LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

Edited By LordAndrew

Some notes on the new search:

• Can click "options" to filter by page type.
  • Typing a new search term hides the previous results while the new results load.
  • The first time you click anywhere in the options box all the options clear. This means that unchecking a single checkbox unchecks all execpt that one. This is not what I expect, and probably not what anyone else expects.
  • The dedicated search page (/search/) does not work. To search you must wait for the JavaScript to load and use the Ajax-based search.
  • Perfect matches float to the top.
  • Typing a second word requires a full word match for all previous words. "leg zel" and "zel leg" no longer match The Legend of Zelda. "legend zel" and "zelda leg" will.
  • Aliases containing words already in the title result in odd results. Searching "time" causes Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel to appear as the tenth result as an alias match, even though it would have matched without the alias and is not popular enough for tenth place.
  • ADDENDUM: Unchecking all has the same result as checking all: everything is searched.
  • ADDENDUM: Changing search options does not cause it to search again with the new options. The search string must be changed to search again. Simply adding a space will do the job.
  • ADDENDUM: There is more than one page of results. (This should be obvious, but is still worth mentioning)
  • ADDENDUM: Clicking "See next/previous 10 results" causes the results to disappear. Clicking the search box will bring the results back. This may only happen in some browsers. I have not tested it extensively.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

Some notes on the new search:

• Can click "options" to filter by page type.
  • Typing a new search term hides the previous results while the new results load.
  • The first time you click anywhere in the options box all the options clear. This means that unchecking a single checkbox unchecks all execpt that one. This is not what I expect, and probably not what anyone else expects.
  • The dedicated search page (/search/) does not work. To search you must wait for the JavaScript to load and use the Ajax-based search.
  • Perfect matches float to the top.
  • Typing a second word requires a full word match for all previous words. "leg zel" and "zel leg" no longer match The Legend of Zelda. "legend zel" and "zelda leg" will.
  • Aliases containing words already in the title result in odd results. Searching "time" causes Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel to appear as the tenth result as an alias match, even though it would have matched without the alias and is not popular enough for tenth place.
  • ADDENDUM: Unchecking all has the same result as checking all: everything is searched.
  • ADDENDUM: Changing search options does not cause it to search again with the new options. The search string must be changed to search again. Simply adding a space will do the job.
  • ADDENDUM: There is more than one page of results. (This should be obvious, but is still worth mentioning)
  • ADDENDUM: Clicking "See next/previous 10 results" causes the results to disappear. Clicking the search box will bring the results back. This may only happen in some browsers. I have not tested it extensively.
ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By ToxicAntidote

Yeah, that feature is really useful. Finally it lands on the bomb.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

i'm so glad we can search users now. 

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Finally a better search.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By mracoon

This will make searching a hell of a lot easier.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xMP44x

Excellent. Searching is now no longer a chore. Now, to search more, and make use of it.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Endogene

Looks like to search by preference you will have to change the preferences and then retype what you are searching for. By simply clicking what I typed before it gave me the same list. 

When searching something that gives say 18 matches when clicking "next 10 results" and the remaining 8 show the "show previous 10 results" button does not show up.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
@Endogene: Simply adding a space causes it to perform the search again. You don't have to retype it. I'll add that to my notes.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

SEARCHING! It works again!

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By snide

Forum search now works as well, it's got some new stuff :) 

Now leave me alone Claude.

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Seraphim84

Sorta wish there was a way to save the options you wanna look for...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Claude
@snide said:
" Forum search now works as well, it's got some new stuff :)  Now leave me alone Claude. "
Who... me?

I love you long time now.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Hamz
@snide: I'll name my first kid after you <3
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
@snide said:
" Forum search now works as well, it's got some new stuff :)

Now leave me alone Claude. "
Whoa, it sure does. And now we'll be bugging you about creating an awesome advanced search for the rest of the stuff on the site. :P
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By snide
@LordAndrew: It's at least a possibility now! First, gotta get it out to the other sites.
risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By risseless

Awesome. Love the new search. Thanks, Dave!

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By gpbmike
@risseless said:
" Awesome. Love the new search. Thanks, Dave! "
You mean, "thanks @andy"!
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
@gpbmike: Whenever we don't know who to credit/blame, we just credit/blame Dave. It's easier that way.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By snide
@gpbmike: Actually, he means thanks Mike and Dave. 

My only role in this project was bitching for 6 months.
risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By risseless

Heh, my apologies then. Thanks to Mike and Dave and Andy! =)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

Wait, what did I miss? 

*EDIT*  OH HOLY FUCK!!!  WOWZA!!!  Very nice!!! 

Now, can we get a basic search function on the actual Users' page...which at the moment is not showing anyone under "Alphabetical"? 

Regardless, very bad ass stuff, guys!!!  Greatly appreciated.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By zero_

Not impressed. Search runtime complexity appears to be greater than O(1).

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#23  Edited By JackiJinx

Thanks for the search engine, Whiskey crew!

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By KamasamaK

Fantastic. This addresses my biggest/longest complaint for the site. I'll have to come up with some more after using it for a while.

buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By buhssuht

just like at screened.com

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

When trying to add the GB search to the browser search bar plugin thing, I get this message. Haven't tried other browsers.

Firefox could not download the search plugin from:
http://www.giantbomb.com/opensearch.xml

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@snide:@gpbmike:  Are you guys aware that the search no longer finds accented characters when searching for their unaccented counterparts? E.g. searching for "Pokemon" no longer finds pages with "Pokémon" in the title.

Are you planning on fixing this on your end, or is it going to be up to me and the other mods to add aliases to all those pages to make them easily searchable again?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew
@buhssuht said:
" just like at screened.com "
In fact these notes were based primarily on my experience with the Screened search. Everything before the first addendum was actually written while Giant Bomb was down. And as it turned out, all my points remained true when the feature was deployed on Giant Bomb.

@MrKlorox said:
" When trying to add the GB search to the browser search bar plugin thing, I get this message. Haven't tried other browsers.

Firefox could not download the search plugin from:
http://www.giantbomb.com/opensearch.xml

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729) "
This does not surprise me. It's not just the front end that changed, but apparently the back end as well. The way results are retrieved has changed. And as noted in my fourth point, the search page no longer works. That's a key component of OpenSearch. Even if search suggestions and everything else worked, you wouldn't actually be able to see the results of the search. Hopefully this is only temporary, as that search page is of great importance.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By KamasamaK
@MattyFTM said:
" Are you guys aware that the search no longer finds accented characters when searching for their unaccented counterparts? E.g. searching for "Pokemon" no longer finds pages with "Pokémon" in the title.  Are you planning on fixing this on your end, or is it going to be up to me and the other mods to add aliases to all those pages to make them easily searchable again? "
No longer? I thought aliases were needed before as well. I guess it would be nice to have that fixed regardless.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By wefwefasdf

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Claude

The forum search could be better. The old search would look for key words in the forum topic or in its comment history. I'm not sure what this new search does, but I'm not getting any of that. 

For instance, if I looked up Santa Hats on the old forum search, I would get a huge amount of information. The word Santa Hat would be highlighted and give me many options when searched, forum posts and comments. Now, it seems limited. I get what I get and that's it. I have no more options.

Basically, I can't find that thread and the search feature can't take me there. I still feel limited. But of course, maybe I'm anal and need to get a life beyond the history of the forums of GiantBomb.

Shit, did I just answer my own question?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LordAndrew
@Kamasama said:
" No longer? I thought aliases were needed before as well. I guess it would be nice to have that fixed regardless. "
Not always. There was a point when "Okami" could find Ōkami without the need for an alias. At some point, that stopped working an an alias had to be added to the page. Searching for things like "Pokemon" continued to work fine though. If there's no longer any auto-aliasing for diacritics, that could really hinder the search.