Is it ok to update a wiki based on an emulator?

RRuggi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I got an emulator and I saw a Wiki of a game that I know its incomplete, can I with the information that I have in the emulator update the wiki? In other words, are there any regulations based on which type of information can be based on emulators to update the wiki or something?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

The wiki describes games as they exist only on the platforms where they were officially released. So only if all aspects of the game pertinent to wiki discussion are the same on the emulator as on original hardware can you base wiki info on what you played in an emulated version. If there are some things about the game that you're not sure are the same, then you should do additional research to be sure that everything you write is accurate of the game on its official platforms.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#3  Edited By sammo21

Like @savage said, as long as the information your editing/adding is relevant and accurate to the original product then its fine and not really anything that a reader would/should know about.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

To give you an idea, you can say "This game has 8 levels" but you cant say "The Shadows on this game flicker in and out" without seeing the original game.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

One interesting follow up question is that can emulator screen shot be categorized as a "normal screen shot"? I have seen some PS1 screenshots on the wiki that have anti aliasing that PS1 games never had.