• 53 results
#1 Edited by Marino (4705 posts) -
Staff
#2 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I bet the mods are having fun with duplicate pages and threads right now :)

#3 Posted by ch3burashka (5083 posts) -

I dunno, I'm very very sure the Elder Scrolls V Collector's Edition will come with a cloth map.

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

YEAH? WELL I KNOW MODERN WARFARE 3 WILL SUCK BECAUSE I'M EDGY AND UNIQUE 

ALSO I H8 HALO LOLLERSKATES

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" I dunno, I'm very very sure the Elder Scrolls V Collector's Edition will come with a cloth map. "
lol. It better.
#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Glad you posted this Marino. Wiki content based on assumptions is still a fairly major issue.

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

But I've already created a Guillermo del Toro character page!

#8 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Shouldn't he be a person?
#9 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@FrankCanada97: That was the joke.
#10 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

In some ways, I have to disagree with Jeff's post. Yes, games that have one are two trailer's do not announce what is in the game, buy major gameplay mechanics like jumping, ice powers and other things that were seen in the trailer ARE going to be in the game. It would take a company a significant time to backpedal on major aspects of there new game that has been seen in trailers that they have released. 

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @FrankCanada97: That was the joke. "

#12 Posted by Marino (4705 posts) -
@JammyJesus said:
" In some ways, I have to disagree with Jeff's post. Yes, games that have one are two trailer's do not announce what is in the game, buy major gameplay mechanics like jumping, ice powers and other things that were seen in the trailer ARE going to be in the game. It would take a company a significant time to backpedal on major aspects of there new game that has been seen in trailers that they have released.  "
We're not talking about stuff you do see in trailers.  We're talking about assumptions that are unseen or unconfirmed.
Staff
#13 Posted by ZombiePie (5673 posts) -
@JammyJesus said:
" In some ways, I have to disagree with Jeff's post. Yes, games that have one are two trailer's do not announce what is in the game, buy major gameplay mechanics like jumping, ice powers and other things that were seen in the trailer ARE going to be in the game. It would take a company a significant time to backpedal on major aspects of there new game that has been seen in trailers that they have released.  "
What you see in trailers is fair game, but attaching the Mass Effect 3 wiki page to Garrus or Tali without knowing who the playable characters or NPCs are is not.
#14 Posted by TurboMan (7546 posts) -

So no online co-op for the new Elder Scrolls?

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11943 posts) -

OK, what if it's something that's beyond reasonable doubt. It would be ludicrous to assume that Mass Effect 3 will be 2D or not have voice acting. So would it be ok to add the 3D and Voice Acting concepts now? I know those things are kind of shown in the trailer, but it's not really game play footage anyway. I guess better examples would be Character Creation or RPG elements etc... I'm very sure those things will exist. Or is it just too much of a slippery slope adding in things that are 99.99% likely to exist in the game?

#16 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -
@BeachThunder: Of course Mass Effect 3 will be 3D and feature voice acting. However they streamlined elements from Mass Effect when they developed Mass Effect 2. Some features along the way could be changed or removed so we can't say for sure exactly what RPG elements will be present.
#17 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

...and here I was about to attach this page to Mass Effect 3.

#18 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I imagine you could just copy all the concepts, locations and character pages from each games predecessor, and it would be at least 90% accurate.

#19 Posted by MB (12423 posts) -
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" I imagine you could just copy all the concepts, locations and character pages from each games predecessor, and it would be at least 90% accurate. "
When it comes to things attached to games, we're going for 100%, not 90% - so don't add something unless it's been confirmed.
#20 Posted by Falconer (1688 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:
" I dunno, I'm very very sure the Elder Scrolls V Collector's Edition will come with a cloth map. "
lol. It better. "
Don't kid you ass holes. The map with TES IV was cool, but a cloth one? God damn it...
#21 Posted by Fallen189 (5008 posts) -
@MB said:
" @sofacitysweetheart said:
" I imagine you could just copy all the concepts, locations and character pages from each games predecessor, and it would be at least 90% accurate. "
When it comes to things attached to games, we're going for 100%, not 90% - so don't add something unless it's been confirmed. "
Urgh, the worst part of the wiki. "Let's attatch jumping and air to every game ever". Who even does that? Who really thinks "Hey, I know. I like games with lava in them. I'll topic search lava as a concept"
#22 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@MB said:
When it comes to things attached to games, we're going for 100%, not 90% - so don't add something unless it's been confirmed. "
Wouldn't that mean one should wait till the game is out - promised features get cut all the time :)
#23 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

One should blame the game developers for making their sequels so predictable ;)

#24 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:
" I bet the mods are having fun with duplicate pages and threads right now :) "
Eh, it's not nearly as bad as it is around every E3.
#25 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" ...and here I was about to attach this page to Mass Effect 3. "
While we all want every game to have grief beard, we have to wait for confirmation from the developers.
#26 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

What if im 100% that something isnt going to be announced, because im 100% sure does that mean its ok to put on the page?

#27 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @MB said:
Urgh, the worst part of the wiki. "Let's attatch jumping and air to every game ever". Who even does that? Who really thinks "Hey, I know. I like games with lava in them. I'll topic search lava as a concept" "
I do... I also do this on tvtropes for finding media that contain specific tropes I like... it's how I find all the best time-travel movies....
#28 Posted by Marino (4705 posts) -
@CptChiken said:
" What if im 100% that something isnt going to be announced, because im 100% sure does that mean its ok to put on the page? "
What?
Staff
#29 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Marino: exactly. 
I was off on one when i wrote that, and yeah it doesnt make any sense. sorry.
#30 Posted by ZombiePie (5673 posts) -
@ViciousReiven:  This isn't TV Tropes. I cannot make this anymore clearer.
#31 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@ZombiePie: But we do have pages that tell us what games have lava and time travel in them. So we are like TV Tropes in that regard. I really doubt ViciousReiven was trying to say GB is exactly like TV Tropes.
#32 Posted by ZombiePie (5673 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  Surely Shirley.
#33 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -
@Marino said:
" @CptChiken said:
" What if im 100% that something isnt going to be announced, because im 100% sure does that mean its ok to put on the page? "
What? "
You can't beat 100%.
#34 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Holy shit i just got back from 2088 and I saw some seroius shit. You can trust me I'm Canadian. 

time to add the Gran turismo 6  page.
#35 Posted by LeetBalla (698 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" ...and here I was about to attach this page to Mass Effect 3. "
While we all want every game to have grief beard, we have to wait for confirmation from the developers. "
What if my Shepard were to have a grief beard? Would it be ok then? No? Awe man...
#36 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Honestly, the example Jeff gave is really bad. Infamous 2 is going to have a player controlled character. It's a video game.  100% chance it has AI too. I would also be very surprised if you couldn't jump, or the game had no NPCs, or that the game about controlling lightning doesn't have the ability to control lightning. 

But whatever.

#37 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

kind of made me lol from that. people are already making pages of game that aren't even announced.

#38 Posted by Sparklykiss (1966 posts) -
@ShaggyChu said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:
lol. It better. "
Don't kid you ass holes. The map with TES IV was cool, but a cloth one? God damn it... "
I wanted to make a valuable contribution here, but now all I can think of are cloth maps. 
#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@davidwitten22 said:
" Honestly, the example Jeff gave is really bad. Infamous 2 is going to have a player controlled character. It's a video game.  100% chance it has AI too. I would also be very surprised if you couldn't jump, or the game had no NPCs, or that the game about controlling lightning doesn't have the ability to control lightning.  But whatever. "
As far as I'm concerned, the Player Character page shouldn't even exist. If you can add it to every page without knowing anything about the game, it's a bad concept.
#40 Edited by HubrisRanger (489 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

"
As far as I'm concerned, the Player Character page shouldn't even exist. If you can add it to every page without knowing anything about the game, it's a bad concept. "

Tetris ain't got no Player Character. But yes, this is probably one of the broadest categories on the site. 

EDIT: Also, after looking at the page, it probably is safe to argue that the page is more there to be attached to characters as a concept rather than the games itself. In that regard, it is useful to a degree. As a concept for individual video game titles, maybe less so.
#41 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Not to be a dick, but ... *unreleased

#42 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

Just bumping this to bring it back to everyone's attention. I just had to remove a bunch of concepts and characters from the Mass Effect 3 page.

#43 Posted by Fallen189 (5008 posts) -

This kind of shit is fucking unbearable. Why bother deleting concepts when some fool will re-add it later?

#44 Posted by Marino (4705 posts) -

Stickifying this again since it continues to be a major problem.  I know you guys are excited about upcoming games, because so am I.  And I appreciate your enthusiasm with wanting to contribute to the wiki, but none of us are psychic.  So, please stop adding stuff that isn't confirmed, especially pertaining to objects and concepts.

And yeah, I know I spelled "unreleased" wrong.

Staff
#45 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Thank you. I'm tired of seeing bull shit wiki edits to shit that won't be out for months. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some editing to do on Uncharted Racer: Drakes Modellista.

#46 Posted by Shikon (176 posts) -

i know this is a little old but i had a question around this topic and who knows maybe this could use a bumb as well.

i'm thinking of filling out the wakfu wiki a little bit. but the game is still in open beta, can i post information i found out in the beta on the wiki? or do i have to wait for the game to be released and post those findings?

and an other question would be what is a good example wiki i could look at to get a good feel of how a good wiki looks.

#47 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Shikon said:

i know this is a little old but i had a question around this topic and who knows maybe this could use a bumb as well.

i'm thinking of filling out the wakfu wiki a little bit. but the game is still in open beta, can i post information i found out in the beta on the wiki? or do i have to wait for the game to be released and post those findings?

and an other question would be what is a good example wiki i could look at to get a good feel of how a good wiki looks.

Yes you can fill in the wiki with information about the beta

Chrono Trigger, Everquest, Star Raiders, Batman, Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor......there are a lot of different styles though, try to find your own and remember to write in third-person perspective.....and pages don't have to be long to be good either BTW, I've seen some very poorly written long pages.....quality over quantity.

#48 Posted by BeachThunder (11943 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

...and pages don't have to be long to be good either BTW, I've seen some very poorly written long pages.....quality over quantity.

In fact, I would even go as far as saying that most long articles are outright bad. A lot of the time they come across as someone padding what should be a relatively small article with as much minutiae as they possibly can.

#49 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1470 posts) -

I ended up needing clarification for two issues after I recently edited the Alex the Dinosaur page.

Firstly, since he has a cameo as a background character of the Dino stage in the What It Is SF X Tekken video is being a background character cameo enough to justify adding that game to their page? I have no idea the rules on cameos and how their credits should be addressed on pages.

Secondly, Since the footage was captured from an unreleased version of the game is that speculating or as above just providing information from a "Beta" version of a game. In both cases, stuff may be removed and not appear in the final version.

#50 Posted by Nadafinga (958 posts) -

I'm wondering if this applies to games that have been cancelled. Since the game doesn't actually exist, its my thinking that it should not have any concepts or characters associated with it, because the game doesn't exist.