#1 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Here's a another quickie faq going over the submissions system here.

The general submission / moderation flow

Basically, you guys are making tons of edits to the site. As new users, your submissions go to a general queue that the staff members look over and moderate. If your submission is approved, you earn points (varying based upon your content). Earn 1000 points and you no longer have to go through the moderation channels and can make live edits.

How long will it take my submissions to be looked at?

We're aiming for 24 hours, but well, lets just say... you guys love the bomb. We've got a HUGE amount of submissions that we're going through. Jeff and the boys are doing their best to take on this early flood of stuff. We're approving stuff by the order they were sent in. Have patience with us this first week. Most of you guys will get 1000 points soon enough and not have to worry about it anyway.

How can you help?

To keep the number submissions down. Please try and make all your content submissions for a page in one edit, instead of multiple ones. In the coming weeks, we'll be looking to the community for some trusty moderators to help out as well. However, we're no where near that point right now so please don't send us PMs volunteering just yet.

What are the most common reasons submissions are rejected?

1. Stealing content from other websites like Wikipedia
  2. Uploading Images that have watermarks
  3. Bad grammar and spelling
  4. You tried to add a page we already had, and didn't bother to browse for the page if it didn't show up in search.

Anything else to know?

1. We're continuing to optimize the performance of the site. Until then, it's prolly a good idea to keep a copy of your longer bios in a separate window just in case something... er blows up.
  2. Our editor sometimes freaks out on copy/pasted content. If you are copy pasting from a different document, please paste it into a regular .txt editor like notepad or textmate before posting. This will ensure any random HTML is not added into your submission.
#2 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have these FAQs stickied?

#3 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

cool, i'll do my best

But I have a question. Everytime I go to edit a page for Mercs2 etc. I cannot add stuff if there is nothing there

I wanna add locations and objects but when I pull up the edit page all I get is a search thing. Help me staffer dood

#4 Edited by Not_Rage (470 posts) -

Iim just wondering: How do the points work? 1 point for 1 submission? Do you get more points for longer submissions? What about images?

#5 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Nice post, answered some of my questions

#6 Posted by gameshark5 (248 posts) -

thanks for posting it, i was wondering about that

#7 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Hey come back dude!

#8 Posted by PinkElephant (112 posts) -

I was wondering how the points work too. If it's a point per submission, or even 10 points per submission, 1000 points isn't going to be an easy feat.

Good to know that we should try to do all edits in one submission. I separated a few of mine as I noticed certain things on pages, but I'll make sure to make them all in one go now.

Question: Is there a way to edit the box art? I noticed Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando has the box art for Ratchet & Clank: Locked & Loaded, for example, and couldn't figure out how to submit an edit for that.
#9 Posted by Toseph (370 posts) -

Hopefully this will stop all the "I want to be a mod" topics

#10 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Thanks!

#11 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"cool, i'll do my best

But I have a question. Everytime I go to edit a page for Mercs2 etc. I cannot add stuff if there is nothing there

I wanna add locations and objects but when I pull up the edit page all I get is a search thing. Help me staffer dood"

Use the sidebar to the left. It should show the sections that are empty.
#12 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"cool, i'll do my best

I wanna add locations and objects but when I pull up the edit page all I get is a search thing. Help me staffer dood"
Depends on your content. For example, I got 6 points for adding a few sentences into the Master Chief article, but I got 51 points for creating the MJOLNIR article, with pictures. depends on the quality I think.
#13 Posted by piecat (384 posts) -
Malakhii said:
"Nice post, answered some of my questions
"

Same here. Thanks for the info.
#14 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

okay, i'll let ya know if it works...if it does Peewi you rock

#15 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

You know, I would love to be a moderator who approves images/game information. Currently by going through some game libraries of images, there are a few images that are duplicated, really low quality, or even other images from other games in a certain games gallery.

I also think that the boxarts of all games could be improved greatly, slimming down the variations of boxarts. Like a multiplat game with the boxart for the PS3/360 version only, stuff like that could be streamlined I suppose.

But this was helpful though, perhaps you can go in depth a bit about the points though, I would like to know what generally equals what, you know.

Thanks for the QAF of sorts, sites shaping up good.

#16 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

yeah, thats not what I mean

I'll click on oh lets say "Locations' and then I click edit...and then the Luchodeer appears, and then it goes into edit mode but theres no Text box or anything, just a search thing saying "Search Locations" and its not in there. Help me Staff or users

#17 Posted by Hyperesthesiac (190 posts) -

Thank you, this answered some of my questions.

#18 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"yeah, thats not what I mean

I'll click on oh lets say "Locations' and then I click edit...and then the Luchodeer appears, and then it goes into edit mode but theres no Text box or anything, just a search thing saying "Search Locations" and its not in there. Help me Staff or users"
So you want to add a location that doesn't exist yet? Then it has be created first.
#19 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Why? That makes no sense. The idea is to add stuff

How do I create the Location then?

#20 Posted by DappaDizzle (179 posts) -

great this post was so needed thanks snide

#21 Posted by AboveNBeyond3 (7 posts) -

Useful Information indeed.

#22 Posted by Lairdo (543 posts) -

Oh dear, I didn't know taking wikipedia content wasn't allowed :(

#23 Posted by OpusAngelorum (47 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"

How do I create the Location then?

"
Browse > Locations > Add New Location
#24 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

thanks lady

#25 Posted by Link909 (1 posts) -

are we allowed to post videos of games

This would be beneficial for people looking for information on games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero to show them what the note charts look like

#26 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Hyperesthesiac said:

"Thank you, this answered some of my questions.
"

Your avatar = win. :D

Anyways like some have been saying, lately, can the main 3 consoles be added to the 'Main Boards' section?
#27 Posted by CryingHero (62 posts) -
Just after doing a full Article on PGR3 and forgot to save it.. ah well, hopefully it'll filter through though.
Great post, thanks for informing us :D
#28 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Awesome, okay, NOW im good

#29 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

sounds good to me

#30 Posted by SamuraiBudgerigar (129 posts) -

Thanks for the FAQ. Answered a few things I was curious about. Still that 1000 points thing seems an age away right now!

#31 Posted by BoldFusion (35 posts) -

I'm unsure letting people do live edits when they get 1000 points. That can be abused, but I guess anything can be. But is that the only thing points will be used for?

#32 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

I think once we hit 1000 points, then the mods/admins approve or deny us depending on our history... something like that.

#33 Edited by BoG (5188 posts) -

What about character additions and similar things? Do those take longer?
Also, will we get a message if something gets rejected? That would be nice.

#34 Posted by greekgoat91 (1 posts) -

If I want to write an entire article on the Wu-Tang Clan. what do I categorize that under?

#35 Posted by ManlyBeast (1153 posts) -

Thanks a lot. Maybe sticky this....

#36 Posted by MichaelScott (193 posts) -

I really like being able to add screenshots. A lot of the game pages are kinda deprived of those, so its really cool. Thanks for the post Snide.

#37 Edited by MichaelScott (193 posts) -

Oops double post. Please delete.

#38 Posted by JamesM (206 posts) -

What happens if someone submits something, then, before it's processed, someone else submits the same or similar? Presumably if the newer is obviously better it will replace the older, and if it's obviously worse it won't, but what if they both have strengths? Will the editors attempt to combine them, or is that beyond their job description? And how will points be handled in such situations? For example, I was reading the Tails article, and I noticed only two games were associated with it. "My my," I thought, "this could do with a little work." I started adding a whole load of stuff (all in one edit, incidentally), only to remember that edits take a while to process. I imagine that's a pretty high-profile page, so perhaps all my contributions had already been submitted. I'm not too bothered about the points thing right now, but it made me think of it, and it would be good to know how it works.

On a tangential note, should we avoid making too many submissions to really obvious articles? I imagine everyone's going for the really big franchises right now. Would it be more constructive to focus on more obscure articles? Or should we not really worry about that?

#39 Posted by UnwiseDolphin (6 posts) -

How do we cancel edits that we submitted, but are still pending (I forgot to add a comment). And also shouldn't forgetting to add a comment be a common reason for edit being rejected?

#40 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -
riverbridge said:
"I'm unsure letting people do live edits when they get 1000 points. That can be abused, but I guess anything can be. But is that the only thing points will be used for?"
If you've got enough approved edits to get 1000 points, I think it's a safe bet that you aren't gonna fuck up stuff.
#41 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -

Good to know.

#42 Edited by WhiteNoob (6 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I broke one of those rules. Sorry... it won't happen again. Thanks for the thread. :)

#43 Posted by MKLOL (71 posts) -

Cool!!! :d

#44 Posted by Caddy (308 posts) -
riverbridge said:
"I'm unsure letting people do live edits when they get 1000 points. That can be abused, but I guess anything can be. But is that the only thing points will be used for?"
1000 points is some serious buisness. At that point, you have submitted A LOT of content and deserve to be able to bypass moderation. And really, anybody that gets over that will be trusted enough to be able to edit freely.
#45 Posted by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -
JamesM said:
"What happens if someone submits something, then, before it's processed, someone else submits the same or similar? Presumably if the newer is obviously better it will replace the older, and if it's obviously worse it won't, but what if they both have strengths? Will the editors attempt to combine them, or is that beyond their job description? And how will points be handled in such situations? For example, I was reading the Tails article, and I noticed only two games were associated with it. "My my," I thought, "this could do with a little work." I started adding a whole load of stuff (all in one edit, incidentally), only to remember that edits take a while to process. I imagine that's a pretty high-profile page, so perhaps all my contributions had already been submitted. I'm not too bothered about the points thing right now, but it made me think of it, and it would be good to know how it works.

On a tangential note, should we avoid making too many submissions to really obvious articles? I imagine everyone's going for the really big franchises right now. Would it be more constructive to focus on more obscure articles? Or should we not really worry about that?
"
I really hope this gets addressed, i just spent an hour on a Bowser page and I really hope it does'n't get disqualified just because they beat me to it.
#46 Posted by Wade_Wilson (29 posts) -

I'm just happy the site is fairly self explanatory.

#47 Posted by spartan168 (7 posts) -

Thanks man :D

#48 Posted by Killuminati (93 posts) -
Richied said:
"Thanks for the FAQ. Answered a few things I was curious about. Still that 1000 points thing seems an age away right now!"
I see some people with 200 points already. If you can get 200 points in one day 1000 doesn't seem like a big deal after all.
#49 Posted by Adrenaline (56 posts) -
PinkElephant said:
"Question: Is there a way to edit the box art? I noticed Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando has the box art for Ratchet & Clank: Locked & Loaded, for example, and couldn't figure out how to submit an edit for that."

Locked & Loaded is the European title of Going Commando.  It's a good idea to make sure your edits are correct before submitting them.
#50 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Yeah 1000 won't be too hard, I already have 20 something and I didn't even really start yet, it is like 3:00AM here in Egypt and I have yet to sleep, so once im awake im going to be pumping out content. :P