#1 Edited by egg (1455 posts) -

What should this concept be called? I wrote inaccurate stats, but other names might be better:

• arbitrary stats
  • misleading stats

furthermore, the word "stats" can be "attributes"

What name is best?

The concept is referring to when choosing a character or vehicle (or weapon or equipment) .. the attributes of that character/vehicle/item are displayed, but sometimes they are factually off, sometimes slightly, but other times to the point where they seem to be completely made up. Other times there may be an attribute being rated that cannot be measured in the first place.

What are some games that have this? I know you guys know some..

Titles that definitely have this concept are:

• Pursuit Force
  • Sonic Riders
  • Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
  • Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014
  • F-Zero X (body/boost/grip)
  • F-Zero GX (ditto)
  • Twisted Metal 2 (and possibly other games in the series)
  • Ace Combat series (namely the mobility stat)

other examples that arguably fit the concept:

• Syphon Filter Dark Mirror (weapon power measured on a scale of 1-5.. in roman numerals, and the rating is used across both rapid fire and non-rapid-fire weapons. Furthermore the Flare Gun has the standard max rating of V even though it kills any normal enemy in one hit.)
#2 Posted by Kovie (200 posts) -

The Megaman X games like to assign a Power and Speed rating to each boss, which are completely unquantifiable numbers and often don't reflect the characteristics of the thing in question.

#3 Edited by egg (1455 posts) -

@Kovie said:

The Megaman X games like to assign a Power and Speed rating to each boss, which are completely unquantifiable numbers and often don't reflect the characteristics of the thing in question.

That doesn't count. It's say it's the same as something like displaying the height/weight/age of a character. It's not inferred to mean anything gameplay-wise.

That said I just checked out a youtube clip of Twisted Metal 2 and it does exactly what I was talking about. (rates the specials on a scale of 1-5) It might make a good image for the concept page.

#4 Posted by medacris (649 posts) -

Team Fortress 2. There's a Sherlock Holmes set for Medic that, when worn together, "decreases crime-solving time by 88%." There's no such stat, it's just a joke.

#5 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

@egg said:

@Kovie said:

That doesn't count. It's say it's the same as something like displaying the height/weight/age of a character. It's not inferred to mean anything gameplay-wise.

I disagree? That sounds exactly like what you've suggested.

#6 Edited by egg (1455 posts) -

@dungbootle said:

@egg said:

@Kovie said:

I disagree? That sounds exactly like what you've suggested.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the concept, it's for when a game lists a gameplay attribute for a vehicle (or something other than a vehicle) and effectively lies. (or otherwise misleads)

On second thought... if the power and speed rating for the bosses were displayed in the stage select screen, as you were selecting them, rather than after the game was already over, than yea that would almost definitely count. So in that case I guess you probably do know what I'm talking about, but I still dunno if I agree.

Thing is, since the player already finished the game and already defeated all the bosses, it's.. just.. I dunno, random info, like blood type.

This whole thing though about stage select gave me another idea for arbitrary stats. Difficulty level! You know like in arcade games, like Cruis'n USA, the difficulty of each stage would be displayed. Easy/Med/Hard. Sometimes this is done even for vehicles, possibly in Sega arcade racers. Either of this could apply toward the concept, but it depends.

But in Mega Man X series, no info is displayed, just a pic of the bosses and maybe a pic of the level. Actually I recall only the original Mega Man X having an alternate stage select display where the level pictures went away. but I forgot what it was replaced with.

#7 Posted by Sinusoidal (1424 posts) -

There's a gun in Borderlands 2 called the Fibber whose stats are an outright lie. It has the flavor text "Would I lie to you?"

I guess it's more of a subversion of this concept than a particularly good example.

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Some fighting games do this. Games like Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 and Dead or Alive 5 have stats for the characters but they are serious advice on who to use.

#9 Posted by bobafettjm (1462 posts) -

I seem to recall Midtown Madness (can't remember if it was the first or second) having car stats that seemed way off.

#10 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3229 posts) -

I should look this up but isn't it well established that a majority of the stats in early Final Fantasy games do pretty much nothing at all?