Honestly, up the 1000 point barrier

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By packfan104l4

I've noticed a LOT of wiki's and sidebars getting screwed up by 1000+ members just trying to earn more points.  For example, on the Soul Calibur 4 page I added a paragraph under the "achievement" section (which by the way was called "In Game Achievements" before someone took it out) that explained how the 1.01 patch locked the game save on the PS3 to your PSN ID for a rumored trophy addition.  This section clearly answered about 10 peoples questions in the forum below, so it would OBVIOUSLY help people who would read it.  But noooooooo, someone took out the paragraph, stretched out the page and added even MORE guides and crap that aren't supposed to even be posted.

I know a higher point barrier for auto submitting wiki edits would put a higher strain on the mods, but it's obviously putting a strain on the idea of well put together pages for people looking for fast copy/paste points.  Note that I only gave one example, but half of my well thought out edits have been nerfed by copy/paste, stretched out addicts looking for points.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Well, there's obviously going to be people doing things like that. I imagine a lot of people with 1000+ points did it through sheer image uploads, not through article submissions or edits at all. They would have no practical experience on the site, and who the hell knows if they bothered passing 6th grade English.

That being said- how DO you get points after 1,000?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Jayge said:
"Well, there's obviously going to be people doing things like that. I imagine a lot of people with 1000+ points did it through sheer image uploads, not through article submissions or edits at all. They would have no practical experience on the site, and who the hell knows if they bothered passing 6th grade English.

"
The same way you did before you hit 1,000: either slowly and patiently, or by bombing the site with submissions. 
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA

I tend to not edit popular pages for that reason.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By falconer

This is a problem with updates not being retroactive. Your paragraph wasn't there because someone submitted their stuff before your stuff was added.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Psynapse

They are removing all of the acheivement areas from the main page if you didn't see Snide's thread in the stickies... There will be another page or something for acheivements :)

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Absurd

I'm not even there yet *cries*

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Yep, I got mine by making articles for very unpopular games. Check em out if you like, home improvement, barbie, tee off, and sabrina the teenage witch, there's more, but whateva

Note, At least this 1000+  member will not whore the pages.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AmericanPegasus
Jayge said:
"Well, there's obviously going to be people doing things like that. I imagine a lot of people with 1000+ points did it through sheer image uploads, not through article submissions or edits at all. They would have no practical experience on the site, and who the hell knows if they bothered passing 6th grade English.

"
Just like you do now..except you don't have to wait for mods to approve it.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By StarFoxA
Lemon said:
"Yep, I got mine by making articles for very unpopular games. Check em out if you like, home improvement, barbie, tee off, and sabrina the teenage witch, there's more, but whateva

Note, At least this 1000+  member will not whore the pages.
"
I don't do unpopular games; just old ones, since I enjoy classic gaming so much. :D
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By brukaoru

It doesn't matter what the limit is. People will just spam images even more to reach whatever point status they need to be at to edit wikis.

eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By eagle

Upping the limit won't help as brukaoru said. I would advise to all 1000+ users to write your addition to the page in notepad and when you are ready to add / edit it to the page refresh ( CTRL+F5) the page one last time to make sure you aren't going to overwrite someone elses work and everything will go as it should.

I'm not a big writer so I got to 1000 with screenshots but now that I am there I most enjoy keeping the pages' spelling, grammar and connections right. The things you won't get massive points for. But 5000 would be nice to pick the best box art and delete bad pictures.. I guess I have work to do. ;-)

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By serbsta

Yes ive noticed a lot of pages being edited 'for the worse' with better articles being replaced by useless garbage in some situations. There needs to be another way for this to work properly.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Systech

Well, think about it: everyone who as over a thousand points now was once in your position. I wrote up a long KOTOR page, but it got rejected because someone with over a thousand points edited it while mine was in submission.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Lies
systech said:
"Well, think about it: everyone who as over a thousand points now was once in your position. I wrote up a long KOTOR page, but it got rejected because someone with over a thousand points edited it while mine was in submission.
"
That was probably me. Apologies for that, the submission queue is a harsh mistress.

But yes, I agree, quality articles being overwritten is a big concern for everybody at this point. Seeing as there's no rollback system in place yet, the only way to safegaurd against it is to save your submissions in notepad, and resubmit them if they get overwritten. It's inelegant at best, but at least it works.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech
Lies said:
"systech said:
"Well, think about it: everyone who as over a thousand points now was once in your position. I wrote up a long KOTOR page, but it got rejected because someone with over a thousand points edited it while mine was in submission.
"
That was probably me. Apologies for that, the submission queue is a harsh mistress.

But yes, I agree, quality articles being overwritten is a big concern for everybody at this point. Seeing as there's no rollback system in place yet, the only way to safegaurd against it is to save your submissions in notepad, and resubmit them if they get overwritten. It's inelegant at best, but at least it works.
"
lol. It was better than mine, anyway.
packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By packfan104l4
ShaggyChu said:
"This is a problem with updates not being retroactive. Your paragraph wasn't there because someone submitted their stuff before your stuff was added.
"
No, it WAS there because it got accepted and got points for it.  Even looked at the page to make sure it was there.  Then 24 hours later, the page itself looked like it had been bombed by someone hellbent on stretching the page and adding things that weren't supposed to be there.  Like I changed the "achievements" title on the SC4 page to "in game achievements / honors" since those technically aren't against the "achievement" rule (aka XBL pts, etc), but apparently the 1000+ pointer felt obligated to STILL go against the rules, change it back, and delete what I added 24 hours earlier.

The point system seems to have created and elitist system, where people "claim" pages and edit anyone else out as soon as they change the page to what the elitist thinks is "wrong".
absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By absinthetic
AmericanPegasus said:
"Jayge said:

"
Just like you do now..except you don't have to wait for mods to approve it.
"
but what about the points?

i've noticed new points are not immediately refelected in your profile
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_

The points are decided by the computer. I don't really get how they know what to allocate points for, but it must check for the size of the new addition or something. I don't know.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By hazelnutman

I think that they're going to eventually abolish the 1000 point thing.

Honestly, I most of my points by adding images :|

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_

I don't think they'd ever abolish it. It's one of the most fun thing about the site, racking up points.

The image thing really should be fixed though. Like, one point per 3 images, and no extra points for extra galleries. It's ridiculous how much people get by image spamming.

And yes, although it's legitimate images, I still call it spamming.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Last I Checked achievements weren't to be added to pages yet, so maybe thats the reason. as for that there were many more problems long before the 1000 point no moderation so you cant blame it on that.

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By packfan104l4
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Last I Checked achievements weren't to be added to pages yet, so maybe thats the reason. as for that there were many more problems long before the 1000 point no moderation so you cant blame it on that.
"
WHAT????  Punctuation please!

I think you're trying to say there shouldn't be achievements added to the pages.  I'm NOT the one that added that section.  I just changed the title so the in-game idea didn't get nerfed by a mod ripping achievements outta the pages.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_

He's saying there were waaaay too many problems with people lo-jacking each other's edits BEFORE the 1,000 point implementation, I think.

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By exfate

I think the points system is a good way of preventing vandalism. There is at least a small amount of effort to gain live edit ability - probably too much for a vandal to consider worthwhile when Wikipedia is a much easier target.

There does need to be a rollback system though. Although I think you should still have to obtain 1000 points minimum you use it.

There isn't anything wrong with getting the majority of your points from image uploads, so long as your images are of a good quality and relevant to the page. I'm not saying you should go and upload tons of images just to get the points though, but if that's how it happens, so be it. Most of my points are from image uploads. However, of the three games I have the most points for, all the screenshots (hundreds) I captured myself - massive time investment, so I see no problem.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrjared

I'm going to pass this thread on to the rest of the moderators and staff as a lot of you are bringing up some valid points.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree. The 1,000 point barrier, while impossible sounding at first, doesn't quite separate the serious editors from those hoping for a bit of wiki fame. Still, we're flying without a rollback system which is still on the way. Once that is in place, I believe we'll start seeing a true, community collaboration within the articles that should weed out the bad apples.

At that point, the 1,000 point barrier may be sufficient once more. Until then, I suggest saving all your work on your computers. It's a pain, I know, but it sure beats having to redo so much hard work.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Orange

Yeah, I think the point system should be re-done somewhat. I submitted an 800-word description for a game and got 61 points. The article took quick a bit of time to piece together and write. But I have also submitted images/screenshots effortlessly and I honestly believe I received too many points for just uploading an image.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By rateoforange

Nothing can remedy this; giving people points based on submissions and then moderating submissions at all was a mistake from day one. It provides a ton of perverse incentives and doesn't work for a community this large. It might work on Comic Vine and other sites with low traffic, but GB is destined to have Wikipedia level traffic. The current system is madness-- due to time delay from moderation and points incentives, writing large articles or adding large sections to existing articles is an invitation to be overwritten.

Increasing the points barrier would exacerbate the current issues, not alleviate them. Eliminating points and moderation (at least for editing existing articles, if not creating new ones) would increase the quality of the material. This is the foundation of the wiki format, and I fail to see why it should be any different here.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_

Because, as forumgoers and videogamers, we have a much higher percentage of trolls and other mischief makers. 1,000 is a pretty stable number, but the image system is begging to be abused (read my post on the off topic forum that I accidentally made there).