Tutorial: Cross-Posting Your Blogs To The Correct Forum

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

Since the interface for getting blogs cross-posted to the forums isn't really clear on how things work, here is quick tutorial with screenshots on how to get your blogs into the right places and seen by the most people. Remember, if your blog is about a specific game or platform, it is mandatory that your blog be published to the correct forum and not just lumped into General Discussion.

A couple of things to remember when writing blogs before we get started:

• It is completely optional to cross-post your blog entries to the forums. If you want to just spam away in your blog with a bunch of random videos or links or whatever, feel free to do so, but please do everyone else a favor and keep it off of the forums. To accomplish this, when asked which forum you would like it posted to, simply select nothing and navigate away from that page, refresh the page when asked which forum to post your blog to, or close your browser. Your blog will end up in your blog, but not on the forums.
  • If you are intending on publishing your blogs to the forums, please use a descriptive title. This is a common sense guideline that helps everyone, and holds true for forum threads as well.
  • If you elect to cross-post a blog to the forums, it will be subject to the same rules as all other forum posts. That means no spamming or inappropriate content allowed.

OK, here we go. First, write your blog as usual. At the bottom of the editor, you will see a blank bar that says "Type pages on the site (ex: superman, street fighter) you feel this post is relevant to..." under it. This is a search box used to associate your blogs to many different wiki pages, and is very important not only for the sake of getting your blogs exposed to as many readers as possible, but critical for the next step as well. Put in as many objects, games, and characters as you feel are appropriate and then click "Post Blog." See below:

No Caption Provided

Once you click the "Post Blog" button, a new screen will pop up. This is the part where the site asks you which forum you would like your blog posted to...and remember, this is optional. As you will see, there are now options for posting the blog to not only the regular forums such as General and Off Topic, but also the specific games and objects that you listed in the association box in the previous step. Select the forum that is most appropriate for your blog to be cross-posted to, then click the Attach button. As I said above, this is optional, and if you don't want your blog to end up in the forums or if you're just posting random videos and nonsense, simply refresh the page at this step, go to a different page, or close your browser. Your blog will stay in your blog and won't be posted to the forums.

No Caption Provided

If you skip the step of associating your blogs to the relevant pages, the only options will be to post in the top-level forums like General and Off-Topic. If you neglect to do this step, not only will your blog not be featured on the related wiki pages, you will probably end up cross-posting it to General Discussion and a moderator will have to spend time moving it. This is what your options will look like if you don't associate your blog to anything:

No Caption Provided

An additional benefit of associating your blogs to any and all relevant wiki pages is that they will be exposed to that many more people. Let's say I did write my blog about The Mini-Skirt Police and associated it to that forum, but chose to post it to the Cake forum instead. My blog still shows up in the recent activity feed for all wiki pages I associated it with, so next month when some user goes to that page, he'll see my blog and can read it. Like this:

No Caption Provided

See how that works? Now, anytime someone goes to The Mini-Skirt Police wiki page, the Police Chase page, or the Cake page, or the Cake forum, they will see my blog. Pretty cool, right? If you skip all of this and lump your blogs in General or Off-Topic, they are going to get lost within a matter of hours and will probably never be seen again. This applies to regular forum threads, too. Want to talk about Final Fantasy XIII or put up a new trailer that just dropped for a recently revealed game? General Discussion is not the place for that.

Please do your part to help the site by publishing your threads and blogs to the appropriate spots. If you have any questions, send Sweep a PM. Thanks!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mike

Figured this was worth a refresh and a sticky for a few days for all of the new members who may not be familiar with the blog system.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

Very informative, I have noticed a rise in this recently.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WORKS MB YOU ARE A BAD EXPLAINER

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Sweep, this blog was created because of you. O_O

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't understand how this can all be arbitrarily changed at the drop of a hat.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

I don't understand how this can all be arbitrarily changed at the drop of a hat.

This has been the rule of law for ages. This current thread is just a re-edit of an older version from when the site was first launched.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@ZombiePie said:

This has been the rule of law for ages. This current thread is just a re-edit of an older version from when the site was first launched.

Been here over a year. I can vouch that if you attach it to the forums it counts as a normal forum post. I think I was here when you guys re edited it. 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

Even if this was a new rule, which it isn't, things change. We haven't come up with a "new rule" here in years, and when there is something new, it's never arbitrary.

I wrote this tutorial up three years ago and it hasn't changed much, if at all, during that time.

Avatar image for spawnhellraiser
SpawnHellraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By SpawnHellraiser

I thought this thread is very informative. Thank you @MB

Iju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Iju

i REALLY dont understand the whole "post in the right forum" thing. help, please!

if i want to post up a battle or something, is it called a "blog"?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@Iju said:

i REALLY dont understand the whole "post in the right forum" thing. help, please!

if i want to post up a battle or something, is it called a "blog"?

If your post pertains only to a specific game, concept, or character attach your forum or blog to the forum for that specific game, concept, or character. If your topic pertains to multiple games or general gaming topic attach it to General Discussion. If it has nothing to do with gaming or the games industry (i.e. politics and local news unrelated to video games) attach it to Off-Topic.

Secondly we do not permit the creation of Battle Threads on Giant Bomb as they do not promote the type of discussion we want to encourage on the site.