#1 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

For future reference is there anyway for someone to undo a mistake when they edit a wiki besides the obvious save your work method?

I say this cause after putting much work into the wiki an hour or so of editing and revising I accidently hit Ctrl+X and cut the whole the fucking page off only leaving the already present overview section, which as you can imagine would piss anyone off.And after a hundred attempts of Ctrl+Z/Y I could not recover my work, not a single piece.Which drove me nuts as I did extensive editing on a mostly fresh page.Now I feel inclined to never touch this wiki page again after so much frustration which is a shame as I wanted a more up to date wiki page for the people. Is there some obscure keyboard combination I'm missing?Or is there no hope for my future stupidity?

#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

This should probably be in Editing and Tools.

And as far as I know, there isn't. Hopefully in the redesign.

#3 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

@iAmJohn:Yeah I guess I couldn't decide but I was pretty aggravated and just put it here.I guess someone could put it in Editing & Tools it seems more appropiate.

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

What about Ctrl-V, to paste back what you cut out?

#5 Posted by Slag (4899 posts) -

@Agent47: unfortunately none that I'm aware of. Having done exactly what you did in the past all I can suggest is do your editing in a word processor and when you are done CTrl+v it over to the wiki-editor for pics and formatting.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I've had this happen, too. Unfortunately the best advice seems to be to just save more often. Hopefully the foreshadowed sight redesign will make the editor play nicer.

#7 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

@LordAndrew:Ugh I hope that's not true cause I would feel like a fucking dumbass.I mashed away Ctrl+Z/Y hoping for something, then I blew up in rage.

#8 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I've done this before too, it sucks.....working separately from a word document then copying and pasting it over is a safer way to do it, the formatting will probably be wonky when you paste it over but its fixable.