Should download services be added as platforms?

cyclonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cyclonus

Steam, XBLA, Wiiware/VC, PSN, Gamersgate, Stardock Central/Impulse, Metaboli, Good Old Games, Gametap, Direct2Drive.. etc

There should be something added for these services, yes? Maybe sub-platforms heh. Or would this be too much like advertising, thoughts?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Download services for consoles are already listed. PC games are available through so many different channels, I doubt it would work out. Just list 'em as PC games. If they're available online, maybe find a way to work that into the article.

dzigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By dzigns

XBLA and PSN are already platforms on the site... Wii VC is called Wii Shop...

Most of the PC-based ones like Direct2Drive shouldn't be added because most of the time they are really more considered as an alternate means of purchasing a product and not an actual platform (where this differs from XBLA and PSN is that games are sometimes exclusively released for those services).

I do think though that there should be some sort of way to view all Wiiware and XNA games on the site and to associate games that fall into that category into their pages, but I don't feel like they should classify as platforms, but more like some sort of a developer add-on...

cyclonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cyclonus

Oh right, didn't realise the console ones already were on there. I was more concerned with the PC ones anyway.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

No

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By banksrob

Nah. Like cyclonus said you mostly buy games alternatly from there. You don't run them on there. For example steam you can purchase GRID which is availible on pc anyway.

cyclonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cyclonus
banksrob said:
"Nah. Like cyclonus said you mostly buy games alternatly from there. You don't run them on there. For example steam you can purchase GRID which is availible on pc anyway."

Steam is not the best example though since you actually do run the games from/through steam.