User Videos?

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xpxTomxqx

I was just looking at some of the videos the guys at Giantbomb have put up and it got me wondering. The staff are limited by the releases of new games that we can rarely see footage of more retro games, albeit unless there's an ER.
It's probably have been asked before but was there any intention, or will there be, of introducing user videos to the community? I'm not sure what the paid members get extra but this could be a good way to entice more people to join (it would me) and then hopefully, with some heavy moderating potentially, turn the wiki pages into even more in-depth articles than they already are. Didn't really know where to put this in terms of the forum though.
Thanks for reading.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

it's been addressed, and I believe they had a firm no stance on the subject.

iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By iSylence

You're right it would be cool, but you're also right in assuming it's been discussed before. I think I remember them talking about it on the bombcast at one point and they said that it was just too much content to manage in their databases, as well as the fact that there's already sites purely for videos which do it way better. Like youtube for example. :)

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By xpxTomxqx

Thanks guys, it does make sense of being too much to manage and that there are other websites that do it better. It would be cool but I suppose if you want someone to see a video so bad then you can always embed one, or link to one, in a post.
Thanks again though!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's been mentioned in the past as something they'd like to have, but it's something that's insanely difficult for a site of this size to actually do. So, it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

clubside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By clubside

One way to implement the feature without strain on the site's bandwidth or the database would be to choose providers (YouTube, Vimeo) to link relevant videos. I am in the process of doing wiki edits to Intellivision and original Xbox games and would love to associate reviews/quick looks with them.