• 78 results
#51 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Don't know if this is a big deal, but when adding similar games, I find it enough to include one game from a particular franchise, e.g. for Forza 3, it's enough to include only one Gran Turismo game, and not all Gran Turismo titles. I saw a page for one game that listed every single Grand Theft Auto game as a similar game, despite the fact that the first GTA games differ from the newer ones. I guess it's too much to ask for a pop-up to prevent people from making this mistake, but I wish there was some way to teach them to avoid doing so.

As for the release dates, it feels like there isn't that much incentive for people to go in and document them, maybe because the wiki points don't count towards the main page's 'top editors' list. But it might be something else.
#52 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I go to Wikipedia for most game information, because I know that it will have a succinct explanation of what the game is (without having to read reams of data only interesting to people who are already playing the game). I would be more inclined to use and edit the wiki if it was guaranteed that I could get at the important facts right away.

#53 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" What's the limit on pictures? I've been doing the KZ3 weapons and adding a pic for each one but it's simply starting to get too big. Have I gone too far? "
I hate people who add detailed sections dedicated to the Weapons or Units. What is the point of having the Shotgun page or Zergling page when all that info gets put on the Game page?
#54 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -
@damswedon said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" What's the limit on pictures? I've been doing the KZ3 weapons and adding a pic for each one but it's simply starting to get too big. Have I gone too far? "
I hate people who add detailed sections dedicated to the Weapons or Units. What is the point of having the Shotgun page or Zergling page when all that info gets put on the Game page? "
It was a task by one of the moderators, man. 
#55 Posted by Hailinel (22668 posts) -

Regarding plot summaries on game pages, I think that they should be thoroughly detailed, but if there's a specific plot thread related to a character, it can be covered in more detail in that character's page.

#56 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I noticed that you slapped a task on the MK9 page asking for character information to be moved to character pages. Now absolutely everything about the game's characters is gone. Clearly you felt there was too much before, but none is surely too little. So then, what is the appropriate amount? While I do agree that it could have used a little trimming, what used to be there wasn't than much more than what's found on the SSF4 page. Should that be cut down as well, and would you agree that the editor was being overzealous?

#57 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @damswedon said:
" @Enigma777 said:
I hate people who add detailed sections dedicated to the Weapons or Units. What is the point of having the Shotgun page or Zergling page when all that info gets put on the Game page? "
It was a task by one of the moderators, man.  "
Well then the mods that put those tasks up are idiots. It clutters the pages and makes it harder to find the information you want. The only thing that I hate more on game pages are lists of every track on the soundtracks.
#58 Posted by Burn1n9m4n (258 posts) -

How many spaces do you put after a period. Is it one or two?

#59 Posted by BeachThunder (11252 posts) -
@Burn1n9m4n said:
" How many spaces do you put after a period. Is it one or two? "
Always one.
#60 Posted by FLStyle (4394 posts) -

As far as characters go, it would be nice to have a consensus of the headers that are used. Any one character have can a mix and match of

• Overview
  • Origins
  • Creation
  • Early Life
  • Headers for each separate game they've appeared in
  • Story
  • Gameplay
  • Impact
  • Legacy
  • Forms
  • Versions
  • Transformations
  • Information
  • Facts
  • Fun facts
  • Trivia
  • Other appearances
  • Other media
  • Quotes

Personally I think it should be:

Overview

General details

Creation

Who created the character, when etc.

Story

Short desciption of personality

Metal Gear Solid 1

Events of the game

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

Gameplay

Legacy

Forms

All tranformations, enhancements and Power ups

Information

Trivia

Quotes

Other Media

#61 Posted by LordAndrew (13972 posts) -
@FLStyle: Characters have gameplay? You crazy. :P Maybe you could explain that one a bit?
#62 Posted by FLStyle (4394 posts) -
@LordAndrew:
  • Ryu always has Hadoken but only started using the Metsu Hadoken in Street Fighter IV
  • In DMC1 Dante's Devil Trigger abilities depended on the weapon he used but in DMC2 he could choose three different powers to use when using the Devil Trigger
  • Mario likes to jump on things

etc.
#63 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I was one of those lunatics who suggested Mount & Blade Warband as the next TNT game, and I don't regret it for a second!

64 player servers, good network code, great gameplay, what is to not like about it?
#64 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

So my other post hasn't been addressed, but I'll ask this anyway. Would it be ok if I went and added characters back to the MK9 page? I know the task was put on because it was bloated, but to have nothing at all about them seems dumb. If I keep the info slim, just a name and basic description, would that be cool?

Characters are a huge part of fighting games, so the page feels incomplete without them, but I don't want to put in the work only to have it all removed. I didn't think you intended for everything to be taken down, but the task description is vague. If you made it clear how much information is appropriate this type of confusion would be easily avoided.

#65 Posted by Hailinel (22668 posts) -

Also, regarding pages for characters with no canon name (i.e.: characters that the player is asked to name that do not provide a default name), what I've been doing, and what I feel a solid, general guideline can be, is for the page name to be something along the lines of "*Game Name* Protagonist", or "*Game Name* Hero/Heroine."  Examples:

Persona 3 Portable Heroine
Way of the Samurai 3 Protagonist
Bladestorm Protagonist

#66 Posted by Hailinel (22668 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @Burn1n9m4n said:
Always one. "
Slate isn't the definitive source of English culture.

Multiple style guides for English writing (with far more clout than Slate) state that two spaces is correct.
#67 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Hailinel: While I'll acknowledge that many style guides do support double spacing, if you look at the majority of professionally written text, single spacing is more prevalent. Given that articles on Giant Bomb also use this common standard, I feel wiki entities would do well to follow suit.
#68 Posted by DystopiaX (5240 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" I was one of those lunatics who suggested Mount & Blade Warband as the next TNT game, and I don't regret it for a second!

64 player servers, good network code, great gameplay, what is to not like about it?
"
The fact that you'd be hard pressed to find 64 giantbombers who have or are willing to buy the game?
It would be fun to watch though, I liked the QLs
#69 Posted by BeachThunder (11252 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Burn1n9m4n said:
Always one. "
Slate isn't the definitive source of English culture.Multiple style guides for English writing (with far more clout than Slate) state that two spaces is correct. "
I'll assume you didn't read through the article fully, regardless, it's not so much about Slate than it is the sentiment. Anyway, I'd like to believe that something like the CMOS (mentioned in the article) is reasonably authoritative on this sort of thing.
#70 Posted by Hailinel (22668 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Burn1n9m4n said:
Always one. "
Slate isn't the definitive source of English culture.Multiple style guides for English writing (with far more clout than Slate) state that two spaces is correct. "
I'll assume you didn't read through the article fully, regardless, it's not so much about Slate than it is the sentiment. Anyway, I'd like to believe that something like the CMOS (mentioned in the article) is reasonably authoritative on this sort of thing. "
If that's the case, then you should cite them directly, rather than that condescending internet rag.
#71 Posted by BeachThunder (11252 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Burn1n9m4n said:
Always one. "
I'll assume you didn't read through the article fully, regardless, it's not so much about Slate than it is the sentiment. Anyway, I'd like to believe that something like the CMOS (mentioned in the article) is reasonably authoritative on this sort of thing. "
If that's the case, then you should cite them directly, rather than that condescending internet rag. "
>_> Yeah, probably. I guess I was being lazy when I posted that; I was linked to the article a while back and bookmarked it, so i just copy/pasted the URL here <_<
#72 Posted by Burn1n9m4n (258 posts) -
@BeachThunder: @BeachThunder said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Burn1n9m4n said:
Always one. "
If that's the case, then you should cite them directly, rather than that condescending internet rag. "
>_> Yeah, probably. I guess I was being lazy when I posted that; I was linked to the article a while back and bookmarked it, so i just copy/pasted the URL here <_< "
Well regardless, it seems that the answer is technically two, but given the way that things work it would seem that it doesn't seem to matter.
#73 Posted by B0nd07 (1674 posts) -
@Burn1n9m4n said:
"@BeachThunder said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @Burn1n9m4n said:
Always one. "
>_> Yeah, probably. I guess I was being lazy when I posted that; I was linked to the article a while back and bookmarked it, so i just copy/pasted the URL here <_< "
Well regardless, it seems that the answer is technically two, but given the way that things work it would seem that it doesn't seem to matter. "
Technically, no, it doesn't matter.  The only time it's explicitly wrong to use two spaces is if, for example, your editor or instructor tells you it is when writing an article or paper.  So, until it becomes part of the official wiki guidelines, no one should really complain about it.  If it happens to really bother you, feel free to change it if you come across it.  That said, if someone is adding to a page that is primarily formatted one way or the other, they should try to stick to that formatting, so at the very least that page is formatted the same way.
#74 Posted by BeachThunder (11252 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
That said, if someone is adding to a page that is primarily formatted one way or the other, they should try to stick to that formatting, so at the very least that page is formatted the same way. "
Fair point, regardless of which way you think is correct, an inconsistent article is always going to be the worst outcome.
#75 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

How about standardized fields for topics you feel should be covered for every game? Should help the formatting along.

For example:
-Overview
-Story
-Gameplay
-Tech (system requirements, engine...techie stuff)

Anyway, you get my drift. Seeing headers without anything under them might also motivate people more to fill them out?
#76 Posted by Hailinel (22668 posts) -

Also, it should be pointed out that subjective text such as this is highly unnecessary and should not be the sort of tone taken:

Seriously, people.  Who writes this shit?  It's enough to say that the concept is for fighting games with rosters consisting entirely of women without trying for the "clever" insults.
#77 Posted by LordAndrew (13972 posts) -

The Slate article does indeed suck donkey balls. But HTML only supports one space, so that decision was made for us twenty years ago (or fifty years if you take HTML ancestors into account). Yeah, you can cheat by using non-breaking spaces, but that really isn't what non-breaking spaces are supposed to be used for. Just like how tables aren't supposed to be used to control page layout, but people do it anyway.

#78 Posted by Hailinel (22668 posts) -

Also, given the number of tasks that have been created to take care of this specific problem, this guide might be another place to highlight the point that plagiarism is a no-no.

#79 Posted by aspro73 (20 posts) -

I've recently started to go through my old gaming magazines (some as old as from 1991) and begun to add a "Critical Reception" section to any game I find.  So far, since I am doing it by date, I only add EGM but in time I'll be adding the other publications as well.

Clearly I find it something worthwhile, but is it something that the site views as needed? I don;t want to do all these only to have them erased as part of a re-design.