New platform - Roku?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

So I tried sending @jeff a message about adding the Roku platform to the wiki but never got a response. What does everyone think of Roku being added as a platform? There seems to be quite a few games on there, including some higher profile ones.

With the Roku 3 there are even motion controls.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

lol, good one.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Not_Rage

I don't see why not. It has games like Angry Birds and game shows games like You Don't Know Jack. I'm always in favor for adding more platforms. I think the GB database should be as complete as possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

id rather them give the actual video app more attention because its seriously not what id hoped when i first got a roku. but whenever its brought up in passing it seems like they just care about the platform at all be of such a low amount of users, myself included, actually use it.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#5  Edited By bobafettjm

Regardless of how good the platform is, it does have mainstream games on it so I think it should probably be added to the wiki.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Does it have any exclusive games? As far as I'm concerned it's just an android device, it'd be like opening the gates to every single emulator out there.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Does it have any exclusive games? As far as I'm concerned it's just an android device, it'd be like opening the gates to every single emulator out there.

Essentially this is my same problem. Most of those games exist somewhere else.

Even mobile platforms didn't exist on GB until it was obvious tablet/smartphone gaming was here to stay and not a 5 year fad. So I doubt the Roku has a real chance to have a significant place on the wiki.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@kidavenger said:

As far as I'm concerned it's just an android device

Actually, I think Roku runs on its own flavor of Linux and not specifically Android. The OS is kinda irrelevant though - I mean the Ouya for some reason has a page, and that thing is basically just an Android box. I'm not saying that necessarily means the Roku should have a spot, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world if it did.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, I agree that it's information that's irrelevant to the wiki, and that it falls into a grey area of devices that doesn't belong on the site (see: SmartTVs, etc). Maybe one day the wiki will be at a stage where it makes sense to mention the roku under the Android platform page, or something else, who knows - but right now,and most likely for the foreseeable future it makes no sense.

If you add one device from that grey area of unproven, presently irrelevant devices, you are conceptually obligated to add them all. And what a silly mess that would be.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

Yeah, just because something runs games, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's significant enough to go in the wiki. Looking at the Roku games list, it's basically a few flavors of Angry Birds, a few other semi-recognizable mobile games, and then ~50 homebrew junk games (reversi, solitaire, checkers, majong, etc.)

Similarly, there are games that run on a Kindle (the e-reader, not the tablet), but I don't think it needs a spot in the wiki.