Upon examining the Wiki Queue for the last week or so I have noticed that the Giant Bomb Wiki editing community is a little confused on what to title wiki entries for games that come from Japan. As such after corresponding with the staff I have create these rules, which the staff have agreed upon as appropriate, as a guide for the Giant Bomb database:
- The title on the American box (if there has been a US release) should be the title for the wiki entry. The game titles and release date information should be for the American audience.
- NEVER use Kanji for the game title or on release information. Even on Japanese only releases.
- If there is an accepted English translation via the publisher then go with that and add the Kanji name as an alias.
- If there is not an English translation via the publisher then go with a Romanized title and have the Kanji name as an alias.
- DO NOT use fan translations for wiki titles. They can be added as aliases if appropriate.
I and the staff realize that there are many wiki entries which are currently in violation with these rules. No users will be punished for this. However editing Wiki titles and release information to comply with these rules and new style guide would be greatly appreciated. These rules are open to debate and improvement on any flaws is happily welcomed.