Not understanding the rejection...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By JackiJinx

I just got rejected for adding features to the Tetris page and here's what the rejection said:

"Thank you for the submission, but this content appears to have been lifted from a GameSpot review."

And here's the note I wrote with the submission:

"Adds the titles History and the section Features to the main article. The Features comes from a review I wrote last year."

I realize that I can automatically edit the article myself, but I figured I'd get some clarity here first-hand before I go doing that. A moderator just not read my comment?

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By breton

If it's actually your work, use it. What the deal was with the mod? *shrug*

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

You're submission would have been rejected because a search found that the edit was lifted or copied from another source on the internet. Even if you copy and paste some information you wrote on another website to GiantBomb its still going to get rejected. We want users to come up with original submissions and not copy, plaguerise or re-use reviews or information they've posted on another website.

In the future try to rewrite articles for games instead of copying them from websites you've written for in the past.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JackiJinx

But it is original. It's my writing. Would it be fine if I just remove my review from GameSpot?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hamz
JackiJinx said:
"But it is original. It's my writing. Would it be fine if I just remove my review from GameSpot?
"
That still doesn't make any difference i'm afraid. I suggest you try and rewrite you're article again for GiantBomb, take some time and change or improve you'r style so its different to what you have posted on Gamespot.
MrMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrMC

if you removed it you'd probably be good but they don't know for sure that you wrote that feature on gamespot so they think you might be plagiarizing it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz
MrMC said:
"if you removed it you'd probably be good but they don't know for sure that you wrote that feature on gamespot so they think you might be plagiarizing it.
"
Assuming he could remove it from Gamespot there is a lot of copywright issues and the fact we have no clear way to prove that it is indeed his writing. So no removing it from Gamespot will not get it accepted. As i've stated, take some time to rewrite the article, it isn't that hard ;)
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JackiJinx

I'm a woman, just to correct you.

In any case, I can understand the copywright issues, but the originality part I can not. If I had written that review 10 years ago, never published it, and stored it in the meantime until I decided to add some of that material onto this site, would that be considered an unacceptable entry? I do not think so. And yes, it is hard to rewrite something that I've already wrote. Not impossible granted, but it's hard, for me at the least.

Edit: Just deleted the review from GS, but it's still showing up on Google's cache. Oh well.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hamz
JackiJinx said:
"I'm a woman, just to correct you.

In any case, I can understand the copywright issues, but the originality part I can not. If I had written that review 10 years ago, never published it, and stored it in the meantime until I decided to add some of that material onto this site, would that be considered an unacceptable entry? I do not think so. And yes, it is hard to rewrite something that I've already wrote. Not impossible granted, but it's hard, for me at the least.

Edit: Just deleted the review from GS, but it's still showing up on Google's cache. Oh well.
"
Sorry to assume to you were a man :)

Had you written a review years ago and never published or uploaded it onto another website or source on the internet then yes it would be acceptable assuming the information was correct etc. However because its been uploaded to Gamespot it is essentially sourced back to that website and we only have you're word to take saying that the Gamespot version is you're own work. I understand its not the answer you wanted to hear and that it probably will be difficult to rewrite something you've already taken time to write but i'm afraid thats the way submissions work.

We want original content from users that hasn't been used anywhere else on the internet. With that stated i think you understand now why you're submission was rejected, any more questions then please PM me or another moderator and we'll be happy to help. I'm going to lock this topic now since you've found out the answer you need to know regarding you're rejected submission.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Brad

As Hamz mentioned, we unfortunately have no way to verify that a person claiming to be the original author of submitted material is in fact that person. It's not that we don't trust you, but you can certainly see the potential for abuse if we took all claims of authorship at face value.