Concepts =/= Characters

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Phantom5800

If you go to this page in particular (Pokemon Ranger), you will see under concepts all manner of pokemon characters listed. This is very annoying/stupid imo. Just taking the first on the very long list as an example: Walrein is a walrus pokemon character, I see no reason how this could be classified as a concept. If this is already under control, I apologize, but if it is not I request someone on staff or moderator (if you guys have the ability) to look into it and fix this. If someone however agrees that a character can = concept, please kindly explain, lol.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

I agree. There are a lot of people who don't understand the concept of...well -- concepts. Some people who like to abuse their power with over 5000 wiki points, as well.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By metal_mills

Pokemon can be classed as a concept because for example a Charmander is a species, not a character. However I do think Pokemon should be all under 1 concept excluding special ones like pikachu who can be classed as both concept and a main character.

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Phantom5800

^ I can see your point and agree to an extent. I agree that Pokemon should be one concept (which it already is). But if there are any species of pokemon that for some reason or another are given their own page, it should be as a character. I understand what you are saying, but the role each individual pokemon plays in a game (or that horrible anime) is as a unique character not as an overlying concept.

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nik_NYG
Metal_Mills said:
"Pokemon can be classed as a concept because for example a Charmander is a species, not a character. However I do think Pokemon should be all under 1 concept excluding special ones like pikachu who can be classed as both concept and a main character.
"

There are more than one pikachus. Should be a concept. The Pikachu is SSBB is A pikachu. Not the pikachu.
ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ltcoljaxson
Nik_NYG said:
"Metal_Mills said:
"Pokemon can be classed as a concept because for example a Charmander is a species, not a character. However I do think Pokemon should be all under 1 concept excluding special ones like pikachu who can be classed as both concept and a main character.
"

There are more than one pikachus. Should be a concept. The Pikachu is SSBB is A pikachu. Not the pikachu."
Yes this.

If in the games there is more than one of the characters, than it is considered a concept on this site. Characters are only characters IF only one of them exists. ex. Gordon Freeman from Half-Life is a character because only one of him exists.

Most of the pokemon are just species, so they are concepts. Until we get a species page, all pokemon will be considered concepts.
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By metal_mills
Nik_NYG said:
"Metal_Mills said:
"

There are more than one pikachus. Should be a concept. The Pikachu is SSBB is A pikachu. Not the pikachu."

Pikachu  is also a character though. He just hasn't got a unique name.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By and333
Metal_Mills said:
"Nik_NYG said:
"Metal_Mills said:
"

"
But it has never been said that the Pikachu in smash bros was the pikachu we all know and love i guess from the t.v. series.  Smash bros is weird because its a big grouping of characters. I heard they are working on a species and class type page so this confusion will be gone soon enough.
exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By exfate

A Pokémon can be both  a character and a concept. It's just confusing when the Pokémon doesn't have any name other than the name of it's species - as in the case of Pikachu.

In my opinion Pikachu is a valid character when appearing in a non-Pokemon game such as SSBB.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By metal_mills
and333 said:
"Metal_Mills said:
"Nik_NYG said:
"Metal_Mills said:
"

"
But it has never been said that the Pikachu in smash bros was the pikachu we all know and love i guess from the t.v. series.  Smash bros is weird because its a big grouping of characters. I heard they are working on a species and class type page so this confusion will be gone soon enough.
"
Pikachu(the one from the tv show) has been in at least 1 game though. Pokemon Yellow.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

Generic creatures and enemies (Goombas, Piranha Plants, Horstachios, etc.) should be concepts. Specific creatures or enemies (Goombella, Petey Piranha, Hudson Horstachio) should be characters. So says Josh. I would imagine that's the official word.

Pikachu would be a character only if it's the Pikachu. Any generic Pikachu would be a concept.

Errorsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Errorsol
LordAndrew said:
"Generic creatures and enemies (Goombas, Piranha Plants, Horstachios, etc.) should be concepts
"

Someone added all of the generic Resident Evil 4 enemies as characters instead of concepts. Still, I think that there should be a specific section for species/generic enemies/whatever instead of making them concepts.
Djungelurban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Djungelurban

It should be either that all Pokémons are characters or that all Pokémons are concepts. I don't care which you end up choosing, just, for god's sake, be consistent.