#1 Posted by mortface (108 posts) -

How do we write entries about companies that have changed names over time?

I want to contribute to the page about Merit Studios Europe. They were previously called Zeppelin Games, and are currently called Eutechnyx. These three companies currently have three separate pages, as if they are three entirely unrelated companies. Should I just update each separate page?

Is there a way to 'link' companies that have changed names over time, to get a full picture of their development history? Should I update the Eutechnyx page with the full history?

The page for Eutechnyx makes it appear to be just a racing game developer, but it has a much longer history going back to 1987.

#2 Posted by BlackLagoon (1434 posts) -

I think you're supposed to move all the games and information to the page with their current name, then have the older pages deleted and the names added to the current one as aliases. Personally I'm not too crazy about this method though - I wish there was a way for the wiki to retain the credited name for their older titles.

#3 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

@blacklagoon: Yup, I wish Giant Bomb took a page out of discogs.com's book with their system of Aritst Name Variations and aliases that has you enter an artist page's name so it links to the correct artist and then you have the ANV field which lets you enter the name as it is displayed on whatever release you have. Then there are the aliases, which are not at all like the GB aliases since they are separate pages but they all link to one another.

I hope the way the new site is built isn't prohibitive to adding such features to the site as it is inherently problematic to run a wiki and then not have the system cater to the needs of the data.

#4 Edited by bhtav (49 posts) -

I've run into a similar problem with Bally Midway. It's completely inaccurate to cite Bally and Midway mfr as publisher(s) for a game, when (the now-defunct) Bally-Midway was the actual publisher. There is no way to tag a release with Bally-Midway, however, leading to a confusing, and ultimately inaccurate, infobox.

#5 Posted by DeF (4893 posts) -

@bhtav: Well, in that specific case you could just create a Bally-Midway company page, though.

#6 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2503 posts) -

@blacklagoon said:

I think you're supposed to move all the games and information to the page with their current name, then have the older pages deleted and the names added to the current one as aliases.

This is the proper way to do it, I believe.

However, I also think it'd be more appropriate to have multiple pages depending on the officially credited name. At that point, instead of shoving all of the information onto one page, we could simply list the history of each company based on the time that they used that name, while also citing at the top of the article what the company was formerly named, or at the bottom of the article what they changed their name to... possibly even providing links to those other company pages.

Of course, I think small changes to a company's name (such as changing from "Inc." to "Co., Ltd." or changes in spelling / punctuation) should simply be added to the aliases on a company page. No need to have "Squaresoft" and "Square Co., Ltd." be two separate pages.

This is just how I see it, though...