I've spent most of my morning cleaning up a mess that revealed a much larger issue.

Here's the issue. Just because a character makes an appearance in a certain game doesn't necessarily make that game part of that character's franchise.

This started by someone adding every conceivably related franchise to the Super Smash Bros. game pages. For example, they were adding The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, etc. to the Smash Bros. pages. Yes, characters from those franchises appear in those games, but Super Smash Bros. is not a game in the Kirby franchise. No one is going to say "Smash Bros. is my favorite F-Zero game."

Sweet Tooth appearing in Hot Shots Golf 2 doesn't make HSG2 part of the Twisted Metal series.

The Halo franchise does not include Dead or Alive 4.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is not your favorite God of War game.

I hope this makes sense. Now, back to cleaning up this mess.

Thanks.

Staff
#2 Posted by bobafettjm (1462 posts) -

If you know of more of these I can help you.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

Ugh. What a mess.

#4 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

Surprisingly enough, this made me laugh.

#5 Posted by ZombiePie (5643 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Well, I don't know. Smash Bros. Brawl had an extensive story mode with all of those characters in it. Who's to say it's not canon with the Mario universe, for example? Of course, then the problem would be knowing where to draw the line. It might be canon for Mario, but it's definitely not for Metal Gear Solid (well, I probably shouldn't say that, those games are kinda silly).

But for the most part, I agree.

That sort of distinction, or hard drawn line, is exactly what we are trying to make. Super Smash Bros. is not a Mario game because we don't consider it one and just because it has Mario characters it does not qualify to be attached to the Mario franchise. It is very clear that the Smash Bros.

#6 Posted by insanity_pepper (24 posts) -

I'll try to fix something like that if I come across it. I feel like I've seen plenty instances of that happening.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Well, I don't know. Smash Bros. Brawl had an extensive story mode with all of those characters in it. Who's to say it's not canon with the Mario universe, for example? Of course, then the problem would be knowing where to draw the line. It might be canon for Mario, but it's definitely not for Metal Gear Solid (well, I probably shouldn't say that, those games are kinda silly).

It's not canon for any of them. It's a story confined to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I can't believe that someone would even attempt the argument you're trying to make.

#8 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Turns out Snake in Brawl is just Raiden in VR training. CANON.

#9 Posted by Baillie (4081 posts) -

It's a bit sad that this has to be said, why can't people use their brains?

#10 Posted by adoggz (2065 posts) -

yeah well, super smash brothers melee happens to be my favorite F zero game. whats that? it doesnt matter? ok, I'll go back to not caring about the wiki then.

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

Lol.

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

Is an intern now? Why dose he have a staff tag?

#13 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Not an intern. I helped during E3 by uploading 100+ videos. If you watched any of the trailers during E3, it was likely me that put it on the site. Since then I've basically just been keeping community stuff on the front page current and sharing data in the form of blogs.

Staff
#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

@Marino: Ok, I guess I just haven't noticed it until now.

#15 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Marino: Ok, I guess I just haven't noticed it until now.

Most people don't. Maybe if the Staff bar and Moderator bar weren't both red.

Staff
#16 Posted by Slag (4262 posts) -

@Marino said:

@Dagbiker said:

Not an intern. I helped during E3 by uploading 100+ videos. If you watched any of the trailers during E3, it was likely me that put it on the site. Since then I've basically just been keeping community stuff on the front page current and sharing data in the form of blogs.

That's awesome duder and congrats!

Sorry about that mess you found, sounds like a doozy. I assume there's no reset button you could hit to undo all that user's edits to afflicted pages?

#17 Posted by bemusedchunk (689 posts) -

F-Zero is my favorite Smash Bros. game.

#18 Posted by TheMasterDS (2052 posts) -

What about cases where the first appearance of a character was in a cross over game? Like Banjo and Conker's first game was both Diddy Kong Racing, surely Diddy Kong Racing is as much a part of their franchises as Diddy's?

#19 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@TheMasterDS said:

What about cases where the first appearance of a character was in a cross over game? Like Banjo and Conker's first game was both Diddy Kong Racing, surely Diddy Kong Racing is as much a part of their franchises as Diddy's?

Those were retroactive cameos. I call them retcams.

#20 Posted by ZombiePie (5643 posts) -

@TheMasterDS said:

The game should be attached to the appropriate character pages as an appearance, but because it is not a part of the "canon" of dedicated games it should not be attached to the general franchise page.

#21 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#22 Edited by TheMasterDS (2052 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

@TheMasterDS said:

The game should be attached to the appropriate character pages as an appearance, but because it is not a part of the "canon" of dedicated games it should not be attached to the general franchise page.

Who said DKR isn't cannon to Banjo or Conker?

Edit: Quick, it's example time! From the Bumper page

In a self-narrated press release for Conker: Live & Reloaded, Conker reflects on his Diddy Kong Racing days by saying "It goes without saying that you wouldn't catch me hanging out with any of those freaks these days. Last I heard at least one of 'em was in jail, anyway."

It's on the Bumper page because Leigh Loveday later said it was Bumper who was in jail.

#23 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

@mandude said:

@TheMasterDS said:

Those were retroactive cameos.

Just because they first appeared there doesn't make it part of their own franchise. Diddy Kong Racing is part of the Donkey Kong franchise. That's not to say some games can be part of two franchises, but Diddy Kong Racing is not a game in the Conker series. Conker simply appears in the game.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is not part of the Spider-Man franchise.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is not a Star Wars game.

These examples could go on forever.

Staff
#24 Posted by TheMasterDS (2052 posts) -

Let me ask this another way real fast. Marvel Vs Capcom is not part of the Iron Man franchise, but is The Avengers?

#25 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

@TheMasterDS said:

Let me ask this another way real fast. Marvel Vs Capcom is not part of the Iron Man franchise, but is The Avengers?

I would say no. We have a Marvel franchise page as well as an Avengers franchise page that would both apply to an Avengers game.

Staff
#26 Edited by slowbird (1688 posts) -

I just fixed something sorta similar to this:

From what I've been able to uncover, Beetle Adventure Racing was originally intended to be a Need for Speed game, and was thusly made using the Need for Speed physics engine, which apparently was the reason someone decided to add it to the Need for Speed franchise. That's not sound logic.

#27 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -
@slowbird

I just fixed something sorta similar to this:

From what I've been able to uncover, Beetle Adventure Racing was originally intended to be a Need for Speed game, and was thusly made using the Need for Speed physics engine, which apparently was the reason someone decided to add it to the Need for Speed franchise. That's not sound logic.

Yeah. Following that logic would put Sleeping Dogs in the True Crime franchise, which it should not be.
Staff
#28 Edited by Brackynews (4065 posts) -

This is rough stuff. I think I caught sight of one or two franchise oddities, blinked, and continued on my way. Will keep a sharper eye.

@bemusedchunk said:

F-Zero is my favorite Smash Bros. game.

On the Citadel.

#29 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

" Just because a character makes an appearance in a certain game doesn't necessarily make that game part of that character's franchise."

"Just because they first appeared there doesn't make it part of their own franchise."

ok, so should I remove Donkey Kong from the Mario franchise page? Hell, he's not even called Mario in that game.

#30 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Donkey Kong is a Mario game. It's also a Donkey Kong game. Mario makes more than just an appearance — he's the sole protagonist.

#31 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

@ManMadeGod: What said.

Staff
#32 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2495 posts) -

I'm curious what the rule for the Mario Party games would be. There's already a Mario Party franchise page and they would obviously all be added there, but would they also be added to the main Mario franchise? What about the rest of the Mario Sports/ Mario Kart games? I mean on one hand each of them has the majority of the characters from those franchises and even has "Mario" right in the title for each. Then again, they're not exactly direct sequels to the main games in the Mario franchise, and don't share any similar mechanics. It seems like a thin line for sure.

#33 Posted by Gruebacca (512 posts) -

@Vigorousjammer No, they wouldn't. It's mainly because there's about a dozen Mario Party's out there. If there's only one or two spinoffs of a certain nature, then it's probably safe to say that it's part of a franchise, but the Mario Party and Mario Sports series have long histories full of so many games that it would just clutter the Mario Franchise page with too many of them.

It's like if I have five Ferraris where four are red and one is yellow. you could organize those into one collection. Later on, however, there are 12 reds, 8 yellows, and 10 blues. For the sake of organization, it's best to separate them into their own categories.

#34 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2495 posts) -

@gruebacca:

I agree, It makes more sense to me that way. I mean, Mork may have originally appeared in Happy Days, but I wouldn't say Mork & Mindy is part of the Happy Days franchise.

Then again... I would consider Josie & The Pussycats in Outer Space to be part of the Josie & the Pussycats franchise. I'm conflicted about all this.

I'll wait for confirmation from staff or a mod before changing anything.

#35 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@gruebacca: @vigorousjammer: sadly though, this logic is not reflected in the actual wiki pages and the mario franchise page IS cluttered with all these random spin offs (at least when I last checked) ...and the same goes for other franchises, too.

we REALLY need an easy, well integrated guide system that EVERYONE can find without having to look through all the forums or outdated FAQs.