How much info is too much info?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Aishan

Alternative title: Should we move some information from the main game-space to the new guide system?

On the Main Space

So, this has been on my mind for a while now, and the launch of the new site design seems like as good a place as any to bring it up. A number of wiki pages for game seem to dig real deep into the mechanics, weapon statistics, move lists, complete lists of magic spells available and other such minutiae. A good example would be the Black Ops II page, which has as it stands, complete data on every single weapon in the multiplayer, details on every single perk and scoresteaks, etc. While having this information available on the wiki is good, would it not be a better idea to save the main game-space for a broader overview of the concepts and moving the details into the guide-space?

As Separate Pages

This is a similar issue, but it's about what exactly deserves it's own character, location or "thing" page on the wiki.

I've been playing Skyrim again recently so this come to mind (and as such I'll be using it as an example here), there are games that have a huge number of NPCs that could easily justify having their own character pages, i.e. they have unique quest-lines, personalities and routines. It's easy to justify characters like Ulfric or Arngeir having their own pages, but do much more minor characters like Narfi (who is involved in two separate quests, for example) need them? There are similar issues with locations, obviously places like Whiterun and Riften need them, but do we need information for each settlement or minor caves and ruins? Where does one draw the line when it comes to this?

So basically, what I am asking is: is there a limit to what we should add or should we dig deep and just add everything and everyone that's in a game?

The way I see it is that the GB wiki will never approach the details of the dedicated sites like the Vault (Fallout) or the UESP (Elder Scrolls) when it comes to pure comprehensive details on every single person, location and item in the games, but it would still be good to have some information here when people are looking for it.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is to your point about the main space. One thing I'd like to see added to the Wiki pages is a table of contents, like in Wikipedia, so you could jump to a specific section on the page. I think that would make the pages with a lot of information more accessible, and makes one not hate the fact that there is a lot of content there. I don't think there should be a cap on the amount of information.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aishan

@cclemon36: Hover over the "Game Wiki" tab and you get a table of contents.

I agree that there shouldn't be a "cap on the amount of information," but I am not advocating removing it entirely, just putting it elsewhere on the wiki where it makes more sense.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aishan: Oh sneaky! Or maybe I'm just blind. Thanks. :)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I was touching up the Super Mario Galaxy 2 page today and came across a section near the end that's just a list of levels. I think that's a great candidate for moving to a guide.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was touching up the Super Mario Galaxy 2 page today and came across a section near the end that's just a list of levels. I think that's a great candidate for moving to a guide.

Yeah, this was exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I made this topic.

Could I get a weigh in from someone on the mod-team/staff on this? Are there any hard-set rules for what belongs where on the game spaces vs. guide spaces? Or should I just be bold and start moving guide-like information over?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I moved a couple of character lists on some pages to the guide.