Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dooops

Hey everyone.

For those of you creating True or False questions for the trivia. You may want to put a False answer in there once in a while. I just got a 60 answer correct streak without reading one True or False question. I just clicked on True 60 times in a row and was correct for each one of them.

So just a thought, try throwing people off by making a true or false where the answer is actually false. It's too obvious a the answer is true when you write a question like "True or False: In Super Mario Brothers 3 you can duck for a while on that white tile and then you run behind boxes and then you get a flute and it warps you to a screen where you can select which level you want to warp to? Oh I remember when they did that on the wizard and then my brother and I tried it and it worked!. Anyhow, true or false"?

Too much detail, like I meantioned before unless purposely trying to through someone off, is a dead giveaway that the answer is true and the submitter of the question is happy that he knows that bit of information :P

Anyhow, other than that the trivia is great. Especially with the ability to add images. That is all :)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There have already been tonnes of forum threads about this.

Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dooops

My bad. I haven't been too active on the forums.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

We have already discussed the unnecessary amount of True/False questions that also happen to 90% of the time be True.  If they continue to grow just as strong, we might have to discuss another measure.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DXSSI

It's not that there are too many "True" questions, it's that the game weights trivia questions according to difficulty based on the success/failure ratio of players answering them.  The easiest questions in the game are T/F questions, and they tend to be easier still when they are very descriptive or stem from a very popular game/franchise.  So if they're easy, they show up near the beginning of the game, leading to monstrous hot streaks like Dooops has.  Checking his trivia stats shows that he has only answered 97 questions so far, which backs up what I've said.

A change does need to be made for the sake of new users, who probably think Giant Bomb trivia sucks as a result of this (and it will only get worse over time as more questions get added), but eliminating questions or outlawing True/False questions isn't it.

My suggestion would be to change the weighting system so that questions are delivered based on two criteria; ease and number of choices.  Firstly, decrease the weight of the ease requirement, so that beginning players don't get such easy questions right from the start, and increase the choice requirement, which would greatly reduce the odds of getting true/false questions in the early-going, regardless of ease.  The balance can work, it just needs to be played with a little bit.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Hexpane

Don't forget that if you pick "C" you can also score well without reading the question.

Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dooops
DXSSI said:
"It's not that there are too many "True" questions, it's that the game weights trivia questions according to difficulty based on the success/failure ratio of players answering them.  The easiest questions in the game are T/F questions, and they tend to be easier still when they are very descriptive or stem from a very popular game/franchise.  So if they're easy, they show up near the beginning of the game, leading to monstrous hot streaks like Dooops has.  Checking his trivia stats shows that he has only answered 97 questions so far, which backs up what I've said.

A change does need to be made for the sake of new users, who probably think Giant Bomb trivia sucks as a result of this (and it will only get worse over time as more questions get added), but eliminating questions or outlawing True/False questions isn't it.

My suggestion would be to change the weighting system so that questions are delivered based on two criteria; ease and number of choices.  Firstly, decrease the weight of the ease requirement, so that beginning players don't get such easy questions right from the start, and increase the choice requirement, which would greatly reduce the odds of getting true/false questions in the early-going, regardless of ease.  The balance can work, it just needs to be played with a little bit."
Interesting. I was unaware that the questions presented to a user is based on the users' trivia skills. That's a neat feature. But like you said, and I was a perfect example. I was excited when I saw the trivia feature. Then disappointed that I could just click true 60 or so times in a row.  However, now knowing that the questions do get harder I will continue with the trivia questions.