• 157 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#51 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

@Landon said:

I don't see why we can't just give him a new page all together. If Megaman, Megaman, and Megaman all get separate pages, why can't these two Dantes? Those Megamans have a ton in common, these two Dantes are barley the same person.

Except all three Megamen are different, unrelated characters whereas "new" Dante is a reboot of the series.

#52 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

I'd prefer it to be Dante I know and love rather than the new one.

We're yet to see if this new DmC is going anywhere or if it's just a terrible offshoot like Wand of Gamelon. And even Wand of Gamelon didn't fuck with Link's design too much.

#53 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: You never give up do you... And with characters like Mario it's different, because he doesn't follow a continuity or any sort of story progression. He's a mascot more than he is an actual character. But if that was to be Mario's new look for the majority of his appearances on the Wii U, then yes, I imagine that is how he would be represented on his character page.

#54 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

Requesting a staff verdict. Cease all debates and argument until then.

Ah, alritey then.

#55 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Landon said:

I don't see why we can't just give him a new page all together. If Megaman, Megaman, and Megaman all get separate pages, why can't these two Dantes? Those Megamans have a ton in common, these two Dantes are barley the same person.

Except all three Megamen are different, unrelated characters whereas "new" Dante is a reboot of the series.

Bullshit. Megaman and Megaman X are the exact same character, the only differences being one game has better graphics and one of the Megamans is referred to as X. They could share a page. Megaman.exe has a personality that isn't like the other two.

#56 Posted by LiquidPrince (15850 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@LiquidPrince: You never give up do you... And with characters like Mario it's different, because he doesn't follow a continuity or any sort of story progression. He's a mascot more than he is an actual character. But if that was to be Mario's new look for the majority of his appearances on the Wii U, then yes, I imagine that is how he would be represented on his character page.

Not when I'm right. Every main character of franchise is the mascot for said franchise. Continuity is irrelevant. It's what is the most recognizable face for the franchise. DmC is considered an off shoot and not canonical to what DMC is, and should be treated as such.

#57 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

#58 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

@Landon said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Landon said:

I don't see why we can't just give him a new page all together. If Megaman, Megaman, and Megaman all get separate pages, why can't these two Dantes? Those Megamans have a ton in common, these two Dantes are barley the same person.

Except all three Megamen are different, unrelated characters whereas "new" Dante is a reboot of the series.

Bullshit. Megaman and Megaman X are the exact same character, the only differences being one game has better graphics and one of the Megamans is referred to as X. They could share a page. Megaman.exe has a personality that isn't like the other two.

Dude, what? They're explicitly different characters; X is the second version of Mega Man that Light built.

#59 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Yummylee said:

@LiquidPrince: You never give up do you... And with characters like Mario it's different, because he doesn't follow a continuity or any sort of story progression. He's a mascot more than he is an actual character. But if that was to be Mario's new look for the majority of his appearances on the Wii U, then yes, I imagine that is how he would be represented on his character page.

Not when I'm right. Every main character of franchise is the mascot for said franchise. Continuity is irrelevant. It's what is the most recognizable face for the franchise. DmC is considered an off shoot and not canonical to what DMC is, and should be treated as such.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAH! MY BISHIE WHITE HAIRED PRINCE WILL BE BACK! MARK MY WORDS! THIS IS AN OFF-SHOOT! THIS ISN'T DEVIL MAY CRY! DANTE SMOKES! WAAAAAAAAAH!"

#60 Posted by ViciousReiven (820 posts) -

Just want to put my 2 cents in, not regarding Dante, but the rule in general, I very much don't like it. 
Wouldn't it be better to have the default image be something that the majority of users would recognize?  
And wouldn't the subsequently be the most iconic version of that character?  
 
As someone stated above a lot of characters simply don't change, and that's fine and dandy, but we're constantly having more sequels and reboots that do change them, and when that happens (for better or worse) I personally feel the original incarnation should be what's displayed. 
I can understand the idea of keeping a page current, but at the same time it has to be a resource for an entire series, not just the latest release, and I think as a resource for a series it should either have the original appearance or the majority of appearances be the main image of that series as a whole. 
 
Whatever you guys end up deciding I'll deal with but I just wanted to get my word in.

#61 Posted by Hailinel (23930 posts) -

They still make games with the original Dante, like Project X Zone.

#62 Posted by TheHT (10908 posts) -

@CL60 said:

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

if the picture iss of old Dante, iss against rule. if iss of new Dante, iss not representative of popularity.

iss very serious problem.

#63 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@psylah said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: Yes, but this is what he looks like in his latest game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/pac-man-galaga-dimensions/61-34079/

Let's not forget the latest iteration of Mega Man

Stop being so obtuse. That's a cameo in a fighting game for Christmas sake. Much like how Street Fighter x Tekken isn't considered a Mega Man game, that portrayal of Mega Man obviously isn't exactly in tune with 'canon' Mega Man.

He is the most canonest of canon Mega Mens, designed to look like the boxart from the original game!

#64 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Landon said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Landon said:

I don't see why we can't just give him a new page all together. If Megaman, Megaman, and Megaman all get separate pages, why can't these two Dantes? Those Megamans have a ton in common, these two Dantes are barley the same person.

Except all three Megamen are different, unrelated characters whereas "new" Dante is a reboot of the series.

Bullshit. Megaman and Megaman X are the exact same character, the only differences being one game has better graphics and one of the Megamans is referred to as X. They could share a page. Megaman.exe has a personality that isn't like the other two.

Dude, what? They're explicitly different characters; X is the second version of Mega Man that Light built.

This. That's like saying Zero and Proto Man are the same character.

Especially since Megaman and X live in the same timeline even.

EDIT: By the by, I think new Dante should have a seperate page. I mean he's supposed to be a completely new reimagining of the character with no direct ties other than inspiration from the Dante we know.

#65 Posted by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

.

And who are you to doubt Kamiya-san?

#66 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -
Can't we all just get along?
#67 Edited by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: And what is considered the most recognisable is completely subjective. Should we then proceed to tally up which outfit Dante has worn the most and then choose that one as his most ''recognisable''? Maybe we check the numbers of which DMC game sold the most (oh, and the anime!) and use that to determine which Dante is the most ''recognisable''?

In any case you don't make the rules and neither do I, and all that's left now is to wait on the verdict, and perhaps some added clarity, from zombiepie. If the staff/mods decide that classic Dante (but which iteration of classic Dante! Oh Noes!) is to be put up, then so be it. If NT Dante is to be given his own alternate page, then all the better. That and The Prince will require his own as well, considering he has his own 'alternative' iteration.

#68 Posted by TheHT (10908 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

If the staff/mods decide that classic Dante (but which iteration of classic Dante! Oh Noes!)

DMC3 Dante obviously. Because it's the best of the three.

#69 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Yummylee said:

If the staff/mods decide that classic Dante (but which iteration of classic Dante! Oh Noes!)

DMC3 Dante obviously. Because it's the best of the three.

Nuh uh! DMC4 Dante is the bestest because I say so!

#70 Posted by TheHT (10908 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@TheHT said:

@Yummylee said:

If the staff/mods decide that classic Dante (but which iteration of classic Dante! Oh Noes!)

DMC3 Dante obviously. Because it's the best of the three.

Nuh uh! DMC4 Dante is the bestest because I say so!

Now we have to fight.

#71 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

@CL60 said:

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

I have to agree with this. I mean I think the new Dante looks like an asshat but to be fighting over this is a bit silly.

#72 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@CL60 said:

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

Jesus, man. Breathe!

#73 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@CL60 said:

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

Jesus, man. Breathe!

NO. Some people here take the wiki FAR too seriously. It's one thing to complain about legit things wrong with the wiki, and it's another thing entirely to consistently have arguments about things on the wiki that literally don't matter what so ever. AT ALL.

#74 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Yes. Yes. Feel the hatred flow through you.

#75 Posted by Hailinel (23930 posts) -
@CL60

@Yummylee said:

@CL60 said:

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

Jesus, man. Breathe!

NO. Some people here take the wiki FAR too seriously. It's one thing to complain about legit things wrong with the wiki, and it's another thing entirely to consistently have arguments about things on the wiki that literally don't matter what so ever. AT ALL.

Chill the fuck out. The question raised is a legitimate topic of debate for the wiki, and this isn't nearly as bad as arguments on Wikipedia.
#76 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Yummylee said:

@CL60 said:

WHO FUCKING CARES, IT'S A PICTURE OF THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER ON A PAGE.

Jesus, man. Breathe!

NO.

Well, as a Doctor, I must advise that you reconsider. Otherwise you will eventually succumb to what we in the Medical Field™ like to call: Death.

#77 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Yummylee said:

@psylah said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: Yes, but this is what he looks like in his latest game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/pac-man-galaga-dimensions/61-34079/

Let's not forget the latest iteration of Mega Man

Stop being so obtuse. That's a cameo in a fighting game for Christmas sake. Much like how Street Fighter x Tekken isn't considered a Mega Man game, that portrayal of Mega Man obviously isn't exactly in tune with 'canon' Mega Man.

He is the most canonest of canon Mega Mens, designed to look like the boxart from the original game!

Just think how the history of Mega Man could have gone...

#78 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@psylah said:

@Yummylee said:

@psylah said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: Yes, but this is what he looks like in his latest game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/pac-man-galaga-dimensions/61-34079/

Let's not forget the latest iteration of Mega Man

Stop being so obtuse. That's a cameo in a fighting game for Christmas sake. Much like how Street Fighter x Tekken isn't considered a Mega Man game, that portrayal of Mega Man obviously isn't exactly in tune with 'canon' Mega Man.

He is the most canonest of canon Mega Mens, designed to look like the boxart from the original game!

Just think how the history of Mega Man could have gone...

Who knows, if Mega Man was running around looking like that, the games probably wouldn't have sold and capcom would've had to cancel all of their Megan Man projects and abandon him altogether.

Oh wait.

#79 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
#80 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@Yummylee: Wait hold on... Dante was red-jacket Dante for like 10 years, he's in 4 games like that, a bunch of spin-off games, MOST of the page's text and images or of old-Dante, and this new version is even listed as "Alternate Version".
 
I think he's a dumb character either way, but you are wrong on this.
And if there's a written rule somewhere that says it's always the newest design then that rule's wrong. I just looked up Naked Snake and it's a picture of one easter-egg cameo he makes!
 
The rule should be that it's the design that APPEARS IN THE MOST GAMES, cos that's what most of the page's text is gonna say.
Unless it's the same character in a different outfit, like say Devil May Cry 1, 2, 3 or 4. Or link, or Wario or whatever.
#81 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I don't really care. If you change it and someone changes it back to the old look. So be I say, let them have their picture. Put DMC2 Dante up there to unset both sides.

#82 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@I_smell: No use arguing, Staff is going to rule over it.

#83 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@Dagbiker: Well then whoever staff is should read that post about what's wrong with the rule!
#84 Edited by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@I_smell: To what end? Considering how many games original Dante starred in, you're telling me that NT Dante has to then match that exact amount to have any chance of taking the spot? Even if he actually becomes the new permanent design of Dante? Honestly this only furthers the possible requirement for NT Dante to get his own page, as should other characters who go through a reboot/reimagining/ect.

Also spin-offs shouldn't count at all, because then you also have to consider which iteration of the original Dante has to be put up... Common sense would have you assume DMC4 Dante, but then original Dante is also starring in that Japanese collaborative strategy 3DS game (which is technically his latest appearance), so should that be his default image? Even if it's not the image that the majority may recognise him by? Or the fact that it's not even a DMC game?

See this is why I'm glad I brought up this topic, because it's currently so up in the air. It'd be appreciative to see what the ground rules are, especially since Jeff has recently been getting into the nitty gritty specifics of how the wiki should be run.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Put DMC2 Dante up there to unset both sides.

Dayuum, man. Low blow.

#85 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -
#86 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

so what about vergil, though his appearance is not as radical he did get a sweet hat.

#87 Edited by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

so what about vergil, though his appearance is not as radical he did get a sweet hat.

It's funny how Vergil's page was untouched. The 'new' Vergil has stayed that way since I first uploaded it, and that's why I found this to be so annoying. The only reason the person kept changing it back was because he preferred the older design of Dante. It had nothing to do with some twisted perception of what the wiki rules are. For him this was....

Personal.

He mixed business with pleasure, and once this user has been found out, he must be royally banned up the butt.

In any case whatever happens to Dante will obviously continue on to Vergil I suppose. If Dante's default image reverts to classic Dante, then so should Vergil's. Same if NT Dante gets his own character page.

#88 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@Yummylee said:

@I_smell: To what end? Considering how many games original Dante starred in, you're telling me that NT Dante has to then match that exact amount to have any chance of taking the spot? Even if he actually becomes the new permanent design of Dante? Honestly this only furthers the possible requirement for NT Dante to get his own page, as should other characters who go through a reboot/reimagining/ect.

Also spin-offs shouldn't count at all, because then you also have to consider which iteration of the original Dante has to be put up... Common sense would have you assume DMC4 Dante, but then original Dante is also starring in that Japanese collaborative strategy 3DS game (which is technically his latest appearance), so should that be his default image? Even if it's not the image that the majority may recognise him by? Or the fact that it's not even a DMC game?

See this is why I'm glad I brought up this topic, because it's currently so up in the air. It'd be appreciative to see what the ground rules are, especially since Jeff has recently been getting into the nitty gritty specifics of how the wiki should be run.

First paragraph: Yes. If Ninja Theory makes like 3 more games with that Dante then everyone will have forgot about the old one.  Yes.

Second paragraph: He's the same person in all the games so far. "The original Dante" and "Devil May Cry 4 Dante" is basically the same thing. The picture should be that guy.
#89 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@I_smell: No, I know. I was referring to the same Dante when I said DMC4 and Original Dante.

And so that's your stance? NT Dante would have to star in another three games for him to then be considered the next Dante?

#90 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i really cant think of another instance where the main character of a game has gone under such a radical redesign.

#91 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Hey if he stars in like 2 more games then it's UP FOR DEBATE whether or not this is who Dante is. If he takes up more of the wiki text than old Dante, or overtakes him in Images, or if there's people here who don't remember old Dante, or just ANY indication that he's here to stay, then let's talk about it.
 
But right now he doesn't even show up on Google Images til like 10 pages down. This guy's a BLIP on the timeline of Devil May Cry games.

#92 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Yummylee: No ones going to get banned, It was unclear to the mods what the rules are, so how is some one else going to know?

#93 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Also Vergil's probably fine because I THINK he's popped up in like one game ever. Ninja Theory could easily make me forget what the old one looked like.

#94 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: No ones going to get banned, It was unclear to the mods what the rules are, so how is some one else going to know?

I wasn't actually suggesting that someone should be banned.

#95 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@I_smell said:

Also Vergil's probably fine because I THINK he's popped up in like one game ever. Ninja Theory could easily make me forget what the old one looked like.

Oh-My-God, see! This is the problem here! Oh, so classic Vergil's fine for you just because he only starred in one (well, two technically) game? But then think of the inconsistency as Dante has up original Dante and Vergil is being represented by Reboots Inc.

#96 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: No ones going to get banned, It was unclear to the mods what the rules are, so how is some one else going to know?

I wasn't actually suggesting that someone should be banned.

wut wut?

@Yummylee said:

He mixed business with pleasure, and once this user has been found out, he must be royally banned up the butt.

#97 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

new dante is in Playstation all stars if that means anything to this discussion. which is funny because classic dante is in project x zone and MvC 3

#98 Posted by Genkkaku (733 posts) -

I think that the new design Dante should be up because they are not going to go back on the design, and that this is Dante now. and who he will be going foward.

#99 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Yummylee said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Yummylee: No ones going to get banned, It was unclear to the mods what the rules are, so how is some one else going to know?

I wasn't actually suggesting that someone should be banned.

wut wut?

@Yummylee said:

He mixed business with pleasure, and once this user has been found out, he must be royally banned up the butt.

I'm glad you put that part in bold, because I added that there to signify how completely not-serious I was being.

#100 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -


i feel like everyone should see that sweet hat