Super Robot Wars or Super Robot Taisen?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

Currently we have a page for the Super Robot Wars franchise. But the two games that were released in North America are called Super Robot Taisen Original Generation and Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2.

Axersia said in a recent thread that we should use North American names, since this is a US-based website. Does that mean we should use Super Robot Taisen as the name for the entire franchise? Or should we stick with Super Robot Wars, which seems to be the more popular name?

Anyone have any ideas for what to do with this?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Axersia

First off, an official title always wins. So if the translated version is unofficial, all games should be listed under the Japanese title. But you've previously stated that the developers themselves use the English translation in some cases (I don't know which, so I'll just take your word for it), which makes the English translation an option too.

In this case though, even if Wars is more popular, I would still go for Taisen to be consistent within the series and the rest of the site. It's a bit odd how the 2 games that were brought over to the US use their Japanese titles, while all Japan-only games in the series use the English translation. And GB always lists Japanese-titled games under their romanized title, not the translation. It's also the official US title of the franchise, so that's one more reason to list it as Taisen.

EDIT: I also wanted to note that even the Tengai Makyou series, which has never seen a release in the US but has always had an official English title (Far East of Eden), is listed under its Japanese title on the site.

Lance_McCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lance_McCloud
I quote myself from the other thread..Lance_McCloud said:
"The japanese name is Supa Robotto Taisen or スーパーロボット大戦 if you will... and it kind of translated into Super Robot Wars. Only  taisen is a japanese word in the original title. The reason the Original Generations games was released as Super Robot Taisen probably has more to do with that Robot Wars is a registered trademark already.

Super Robot Taisen is the name of the Original Generations games released in the US. Super Robot Taisen, or rather Supa Robotto Taisen is also how you would prognounce the title in japanese. The thing that mess up it everything is the word Taisen, because the rest of the title is in English already. It sounds much beter to have the entire title in english then two words english and one word japanese I think. Its all up to if you want to translate the title or not, and if not, you might as well use Supa Robotto instead of Super Robot, right? To me, Super Robot Taisen is some wierd middle path between two alternatives.

Another argument for using Wars is that the opening to the Original Generations anime, Break Out by JAM Project, had the words "Super Robot Wars" in it along with other English words and phrases mixed with the japanese lyrics. So the fact that the games was translated to Taisen is probably nothing more then a result of the British Robot Wars TV series. I guess the final argument would be that all fans say Super Robot Wars and never Taisen already, but I guess thats not a walid argument and more a fact, but I see no reason why this website should be different just because of a possible will to handle all cases the exact same and not look at it case by case, something that can be done with something that is not more serious then the title of a video game.
Kraker2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kraker2k

Having a look at common practises, I think for the GBA released games, leave those as Taisen and have the rest as Wars.