Editing Achievments pages

xrayzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By xrayzwei

Is there a restriction on editing the achievment pages?  Wouldn't it be nice to add information beyond what the basic xbox achievement  description is listed as?  For instance in Lego Batman,The Richest Man in Gotham award is described as "max out the stud counter" but the page doesn't allow a place to add what that amount might factually be outside of the comments.  I think the body of the page should allow an edit to enter the fact information.  That's merely one example, and it shouldn't be for recommended guides or anything, but the facts specifically.

Thanks

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Achievements aren't part of the wiki system. They are information pulled straight from Xbox, Steam and WoW via API's.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
@MattyFTM said:
" Achievements aren't part of the wiki system. They are information pulled straight from Xbox, Steam and WoW via API's. "
What Matty said.  You can't edit the achievement stuff on this site.
xrayzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xrayzwei

I figured as much, but that's why I added the "wouldn't it be nice part".  Maybe in the future we could get something more than just the download from the other services.  Also, if it's not part of the wiki, and isn't going to be, can we get the edit button removed?  Just some thoughts.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail

There's a comments section for each and every achievement that's sole purpose was for helping to do them.  Just use that.

xrayzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xrayzwei

But comments aren't moderated like the wiki.  While I could put factual information in the comments, there really isn't a way to vet that information, and it could be wrong.  Anybody with an account could add something, I would lke it better if it were moderated. 

I hear what the three of you are saying, I'm just trying to provide something I think would be an improvement for later. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

A moderator would have no way of actually knowing whether something is true or not without testing it, which is rarely practical.

On other sites like GameFAQs, every single submission has to be manually approved. But it's just not practical for SBAllen to take the time to verify all cheats/codes and guides.

From the May 26 edition of Ask GameFAQs:

"If someone submits a cheat for a game you own, do you take the time to pop it in your system and test it personally, or do you put it up and let the GameFAQs users do the testing?" -Ragn_Charran

I'll be honest here. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to test cheats, even if they are as simple as "Press the buttons on the title screen". While it would be really cool to quality test every single piece of content we host, it just simply isn't plausible. Thus, I weed out the ridiculous sounding cheats and the cheats that aren't really cheats and then post whatever's left and let the public inform me if one is false. It's not perfect, but it works really well.

Obviously this isn't GameFAQs, but the same issues exist here too. Anyone could submit anything whether it's legitimate or not. If you do find achievement comments or guides that you think are intentionally providing false information, you should contact a moderator about it.
xrayzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xrayzwei

But how are facts checked on the wiki pages now? I'm not saying the moderator should test the item, maybe they also unlocked said achievement anyway or they should use the same tools they're already using to check information on wiki pages.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the information I think should be added is not a guide, which to me would be the OPINION of the submiting party as the correct way to do something.  What I'm talking about are facts, just like the other items in the wiki pages, that aren't included in the achievement descriptors that are downloaded from Xbox, Steam, WOW and future possibilities.  Take my example, for instance, to make things simple.  I'm not asking for the page to say HOW to max out the stud counter in Lego Batman.  What I'm recommending is that someone can add what the specific number is to max out the stud counter and unlock the achievement.  Right now the provided descriptor just says that maxing it out is the requirement. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

For the most part, I don't think facts are checked at all unless they sound ridiculous. There are only five wiki moderators right now. They just don't have the time to investigate every single submission.