#151 Posted by MasterSplinter (636 posts) -

@Silentassassin5k (sorry for not quoting, I didn't want to expand the page anymore)

Vinny said the image queues and wiki queues are different, which is why some content is being uploaded before others. Also the back of the queue is about 58 hours and in Jeff's recent blog post, he mentioned the goal was to reach the 24 hour mark. If you want to read more of Vinny's explanation, you can do so in el_dude's blog post. I guess the gist of it is they are waaay backed up right now, but they are working from back to front so hopefully you 72 hour wiki queues will be approved sooner rather than later.

#152 Posted by Silentassasin5k (22 posts) -
MasterSplinter said:
"@Silentassassin5k (sorry for not quoting, I didn't want to expand the page anymore)

Vinny said the image queues and wiki queues are different, which is why some content is being uploaded before others. Also the back of the queue is about 58 hours and in Jeff's recent blog post, he mentioned the goal was to reach the 24 hour mark. If you want to read more of Vinny's explanation, you can do so in el_dude's blog post. I guess the gist of it is they are waaay backed up right now, but they are working from back to front so hopefully you 72 hour wiki queues will be approved sooner rather than later.
"
Ya I'm fine waiting. As long as the content gets on eventually I am happy :P.
#153 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

I know you guys are really busy, but it's frustrating sometimes when things don't get moderated in the order they are submitted. I spent a lot of time a few nights ago writing something for Bad Company, only to see someone just wrote and got approved something almost identical to mine, just today. Plus, mine was written better ;).

You guys are doing a great job with the site though.

#154 Posted by Orakk (61 posts) -

Wow, thanks for the quick FAQ.

-Orakk

#155 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

Is there a place to report an article that has been ripped right from wiki?
EX. I sent in a nice fix foritthe madden pages (with pictures of the new features) 3 days ago. Today I see they accepted someones info that they copy/pasted from wiki. What's up wh that?

#156 Posted by thefjk (137 posts) -

Nice!

#157 Posted by MaceWisdom (57 posts) -

Yeah perhaps 500 would be nice. But if not, 1000 is fine with me.

#158 Posted by gabha (354 posts) -

Don't know if this question is answered yet as I'm not going through 5 pages but, If someone deletes an edit I made, do I lose points?

#159 Posted by mrsmiley (1042 posts) -

soo... contrary to the link i followed from the FAQ post, i don't see anything about the point system. i'm curious how many points the types of submissions are worth, cuz it seems the points vary.

#160 Posted by Robot_Vampire (49 posts) -

Thanks for the information guys! I've only just started to put up my own information to the site but I am trying to make it as best a quality as I can. 1000 points still seems a long way off though, haha!

#161 Posted by Caddy (308 posts) -
gabha said:
"Don't know if this question is answered yet as I'm not going through 5 pages but, If someone deletes an edit I made, do I lose points?
"
No, you do not lose points.
#162 Posted by playaman64 (16 posts) -

I cant wait until i can finally make live edits

#163 Posted by michaelP4o (12 posts) -

I'm new to the site, and I see plenty of stuff to contribute too, but I was wondering: In the Wiki articles, are you allowed spoilers? And if so, you have to mark them, right?

Thanks.

#164 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Yes, you are allowed to have spoilers. You do not have to mark them, but most users keep them to the Plot Synopsis section.

If people don't want to see spoilers, they should know better than to look at a page that might have spoilers on it.

#166 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

I would like to be a Mod.

#167 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

That's not how it works. ;) This isn't a moderator recruitment thread.

#168 Posted by Drebin_893 (2895 posts) -

We'd love you to be a mod Hardgamer, apart from the fact that you're a fucking moron.

#169 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -
Hardgamer said:
"I would like to be a Mod.
"

#170 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"Hardgamer said:
"I would like to be a Mod.
"

"
Yes.
#171 Posted by Crono (2637 posts) -

Ok I tried to skim through all of these posts and I apologize if I missed it but are there any point milestones after 1,000 points live edits? 

I was reading about box art changes because I want to change one but I read that you must request it in a specified thread OR get 5,000 points.  Does that mean 5,000 is the next milestone that comes with a bunch of new "unlocks" for the site, or are there some in-between 1,000 and 5,000? 

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/editing-tools/820/how-do-i-make-another-pic-the-default-image-for-a-page/231917/#5
If you read the above thread the Moderator, Axersia, specifies the thread to request box art changes and also points out if you obtain 5,000 points you can do it yourself.  So what else, if anything, can you do at 5,000 that you can't at 1,000, and is there anything else in-between or after?

#172 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

5000 points lets you create new pages without moderation.

#173 Edited by jlrm01 (1992 posts) -
Crono said:
"So what else, if anything, can you do at 5,000 that you can't at 1,000, and is there anything else in-between or after?"
In addition to what LordAndrew said, you can also delete images from pages after 5000 points. All that is in the FAQ / Help. After 5000 points, so far, there are no more "privileges" you can gain. There is nothing in-between 1000 and 5000, either.
#174 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

From what I've seen, it may now be possible to remove images if a user has less than 5000 points. They end up in the moderation queue, but I haven't checked to see if it works.

#175 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1865 posts) -

one thing.. ive come across pages where I cant add aliases for Characters or games. what's up with that?

#176 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

You're not supposed to. That field's only for mods and admins. Head over to this thread to request that an alias be added.
You may notice that you can add aliases for objects and concepts. That's because it's a new field for those page types. They probably haven't gotten around to restricting it yet.

#177 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

lol no wikipedia stealing . Half the pages are stolen from wikipedia :)

#178 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

If you find content that you think has been plagiarized from another source, contact a wiki moderator and they'll try to take care of it.

#179 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

How do points work once you're past 1,000? How does it judge how many points to give you on your edits now that they're all live? Is it just based on word count? Also, if you're able to make live edits, should you still leave a comment stating why you're changing such and such - or does that not matter anymore?

#180 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

Points are distributed in the exact same way no matter how many you have. It has to do with how much gets added to the article, not how much is changed. So if the size is the same or less than it was before, you'll only get a single point.
Once you have bypassed moderation, it's not necessary to leave comments, but some people do anyway. If you look at my recent contributions, you can see that I sometimes leave comments, even though I don't need to. I figure it would be useful to people who want to know what kind of edits I'm making, and if they see me doing something they disagree with then they can send me a message about it.

#181 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I see, thanks Andrew. How does it work for people under 1,000 pts then? Who checks their edits before they go live, is it people who are over 5,000 who check over their edits?

#182 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
TripMasterMunky said:
"I see, thanks Andrew. How does it work for people under 1,000 pts then? Who checks their edits before they go live, is it people who are over 5,000 who check over their edits?"
I along with the other wiki mod do so.
#183 Posted by Drebin_893 (2895 posts) -

There are moderators specifically designated to handling the flow of submissions from user's with less than 1000 points. Only those chosen by existing moderators and staff can become one of these people, which only happens rarely.

#184 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
TripMasterMunky said:
"I see, thanks Andrew. How does it work for people under 1,000 pts then? Who checks their edits before they go live, is it people who are over 5,000 who check over their edits?"
We have a dedicated team of Wiki Moderators who look over and either Approve or Deny any and all submissions sent by users under the 1000 point mark. These fine upstanding Moderators slave away at the queue and make sure all edits proposed are dealt with.

Please check out this topic and click the links to the two guides contained inside it. One covers the Wiki aspect of the site and has a list of Wiki Moderators and the other guide covers the general Forum rules and questions aspect of the site while also providing a list of Forum Moderators.

Any questions then do not hesitate to contact a Moderator about them.
#185 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Thanks for all the responses and that link. So since the system gives you points based on how much is added/rather than changed (which overall, works out for the best) - couldn't someone essentially type up a bunch of stuff, submit it, and then keep on deleting it and re-adding it? Is there any way to prevent against this? It seems like someone could abuse the system if it's based mostly around what is added.

Not that I would do this or anything, you can check my top wikis, they're legit lol. I was just wondering how in-depth the system goes for checking submissions like that and such. Whiskey needs to put out another podcast lol, it's interesting to see "what's under the hood."

#186 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

In theory, someone with 1000+ points could post stuff, delete, repost, lather, rinse, repeat, but they would get found out sooner or later. Someone would notice they have insane amounts of points for doing hardly any work. Plus, you have to get to 1000 points before you can do that. Most people who get to 1000 points are serious about editing the wiki, and wouldn't abuse the system like that.

#187 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

People have abused the wiki in the past, and they've been caught. There's a zero-tolerance policy on point gaming, so anyone who does that won't be doing it for very long.

#188 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"In theory, someone with 1000+ points could post stuff, delete, repost, lather, rinse, repeat, but they would get found out sooner or later. Someone would notice they have insane amounts of points for doing hardly any work. Plus, you have to get to 1000 points before you can do that. Most people who get to 1000 points are serious about editing the wiki, and wouldn't abuse the system like that."
True. I personally think the live edit point limit should be raised even a little higher though. I mean...someone could go on a tantrum and start erasing entire pages, right? Lol maybe I'm just thinking way too into this. Alright, thanks for answering all my questions so fast everyone. That's all.

edit - Editing wiki pages is way more fun now with live edits. No waiting or anything like that. If I find a page with a few spelling errors, now I can just quickly fix those instead of just ignoring them (it'd feel kinda useless submitting a whole page just for spelling errors.)
#189 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -
TripMasterMunky said:
"MattyFTM said:
"In theory, someone with 1000+ points could post stuff, delete, repost, lather, rinse, repeat, but they would get found out sooner or later. Someone would notice they have insane amounts of points for doing hardly any work. Plus, you have to get to 1000 points before you can do that. Most people who get to 1000 points are serious about editing the wiki, and wouldn't abuse the system like that."
True. I personally think the live edit point limit should be raised even a little higher though. I mean...someone could go on a tantrum and start erasing entire pages, right? Lol maybe I'm just thinking way too into this. Alright, thanks for answering all my questions so fast everyone. That's all."
And that is why you back up your wiki pages (which I had to learn the hard way).
#190 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

If someone was to go on a page deleting rampage, the staffers have backups for everything. It can all be restored.

#191 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

To put it simply, abuse the live edit privileges we give users and they will quickly be revoked and points reset to zero for the culprits who abuse the system. When it comes to live edit privileges we will quite simply remove a user's ability to edit the wiki for life if they are caught gaming the system. And trust me when I say those Wiki Mods are a tenacious bunch who show no mercy when it comes to people abusing the Wiki.

#192 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"If someone was to go on a page deleting rampage, the staffers have backups for everything. It can all be restored."
That's good to know. I was planning on going through all my submissions and making back-ups for them just incase, but I guess it's not necessary.
#193 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
Disgaeamad said:
"MattyFTM said:
"If someone was to go on a page deleting rampage, the staffers have backups for everything. It can all be restored."
That's good to know. I was planning on going through all my submissions and making back-ups for them just incase, but I guess it's not necessary."
I suggest you do it anyway. There is always the odd chance we lose something on the server side and cannot restore it. No matter what happens I urge everyone to backup their edits, especially if they are lengthy and detailed.
#194 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -
Hamz said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"MattyFTM said:
That's good to know. I was planning on going through all my submissions and making back-ups for them just incase, but I guess it's not necessary."
I suggest you do it anyway. There is always the odd chance we lose something on the server side and cannot restore it. No matter what happens I urge everyone to backup their edits, especially if they are lengthy and detailed."
I have image documentation of the Chrono Trigger page as well as a document. Just so I can know where everything is.
#195 Posted by leky1 (829 posts) -

how do i add pages?

#196 Posted by papercut (3434 posts) -
leky1 said:
how do i add pages?
click Browse, hit create new whatever
#197 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

Hey, when you are looking for users to get a chance of being moderators,  remind and ask me.  I would like to be a moderator to help out.

#198 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" Points are distributed in the exact same way no matter how many you have. It has to do with how much gets added to the article, not how much is changed. So if the size is the same or less than it was before, you'll only get a single point.
That is VERY unfortunate. There is no compensation or reward for being brief and concise. And, presumably, if you took a long-winded and poorly written article and cleaned the hell out of it and managed to reduce it by half and still convey all of the same important content, you would get one point. Even though the work you did (proof reading and editing) is often far more difficult than initially just spewing endless paragraphs onto the wiki.
#199 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
@Branthog said:
" @LordAndrew said:
" Points are distributed in the exact same way no matter how many you have. It has to do with how much gets added to the article, not how much is changed. So if the size is the same or less than it was before, you'll only get a single point.
That is VERY unfortunate. There is no compensation or reward for being brief and concise. And, presumably, if you took a long-winded and poorly written article and cleaned the hell out of it and managed to reduce it by half and still convey all of the same important content, you would get one point. Even though the work you did (proof reading and editing) is often far more difficult than initially just spewing endless paragraphs onto the wiki. "
I agree, I hate it when I fix up a poorly written wiki so it doesn't seem like a 4 year old made it, and I get 1 point. It's lame
#200 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Branthog said:
" @LordAndrew said:
That is VERY unfortunate. There is no compensation or reward for being brief and concise. And, presumably, if you took a long-winded and poorly written article and cleaned the hell out of it and managed to reduce it by half and still convey all of the same important content, you would get one point. Even though the work you did (proof reading and editing) is often far more difficult than initially just spewing endless paragraphs onto the wiki. "
I agree, I hate it when I fix up a poorly written wiki so it doesn't seem like a 4 year old made it, and I get 1 point. It's lame "
There should be an option that you can tag an article with when you submit it that says, essentially, "I have revised/cleaned-up/whatever this article" and that would send it to a live moderator who could review the content and assign points appropriately. As a fan of quality over content, I'd gladly take on the task of helping with that if such a feature were implemented. The problem is that this sort of thing requires that awards be provided on a subjective basis by the moderator rather than just an algorithm saying "was 200 is 400, you get 200 points!". Meh.