Question for the Mods and Staff. Same/Different Characters

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Demilich

What's the view on adding multiple characters where spoilers reveal they are the same person? Or sort of 'two in one' characters, like Liquid Ocelot. We have Liquid Snake and Revolver Ocelot, but for the sake of spoilers and references, what would you link to 'Liquid Ocelot'?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Axersia

Since this is an encyclopedia, you don't have to take spoilers into consideration. Otherwise there will be a lot of stuff you won't be able to link. So Just link whatever you want.

Personally, I've been adding characters with multiple identities under the name they're best known/spend most of their time as, and adding their other name(s) in the alias field (which is currently unwriteable for users other than the staff).

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Demilich

It's a little difficult to explain what I mean now, so I'll just give an example. For illustrations sake, I don't suggest anyone reads unless they want STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl spoiled for them.

There are two characters in the game, Marked One and Strelok. It isn't until the end that you find out they are the same person. Would you add both or just one and include that major spoiler in the blurb? While I agree that a Wiki shouldn't bother with hiding spoilers, that isn't exactly minor and no player would appreciate something that blatant.

Personally I'd opt to keep them separate for the sake of references and spoilers.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I don't think putting a major spoiler in the blurb of a game is a good idea.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demilich

Neither do I (In fact, that's how I learned of said spoiler, but besides the point). But therein lies the problem;

Where do you draw the line between keeping the site spoiler free, and information rich?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

I think people should expect to read spoilers in certain areas of the Wiki...like in the main article of a game, for instance.  Clearly the story is going to be discussed there.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

Well, this character from the Kingdom Hearts series has his 2 identities listed under the same page, and even the blurb says so. The same goes for thischaracter from Tales of Symphonia. In fact, his name alone is a spoiler.

Personally, I really don't care about spoilers, and I'm going to continue adding characters with multiple identities under the same page until there's some rule that states I shouldn't. Wikipedia does it too, and I've been using Wikipedia for quite a while longer than GB, so I'm used to this already. If you don't want to be spoiled, you don't look up detailed information on a game.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Demilich

Demilich said:
"Where do you draw the line between keeping the site spoiler free, and information rich?"

This still stands. I agree with you about keeping this site an Encyclopedia first and foremost over spoilers, but there has to be a line. See below quotes.

Axersia said:
"you don't have to take spoilers into consideration."
MB said:
"I don't think putting a major spoiler in the blurb of a game is a good idea."
Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Justin_Case

Certain areas such as characters are inevitable. Having a secret identity/alter-ego should be explained on their respective pages since it is likely a major part of their role in the story.

That said, pages for games themselves should only contain (If able) a brief synopsis of the plot and setting. A good example of this is Metal Gear Solid. While Solid Snake's and Liquid Ocelot's pages may contain sensitive information regarding their stories throughout the series, the more visible parts like decks should remain neutral.

In short, while there should be some consideration in the context of not making pages unneccesarily long, it shouldn't be avoided for the sake of spoilers. If you come to any database of information you should expect to read some degree of the story if you go the pages of those games. It isn't anyone's responsibility but your own.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By thebeast

We certainly need somewhere to draw a line, although we should probably prioritise being as complete as possible over attempting to 'hide' spoilers.
I propose the following (May be SPOILERS):

• A character who's real name is not revealed until later in the game where this revealment is not a significant part of the plot should be listed under their full, revealed name, with their nicknames as alias'. See Garnet Til Alexandros XVII.
  • Character's which are continually referred to by their nickname throughout a franchise with their real name only being exposed as part of game lore or trivial information found in the games should be listed by their nickname. See Solid Snake.
  • In the case of Strelok, a character page should not exist for them as they are not a 'real' character. The true identity of the Marked One may be revealed in their own article if marked as being a spoiler, or as an alias - this point needs discussion.
  • Plot spoilers can be listed under a Story heading or in a pargraph clearly marked as a spoiler. Anyone reading the 'Story' section of a game or character should be expecting to read spoilers.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Axersia
Demilich said:
Axersia said:
MB said:
Well, we're different individuals, thus we can have different opinions, even if we're both mods.

There are currently no set rules about spoilers.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demilich
"Certain areas such as characters are inevitable"

Only inevitable if you insist on having the entire plot mapped out, which you mention should only contain a "brief synopsis".

In my example would you openly mention Strelok and Marked One are the same person, hide it within spoiler warnings or not divulge something that major at all? What you're saying it it's inevitable but not required. That isn't what the publisher would put on the back of the box (a brief synopsis), but it is a major part of the story.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Demilich
Axersia said:
"Demilich said:
Axersia said:
MB said:
Well, we're different individuals, thus we can have different opinions, even if we're both mods.

There are currently no set rules about spoilers."
Exactly my point. We need some or I'm just going to do what I think is right. Which is hide major spoilers, unless it's 'Sephiroth kills Aeris'.
Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin_Case
Demilich said:
""Certain areas such as characters are inevitable"

Only inevitable if you insist on having the entire plot mapped out, which you mention should only contain a "brief synopsis".

In my example would you openly mention Strelok and Marked One are the same person, hide it within spoiler warnings or not divulge something that major at all? What you're saying it it's inevitable but not required. That isn't what the publisher would put on the back of the box (a brief synopsis), but it is a major part of the story."
I'm afraid you quoted that section of my post wrong and I urge you to reread the sentence in question.

While game pages should discuss primarily the game, thus not in need of a lengthy article on the story, Character pages differ in this because their sole existence is to serve as a portal for that character alone. Characters often have a major story role and thus that is not to be left out. If an individual visits the Solid Snake page they should expect, willingly or not, to read the biography and description of Solid Snake as a character in the Metal Gear Solid universe. However, as long as they have not chosen to visit that page, they should not read unnecessary information regarding this. Otherwise known as the deck.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich

That information is about the characters and game so it would be appropriate on either page. But that's beside the point.

There isn't an actual rule regarding how spoilers are dealt with, just preconceived notions and assumptions based off of similar sites like Wikipedia. Until then I guess we just make do.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By thebeast

In trying to make things as comprehensive as possible, plot spoilers are going to be in articles, there's no reason to prevent that.

• In a franchise article, the Plot section might list the overarching story of that franchise. "In 'Amazing Game 3', Bob kills Jerry with a snowman." should be expected here. A 'Brief Plot' section could also be provided which has no spoilers.
  • In a game's article, a Story section will most likely exist, "Jeremy actually turns out to be a woman and ends up marrying Robert." will and probably should exist here. Again a 'Brief Story' could be provided.
  • A character's article will have a section on the general idea behind the character, and if their story is important on its own (not covered by the game/franchise story), will also be present.

Anyway, in summary, a plot/story section should be as comprehensive as possible, including spoilers. A user can optionally write a 'Brief Plot' which provides a simpler, spoiler-free section for users' who are interested in researching before they play a game.
You shouldn't go out of your way to remove or hide spoilers, but moving them to a Plot/Story section and providing alternative reading for those not wanting to read spoilers is perfectly fine and should probably be encouraged.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Giantkitty

Well part of the "responsibility" lies within the person looking up the database. If I buy a game, I can play it through without looking up anything, or look online for more information. If I look something up, I understand there will be spoilers, etc., especially if I look at an encyclopedic database. Someone could make all the entries extremely vague and not reveal anything, but who wants to go online and read what's probably already on the back of the box? I haven't seen any posts like "I came here and now you ruined the plot of..." I think 99% of the people are savvy enough to get what they want or don't want.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By brukaoru

As others have said, I believe people should expect spoilers when reading about the plot of a game and in character pages. If people want to avoid spoilers, why would they bother going to the wiki pages at all?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demilich

You can expect spoilers in the plot section of an article sure, but I'm focusing more on blurbs, and anywhere the information might be relative (other than the plot summary). I say keep it in the summary with markings, and keep out vital information all together, until that game has aged a bit.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mike

Since we're talking about spoilers, this discussion brings to mind another question.  What are we going to do about people putting clearly visible spoilers for upcoming releases right in the blurb or body of the main article?  I think we definitely have to worry about that sort of thing, and some clearly defined rules are needed.

Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin_Case
Demilich said:
"You can expect spoilers in the plot section of an article sure, but I'm focusing more on blurbs, and anywhere the information might be relative. I say keep it in the plot summary with markings, and keep out vital information all together, until that game has aged a bit."
Exactly the only point I was making.

Like TheBeast stated, there should not be avoidance of spoilers in articles. However in the more visible parts such as decks, which are viewable even outside the page they belong to, there is no need for major plot elements since it should only briefly explain the premise of the game. Content is king and should not be sacrificed under any circumstances.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By brukaoru
MB said:
"Since we're talking about spoilers, this discussion brings to mind another question.  What are we going to do about people putting clearly visible spoilers for upcoming releases right in the blurb or body of the main article?  I think we definitely have to worry about that sort of thing, and some clearly defined rules are needed."
That's true. I'd say there should not be any spoilers in any blurbs whatsoever, keep it all under plot/story summary.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Axersia

I think not having spoilers in the blurbs/decks is fine, but I woudn't go out of my way to separate multiple identities of a single character. So yes, Zelda, Sheik, and Tetra should share the same page IMO, which they currently don't. It makes for a much more comprehensive article, and readers won't have to switch between pages all the time to get all the information on a single character.