This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

Hey all -

I'm seeing quite a lot of pages with HUGE coverage of achievements in poorly built tables. Please stop doing this as it not only clutters up the pages but often times breaks them as well. We will add an official achievements section to game pages in the next couple weeks so please hold off on these lists for now.

The same goes for cheats or guides. Both will be covered in separate pages under a game page, not within the body of the article itself. Thanks all.
#2 Posted by Geraphobia (4 posts) -

Does this mean you'd like us to delete any achievement tables we run across?

#3 Posted by Mo0 (64 posts) -

Glad to see an actual section going up on this; the inconsistency amongst tables was starting to get a bit grating. =o

#4 Edited by Daniel (1523 posts) -

Good to know, I'll be sure to let anyone who submits achievements know this. Thanks dude.

#5 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Yes, and we'll automatically check and remove these on edit in the next code push. We're working on a fix right now that will remove any pasted HTML coming from copying from another site.

#6 Posted by Daniel (1523 posts) -

Sounds good.

#7 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Good to know

#8 Posted by pyromaniac (1703 posts) -

k cool..cause I was just thinking that it seemed like a quick fix to get some points

#9 Posted by HoldSteady828 (165 posts) -

Jeff had a suggestion that things like guides would be helpful in the game's forum for the meantime.  Perhaps achievement tables fall under this umbrella?

#10 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Yeah, "coming soon"

#11 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

K, great. Thanks 4 info

#12 Posted by SoulEdgeSlayer (534 posts) -

Awesome.  I was wondering about this.

#13 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I've seen several pages with Achievement sections... why were they approved if you don't want them? o.O

#14 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
FuzzYLemoN said:
"I've seen several pages with Achievement sections... why were they approved if you don't want them? o.O
"
They were all done by an over-enthusiastic 1000+ point user.
#15 Posted by Carmel_Chewy (323 posts) -
FuzzYLemoN said:
"I've seen several pages with Achievement sections... why were they approved if you don't want them? o.O
"
Because not everyone has to be approved.
#16 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

Sounds great. You guys really seem to be on the ball.

#17 Edited by joslop500 (203 posts) -

Great to know.

#18 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

What about pages where the achievements net in-game rewards? For example, in Mass Effect, certain achievements net you in-game rewards such as EXP bonuses and health boosts. Is that relevant enough to go on the ME page, or should it go somewhere else?

#19 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

Ah nice work, good to see you guys are working on clearing abit of the clutter, was starting to worry me that it would get out of hand :) Keep up the good work guys!

#20 Posted by AuthenticM (3710 posts) -

Will you guys do the same for trophies?

#21 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
AuthenticM said:
"Will you guys do the same for trophies?
"

They better. :P
#22 Posted by lordofultima (6234 posts) -

Well I'd imagine so. We've been getting a lot of submissions with achievements clearly pasted from sites, JPEG's and all.

#23 Posted by Falconer (1683 posts) -
snide said:
"FuzzYLemoN said:
"
They were all done by an over-enthusiastic 1000+ point user."
Nope. Some people have gotten over 1000 points because of these. Someone was approving them.
#24 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Sorry :( A lot of that was probably me. Can't wait until that official page is added. Much less clutterful... is that a word?

#25 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -

Should sort out a lot of problems with messy pages.

#26 Edited by FelixLighter (206 posts) -
Lies said:
"What about pages where the achievements net in-game rewards? For example, in Mass Effect, certain achievements net you in-game rewards such as EXP bonuses and health boosts. Is that relevant enough to go on the ME page, or should it go somewhere else?
"
I don't think it's an issue of relevance; it's an issue with the page formatting.  Someone is just copying the HTML tables from another site and pasting it into body of the article, which is apparently wreaking havoc with the page formatting.
#27 Posted by ethan (776 posts) -

HTML Tables can no longer be saved into the wiki. 

#28 Posted by Xelloss (213 posts) -

Thanks, I think achievements should have there own menu on the left.

#29 Posted by Derios (423 posts) -

cool.

#30 Edited by MrMiyamoto (1272 posts) -
snide said:
" any pasted HTML coming from copying from another site."
How about no on that one...
I need my gifs from Tinypic...
EDIT: Oh, so you mean just for the wiki?
#31 Posted by mrsmiley (1095 posts) -

i was wondering about this myself. good to hear it's getting taken care of.

#32 Posted by nakratz (107 posts) -

I added the achievements for the pyro page but I just added the images and typed out everything by hand not using any type of tabling system or copy and pasting. Are you talking about the achievement section that uses tables or all achievement sections. That was also a request that I wanted to make was the ability to use tables inside the wiki pages so that I could change the list of 38 achievements into a double list of 19 to shorten up the page. As a suggestion of a achievement section I would like to see it where the editor has the ability to add achievements to the page just like the release section. When adding achievements there should be a place to put a picture of the achievement, a textbox for the name and a text box for how to get the achievement the way the game has it listed. Then some how on the wiki page it would be formated nicely at the bottom kind of like how on the companies page it shows their developed games and published games.

#33 Posted by Zaapp1 (658 posts) -

What about the dudes (like me) who didn't copy/paste anything and typed all 47 achievements of a game(s) by hand?

#34 Posted by Caddy (308 posts) -

OK. I will make sure to edit out any if I see any ones before they all get wiped out :p

#35 Posted by tanline (165 posts) -

hopefully the achievements section is also for trophies as well

#36 Posted by Aaron_G (1612 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up. 

#37 Posted by Tolkienfanatic (99 posts) -

Duly noted and omitted.

#38 Posted by Xymox (2082 posts) -

Great timing.
I just saw the medic achievements (team fortress 2) a few days ago on the site and was about to show a friend the meaning of the "Ubi Concordia, Ibi Victoria" achievement. Where did I go? Back to giant bomb dot com of course. Where that achievement at? Nowhere. Had to do a google. :P

Anyway, looking forward to achievement pages. Maybe tie in with our steam accounts and xbox accounts? Yeah? Maybe?
So we can totally see what bombers have some crazy achievements and stuff.
Hint, hint.

#39 Posted by Blitzer (391 posts) -

Are the people that got tons of points by doing that going to have them removed?

#40 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

sounds like a plan... can't wait for the addition

#41 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -

OH!

I was wondering why the two Achievement lists I made were rejected.

I know know, thanks : )

#42 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -

Yeah it would be cool to have achievement stuff on another page (tab) or something other than the main game page.

#43 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -

Lets say someone didn't C&P; the achieves from another site but manually wrote them down. Would you call a foul on that?

#44 Edited by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -
hungrynun said:
"Lets say someone didn't C&P; the achieves from another site but manually wrote them down. Would you call a foul on that?"
I don't see how there's much room for change. Every achievement has set names, set descriptions and set gamerscore so there isn't really a difference.

The only thing that's really being changed is the layout.
#45 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

You should also add a downloads section. Like for patches, demos, and essential files that one would need for a certain game.

#46 Posted by Hexproof (177 posts) -

Damn I just submitted the full achievements to a game. ._.

#47 Posted by lynchtastic (10 posts) -

I agree with Xelloss, achievements should have their own section or subpage

#48 Posted by AvD (288 posts) -

Sounds good... wish I read this before attempting to post achievements to some pages though.

#49 Posted by FoolInjection (206 posts) -

Ahhh shit... I feel bad now... I just added achievements to some pages I had been working on... 

Think I'll go delete those bits now.
#50 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

So... when's this all coming?