Inquiry about location images

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

This is a PM conversation I had with user Puppy while moderating the image queue.

Private Message started by LordAndrew

• May 17, 2009 - 7:15 a.m.
    This image has about zero identifiable locations, and it seems you want to attach it to two locations. Please explain.

• You can modify your notification preferences by clicking here.

Private Message started by Puppy

First off, anyone who has knowledge of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, or anything Conan for that matter, would be able to identify that as Aquilonia. Each region has a very distinct climate. Second:

No Caption Provided
    Source: http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=frontend.show&func_id=1036&template=inc_images&selected=1036&page=5 (The official website)

The Wild Lands of Zelata are a region in Aquilonia. Ergo, they belong in the Aquilonia page I created. Aquilonia is a nation in the land of Hyboria, ergo it also belongs in the Hyboria page I created.

You should have waited for my response before you deleted it from the Aquilonia page, as did not have the justification for doing so. It's part of the region; simply because you, personally, were unable to identify that does not mean it does not belong there.

I didn't delete anything; it has to be approved before it ever lands on the page. I was asking so that you could post your reasoning on the image and then other people could make the approve/disapprove decision appropriately.

The rules state "In cases where one location encapsulates another, the association should be made to the more specific location. For example, Resident Evil 2 would be attached to the Raccoon City page, rather than the Earth page." I consider images the same way. If the Wild Lands of Zelata are in Aquilonia, that's irrelevant. You should attach it to the most specific page, which would be Zelata in this case.

I haven't made a Wild Lands of Zelata page.

And maybe you shouldn't "consider images" like that. Because this is like saying images of Iron Forge don't belong on both Iron Forge and Azeroth pages. I hope the World of Warcraft analogy isn't lost on you.

No, Azeroth's gallery should not contain every single image of every location in Azeroth.

I consider it should. Is there anything in the rules that suggests otherwise?

Is there a rule pertaining to this situation? If not, then how do you guys figure it should be handled?
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

Like usual there are no rules for this I am afraid.

The way I see it is that when you click on a random image you should be able to figure out where it is from and what it is by looking at the pages it is linked to. A screenshots from inside a house in a game i would link it to the location page of that house, the location page of the village of that house and the world of the game.

But I guess since the the location page of the house is included in the village and the village is included in the world that a picture this screenshot could only be attached to the house and a screenshots that shows the streets of the village would only be linked to the village. This is a bit better then what I initially thought would be the best idea thinking of it.

All the screenshots should be linked from the screenshots section of the game not just added to the location pages seperatly by the way.

edit: The ideal solution for this is having folder based image galleries, perhaps one day the site will have such a thing. Untill then i opt that we keep specific location images in their specific location page. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

First of all I'd like to remind you that the image moderation queue is for everyone to use. No single user has authority over any other when it comes to such things, keep that in mind when approaching another user about their image uploads. Infact contacting a Wiki Moderator about such things instead of approaching users directly is the better thing to do. It is the Wiki Moderators job to make final decisions on such things, approaching a user and confronting them about it directly is considered bad form.

Second of all having some experience with Age of Conan I'd say the image deserves to be in the actual Age of Conan page, Hyboria page and Aquilonia page. And if a specific page for the Wild Lands is created then add it in there too. All these pages are interconnected and the image itself has strong connection to Zelata which is a province in Aquilonia which in turn is a nation within the land of Hyboria which in turn is a location within the game Age of Conan.

At the very least it should be in Aquilonia's gallery and Zelata's as well. Zelata is apart of Aquilonia and it would make sense to have an image showing off what Zelata looks like within the Aquilonian page.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm well aware that no user has authority. I initially posted the comment on the image, and also added a comment containing his response so that other users could read it and hopefully weigh in on the matter. It was not my intent to "approach the user directly", it was merely a result of the comment notification system. I will sometimes request additional information when moderating images, because it's not always clear to me why a user wants to perform a certain action. There was no "confrontation" intended.

I am aware that there is indeed no rule about this, which is why I came here instead of trying to force my interpretation on the user.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Puppy
    "which is why I came here instead of trying to force my interpretation on the user."

Isn't that what you did, though? xD
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Perhaps, but it was not my intent.