Inside jokes on the game pages: yea or nay?

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Going through Snide's amazing Bio the other day, I noticed a link to the "amazing" game Johnny Moseley's  Mad Trix. Rather than include an informative and helpful blurb, the text describing the game referenced a particularly beloved inside joke from the Gamespot days.
In my own attempt to add a good inside joke to the various pages, I manage to find the Charlie's Angels page, where I added a notable line from friend of the site Alex Navarro's savage video reivew. Does the addition of the joke cross the line and defeat the purpose of Giant Bomb as an information, factual databade? I just want to know how much "fun-ing" is permitted on the game pages, and whether I should keep it up or stop imediatly.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Psynapse

At the end of the day its a wiki, its what the users want to have as the information.

I'd personally keep it relevent. If it really sucks and someone has better information to put up there they will go ahead and do it. So if you want to put it up there, you can only try :).

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0

I would say keep it, but that means the board it's on would be filled with the same question "What does ____ mean?" or "I don't get that ____ part, what is it from?"

And people would reply like "You had to be there"

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By rateoforange

I'd say no on inside jokes. Using inside jokes in public is low class; they tend to alienate people.

Colino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Colino
rateoforange said:
"I'd say no on inside jokes. Using inside jokes in public is low class; they tend to alienate people.
"
I agree, it's just not fit.

Just open a "Trivia" or "Curiosities" section on the full article and mention it there, possibly with a nice explanation to it. I know it's way to Wikipedia, but you gotta do it or you don't put the joke in at all.