snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

Hey all -

We're barreling through moderation, but as you might have noticed are failing to meet our 24 hour goal. Please be patient with us as we make it through this first week. There is nothing more that we want to do then approve submissions as quickly as possible.

What we have planned

We're going to open up some of our mod tools to you guys hopefully by the end of the week. We'll likely start with the image queue tools where we're currently building a fun little mini-game so people can anonymously vote on the approval / rejection of content. Yes, there will be a points component to it and yes, we'll provide some failsafes in there to make sure it can't be abused.

Right now we're just hustling to create clever ways to deal with submissions and get our approval times down as low as possible. Thanks of course for submitting such awesome content, for the most part it's been awesome, but as you can guess, there are some stinkers out there along with some poor submissions made just because people didn't understand the tools. We'd rather make sure we keep the quality high, then just rushing through all this so thanks for waiting it out.

Updating the Help page

I'll be updating the help page today and removing the stickies on the board. If you'd like to help out please provide your suggestions for questions on this topic.
Freakboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Freakboy

Cool, thanks for the update!

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Whoa, so If I submit a solid screenshot or image of a game, if some people decide to be jerks, It won't get posted

Im against the idea

Thanks for the update snide

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By banksrob

thx for the update

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackWaterCO

This will turn into an issue

Good content will never make it now

Some will but alot is goning to be missed because (and I understand) you guys cant handle 20,000 plus submissions a week. I wish you guys had like a bot or something. I submitted alot of good screens and im worried now.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MasterSplinter

Thanks snide.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackWaterCO

ALSO

What if someone finds a few screens of a very old obscure game?

Now it aint ever gonna see the light of day on the site

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By snide

BlackWater, don't worry. We're on it. The image mod stuff will be completely anonymous on both sides. We've actually got a great idea for it and I'm pretty sure it will greatly alleviate the image wait times.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlackWaterCO
CaLe said:
"BlackWaterCO said:
"ALSO

Now it aint ever gonna see the light of day on the site"
What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure he means that people will have the ability to reject images that are obviously not meant for the site. Most of gaming related images will get approved, I'm sure.
"
I Know, but im talking about the people who come here just to be jerks and immature like dawhiteasian, you know he's just gonna hit reject on everything and people who toss up a few good screens that get rejected because some stuck up nerd thinks they look too grainy or doesnt capture said game...its just a little worrysome too me thats all
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By ManMadeGod

Well I just sent in a huge fix to one of the game's pages and I hope it gets accepted. Ehhh, I just can't wait until I get 1,000 points and have the freedom to edit the pages when I want.
Right now I don't mind waiting a day or 2 for my stuff to get posted.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MasterSplinter

@snide
As far as the points component goes, I can see it being more points for a higher approval rating of the image. Higher quality images = more points. Also for people who rate images, 1 point for each image you rate can be an incentive for more people to get involved.

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Locke
Thanks for the update. I'm interested to see what this mini game will be.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlackWaterCO
Locke said:
"Thanks for the update. I'm interested to see what this mini game will be."

Why all bold?
tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By tovan
BlackWaterCO said:
"CaLe said:
"BlackWaterCO said:
"ALSO

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure he means that people will have the ability to reject images that are obviously not meant for the site. Most of gaming related images will get approved, I'm sure.
"
I Know, but im talking about the people who come here just to be jerks and immature like dawhiteasian, you know he's just gonna hit reject on everything and people who toss up a few good screens that get rejected because some stuck up nerd thinks they look too grainy or doesnt capture said game...its just a little worrysome too me thats all
"
More than one person would need to vote it down, the good people here outweigh the bad
MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasterSplinter

Being that this is still the beta, I think this is the perfect time to test this feature. If all goes awry, the feature can still be dropped.

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By MichaelScott
MasterSplinter said:
"@snide
As far as the points component goes, I can see it being more points for a higher approval rating of the image. Higher quality images = more points. Also for people who rate images, 1 point for each image you rate can be an incentive for more people to get involved.
"
That sounds like a good system . :)

I like the idea of the voting this it would definitely help with the speed of getting things approved.
Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xelloss

Sounds good, I bet its hard going through 129k images :/ Hopefully some of my over 24 images submissions can go through.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MasterSplinter
Tovan51 said:
"BlackWaterCO said:
"CaLe said:
"BlackWaterCO said:
"ALSO

"
"
More than one person would need to vote it down, the good people here outweigh the bad
"
I agree with you Tovan. The image approval system should be on percentage basis. The higher percentage of approval the higher chance of the image being accepted. The site is not out to get you BlackWater. Not everyone is going to be corrupt. Like I said before, now is the perfect time to test this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7c31174a7f0
deactivated-5d7c31174a7f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"We'll likely start with the image queue tools where we're currently building a fun little mini-game so people can anonymously vote on the approval / rejection of content. Yes, there will be a points component to it and yes, we'll provide some failsafes in there to make sure it can't be abused."

That just sounds so awsome. I think that should be a listed concept itself.

AndrewP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AndrewP
BlackWaterCO said:
"Whoa, so If I submit a solid screenshot or image of a game, if some people decide to be jerks, It won't get posted

Im against the idea

Thanks for the update snide"
I would assume that there's going to be more than 1 person voting on images. I think 20 or so people voting on 1 image would be around the right amount and if 5 or 6 vote no then the image gets rejected.
Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shade

Sounds good man, thanks for the update.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By snide

Everyone who wants to participate on approving / rejecting images will have an opportunity. And yes, it will be a multi step process for each and every image that goes through. Just because one person says an image can't be added doesn't mean the next person will think the same.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I guess you guys are right, as long as they don't say who the screenshot is from

Because I know theres one or two people who dislike me, maybe more

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Jensonb

Thanks for the update

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MasterSplinter

My guess is that there will be "x" amount of votes required to be considered. If the approval rating falls below a certain percentage, it will be automatically filtered out. If it is above a certain percentage, it will go straight through to submissions moderators who will have the final verdict. At least that is my theory.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Otacon

Cool, this system should work, thanks for the update.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope none of my submissions are these "stinkers" of which you speak...

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lemmywinks_360

cool. thanks for the update snide

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By thebeast
Snide: I've added answers to the questions that seem to be popping up a lot on an FAQ here - feel free to rephrase/use any questions/answers from there.

Good news on the moderation front - great idea to hand moderation down to the users - looking forward to seeing the results!

Are there plans to allow users to do some backseat moderating on other things? Such as 'reporting' posts and topics with some description of the problem (wrong forum, offensive, etc.), reporting wrong images, rating reviews, etc?
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MsCortana

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on things. :D

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deskp

minigame! woho!!

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MasterSplinter
TheBeast said:
"Snide: I've added answers to the questions that seem to be popping up a lot on an FAQ here - feel free to rephrase/use any questions/answers from there.

Good news on the moderation front - great idea to hand moderation down to the users - looking forward to seeing the results!

Are there plans to allow users to do some backseat moderating on other things? Such as 'reporting' posts and topics with some description of the problem (wrong forum, offensive, etc.), reporting wrong images, rating reviews, etc?
"
You can report those things to them directly via PM. As far as wrong images, I believe the best you can do is edit it yourself and submit the corrections.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Player1

thanks for the update

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ethan

I cant wait to see what I come up with. 

DappaDizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DappaDizzle

thanks for the update snide

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By roofy

thanks for the update Snide.

any word on forum moderators?

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Foil_Charizard
ethan said:
"I cant wait to see what I come up with. 
"
XD, neither can we.

BTW: As far as making moderations and submissions for both the users and the staff easier, I think a good idea would be giving users the ability to withdraw or edit their submissions. That way when someone makes a mistake on a submission they can scrap it or edit it a bit to make it  better or more complete, I think this would probably help cut back on the number of subs you guys get as well as encouraging more complete, higher quality submissions.
Avatar image for deactivated-63a7746b2b8af
deactivated-63a7746b2b8af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Good idea. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Plus, you don't want the mods to be overloaded.

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By peewi
ethan said:
"I cant wait to see what I come up with. 
"

I don't think anyone can.
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By ManMadeGod

Or how about you just put a cap on the number of pictures a user can upload in 1 day?
Something like 0-500 points users can only upload 5 per day, 500-1000 can only upload 10. Maybe a little more then that, but you get the idea.

I saw this one user who said he has uploaded over 500 pics already. I mean dam, that's a lot of photos from 1 user. Even if you let us vote there is still going to be hundreds of photos everyday that get uploaded and there is no way we can/want to keep up with all of that.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By chililili

Seems good it would otherwise take a very long time to get anything posted.

MrMiyamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrMiyamoto

Well there goes my Mindfuck images...
62 images down to 1, man that bums me out...

SmAsH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SmAsH

Another awesome way to involve the community, GiantBomb, just gets better and better.

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hughesie27

Looking forward to seeing new screenshots we can vote for. As long as it isn't some stupid rating system like 3 stars out of 5 ect!

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kcwsk8

nice to know

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MasterSplinter
@snide
Will there be a way for users to easily see the image gallery of the picture that is being voted on? I think this could be beneficial because if there is already a highly similar or exact duplicate image of the one being voted on, it could make it much easier to filter out those duplicates. I think the end result would be less unnecessary work for submissions moderators.
davecuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By davecuk

Sounds an interesting concept, I just hope you guys manage to put together a system which is balanced enough as to not be open to abuse. I don't suppose you would care to elaborate on how the points component will work or is nothing finalised?

Have you guys also considered the request by Djungelurban for a feature where users could delete their pending submissions? This would cut down on the amount of submissions the staff had to deal with as users could delete their submission if they realised they had made a mistake or someone had gotten their submission approved before them etc. The link for the original feature request thread is http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting/33/request-deleting-submissions/3008/

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By LightYagami245

Thanks for the info. I have a question though, what about adding characters to a game's character page when the characters are not in your database? Can you guys allow us to create the characters that are not in there already?

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MasterSplinter
LightYagami245 said:
"Thanks for the info. I have a question though, what about adding characters to a game's character page when the characters are not in your database? Can you guys allow us to create the characters that are not in there already?
"
Yes you can submit a character page for the moderators to approve, by going to the characters section and select to add a new character. If you character is submitted, then you can edit it's information and add it to the game's character page you want.
LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By LightYagami245
MasterSplinter said:
"LightYagami245 said:
"Thanks for the info. I have a question though, what about adding characters to a game's character page when the characters are not in your database? Can you guys allow us to create the characters that are not in there already?
"
Yes you can submit a character page for the moderators to approve, by going to the characters section and select to add a new character. If you character is submitted, then you can edit it's information and add it to the game's character page you want.
"
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of adding a few, but when I tried to type in the name, it didn't appear.