Wayyyyy too many images

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pbhawks45

This is getting annoying. I mean, it's nice to have a lot of images for the game, but I went to Bioshock, and there's over 600 damn images for the game. 600!!

It's the same with many other games on here as well. I attribute it to the rush to reach 1000 points. I think the site will eventually suffer because of this.

Sorry if this topic has been made a gazillion times, but I don't lurk on the forums as much as others.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By breton

This isn't made a gazillion times, because the majority participates in this act. Popular games are always going to have a predominant amount more than the rest, but I'm in agreement that some galleries have gotten ridiculous. The staff condemned adding every game to a concepts like grass, and I don't think this is much different. Having every possible image is just stupid. At some point images just become a point resource instead of decent additions to the wiki.

Screenshot galleries should be in place to give someone a good idea of what the game is. Lots have gone beyond that point.

Also, if anyone comes in with the "You don't have to look at them" defense, I will rape you in the eye.

SymbolliC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By SymbolliC

I will be honest and the majority (85% or more) of my points are from images, but I did not add a lot of the same images to all these different folders or points, I added concept art mostly to games that did not have a lot to begin with. I also see this issue, but I'm sure it won't stop. I would like to have less screen shots of the same enemy only a few second different from the screen shot before it.

I don't know if some of the know but you get a lot of points for writing a lengthy article for a game/concept/object/etc. We could use more of those than images right now.

Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kontrapunkt

I totally agree... If im honest i didnt think images gave you points, no i dont think any one will believe me. Anyways I think images caps need to be put in place with a message that says thanks for contributing but dude this page is stacked, or even a cap for people to only upload a few each day. I also think galleries are a great idea breton, but were just plebs with no real power on GB but thats totally cool, we can still BELIEVE!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

but they are all different images.....

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio

Yeah, sometimes you gotta tone it down. Like for older games, you don't need 30 images for one level.
I've put up a couple for some Turbo Grafx games, but the way I do it is just add an attract screen image, a level image, and a level boss image.

It can't be stopped, though.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

I'll drop WizzyKid a message stating that we don't want people running screenshot apps that automatically take a screenshot every couple of seconds and then upload them all.

But if the screenshots are actually different enough, there's nothing wrong with having lots of them.

Emilio said:

It can't be stopped, though."
Yes, it can. Just report on it if you see it happening anywhere else.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By breton
SymbolliC said:
I added concept art mostly to games that did not have a lot to begin with.
Concept art, IMO, is not the problem. I don't know what the OPs viewpoint on it is.. But my concern is only with the mass ammount of screenshots. They become unneeded after a certain point. Concept art and fan art does not.

Kontrapunkt said:
I also think galleries are a great idea breton
Eh? Galleries are already in place.. I'm saying that screenshot galleries (as opposed to concept art galleries) should be limited, as they become redundant after a while.

ArchScabby said:
"but they are all different images....."
For the same fucking game. How much variety will come of it? After the 100th image you're not really seeing anything new. As I said earlier, screenshot galleries should be in place to give a reader a decent idea of what the game looks like. Not for people to dump their screenshot folder to gain points.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Emilio
Axersia said:

Emilio said:
It can't be stopped, though."
Yes, it can. Just report on it if you see it happening anywhere else."
Bu-but I'm lazy! :*O

Pshhh fine.
banzai_nl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By banzai_nl

Another simple solution for this is of course lowering the amount of point you get for images and making the amount of points for real pieces of text higher.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#11  Edited By vigorousjammer

I think Banzaiapp has a good idea about point tweaking, but I do kinda like having a lot of images to look at for a game...
I mean, this is a database, it's nice to have resources.

the only bad thing I can see from this is having spoiler images... and spoiling the game for people who haven't played it yet...
a simple solution is to start making "Spoiler Screenshots" for every game out there...
a better solution would be for the Staff to code in some new way to tag images as "Spoiler Images" which makes those images come up with a type of generic "spoiler" thumbnail, this way you can chose if you want to spoil the game for yourself...

also, the image uploading FAQ would have to be changed... I think a good way of defining what counts as a "Spoiler Image" is if it happens after being 2 hours into the game...

what do you guys all think of this idea?

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giantkitty

I'm surprised that nobody has taken a screen shot every two seconds from the start of the game to finish.

1 screen shot / 2 second  *  60 second/minute  *  60 minute/hour  *  15 hour/game * 4 points/ screen shot = 108,000 points/game

But i think it's easy to see when people are point farming, if you look through the list of screen shots and can connect the one scene from the other very easily (I.e. 2 second shot putting), then they should be penalized and eventually banned. You just have to take the time and report people.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew
Banzaiaap said:
"Another simple solution for this is of course lowering the amount of point you get for images and making the amount of points for real pieces of text higher."
The amount of points you gain is already pretty low. 1 point per image, plus 1 for each gallery it's added to. Assuming people are adding it to the Screenshot and PLAT Screenshot galleries, that gives them three points per image.
But you can't give users half-points, so they're always going to get at least one point per image, no matter what you do.

I do think it needs to be clarified before submission though, that people shouldn't be posting a dozen near-identical screenshots.
xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By xymox

I have about 5 CDs burned with super-compressed images containing shots from pretty much every game I ever played.
That said, I also have over 4 000 screen shots for my 500 hours of anarchy online. That's like 8 shots an hour, completely irrelevant to anyone but me.
Because only about 5 of those 4 000 shots would be truly worthy of even being put onto the site - because most of the stuff I took screenshots of are things that people just wouldn't care about, like random conversations or those "you had to be there" moments.

Point I'm trying to make is: people should be more picky about what they upload.
Most important question to ask yourself is: Would anyone else but me find this screenshot interesting?
If the answer is NO, then don't connect the screenshot with a gallery, upload it to your profile if you wish to keep it, but you don't HAVE to connect it to a game.

Second question that is fairly relevant is: Has someone else already uploaded a screenshot from this very scene, perhaps at a higher resolution and better graphics?
But even if a higher res version exists, I personally think it's a good idea to have shots of different graphical quality, as EVERYONE will NOT be able to max out Crysis, so the screenshots do NOT reflect the actual expereience of those less fortunate users. And, sadly, I'm one of those with a shitty system, so I know how it's like to be insanely penalised by bad graphics - I might look at one or two high res shots, but if I'm looking for something to actually play, I'd look at the low res ones.

To be quite honest I don't think we should get points for screenshots at all, unless it's the first screenshot for a game. That would make people hook up their 2600s and stuff, and take some sweet new shots for games that don't yet have them. Like, REAL screenshots, not emulated ones.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Disgaeamad

I'd like to ask something. Right now, I'm writing articles on the games in the Touhou Project, however, I thought that I might as well add screenshots while I'm at it. The question is, is it ok if there are 100 - 200 screenshots for some later games in the series, if they've been taken 7 (sometimes 13) seconds apart from each other?

SymbolliC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SymbolliC

It's probably toned down now, but I've seen a lot of images going into screenshots and others galleries that aren't related or sometimes not even the same game.. I don't know if others with 5,000+ points do it, but I try my best to delete incorrect image placement.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
Disgaeamad said:
"I'd like to ask something. Right now, I'm writing articles on the games in the Touhou Project, however, I thought that I might as well add screenshots while I'm at it. The question is, is it ok if there are 100 - 200 screenshots for some later games in the series, if they've been taken 7 (sometimes 13) seconds apart from each other?"
I suppose it depends. How much different does each shot look? Is there something interesting about them?
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Emilio
LordAndrew said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"I'd like to ask something. Right now, I'm writing articles on the games in the Touhou Project, however, I thought that I might as well add screenshots while I'm at it. The question is, is it ok if there are 100 - 200 screenshots for some later games in the series, if they've been taken 7 (sometimes 13) seconds apart from each other?"
I suppose it depends. How much different does each shot look? Is there something interesting about them?"
I don't know, man. 100-200 shots is alot, and especially if it starts feeling like a flip book.
You should pretend to be a photographer and only pick the best ones from certain scenes or shots that truly represent the article or game, know what I'm saying?
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By breton

I think Banzaiapp has a good idea about point tweaking, but I do kinda like having a lot of images to look at for a game...
I mean, this is a database, it's nice to have resources.
Tell me that you need allthese to know what the game looks like.
The amount of points you gain is already pretty low. 1 point per image, plus 1 for each gallery it's added to. Assuming people are adding it to the Screenshot and PLAT Screenshot galleries, that gives them three points per image.
That's an awful lot when uploading in bulk. Especially compared to writing articles.
To be quite honest I don't think we should get points for screenshots at all, unless it's the first screenshot for a game.
That actually seems like a decent proposal. It would hopefully result in people adding images for the actual benefit of the wiki rather than their own gain.
The question is, is it ok if there are 100 - 200 screenshots for some later games in the series, if they've been taken 7 (sometimes 13) seconds apart from each other?"
That's ridiculous. Someone else said here that you shouldn't be able to connect the one scene to the other. From the sound of it, your first screen is probably on the same map as the last screen. I added all the screens for Myst III: Exile. I ran through the entire game and got 19 screens. An ENTIRE GAME was covered in 19 screens.
And to add to that, I was way overpointed. I got some near 60 points for those screens when someone who wrote a page of text got only a little over that.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

Indeed, it is quite a bit. I was just having trouble thinking of a good alternative.

I don't think they can give partial points, but maybe they could make it so you only get one point per image, rather than one point per gallery.
Or maybe set a point cap for images, which could allow people to upload more images to a game, but they wouldn't get extra points once they reach a certain amount.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordAndrew
Emilio said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Disgaeamad said:
I suppose it depends. How much different does each shot look? Is there something interesting about them?"
I don't know, man. 100-200 shots is alot, and especially if it starts feeling like a flip book.
You should pretend to be a photographer and only pick the best ones from certain scenes or shots that truly represent the article or game, know what I'm saying?"
That's sort of what I was getting it. If there really is enough variation it might be okay, but it's unlikely. Most games don't change a lot in 7-13 seconds.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Disgaeamad
LordAndrew said:
Most games don't change a lot in 7-13 seconds."
That's the thing about Touhou, a crapload happens in 3 seconds, let alone 7. I guess you could always check for yourself
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Emilio

Hmmm. Maybe we should start posting gifs in slide show format. Like have one image and then insert the specific frames of the attack or animation into one gif.

What do you guys think of putting the same pictures in different galleries, because I think I'm spamming. I added Soldier Blade shots in the screen shots, TG 16, and Wii galleries since they're both the same game. Should I just add to the screen shots section? Or maybe different pictures for TG 16 and Wii galleries?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordAndrew

I've been attaching to only one platform, as we were told. There may be subtle differences, so just make sure you upload it to only the system on which the screenshot was taken from. If you're not sure of which version a screenshot originated from, attach it only to the Screenshots gallery.

The same rules would presumably apply to compilations as well. I took a screenshot from Phantasy Star II in the Sega Genesis Collection. I could have added it to Phantasy Star II's images (as I did when I uploaded it to GameFAQs), but instead I added it to Sega Genesis Collection as we were told.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LordAndrew
Disgaeamad said:
"LordAndrew said:
That's the thing about Touhou, a crapload happens in 3 seconds, let alone 7. I guess you could always check for yourself"
Many of them do look quite different, but a few of them look very similar. It should be okay, but you should exercise caution at times.
SymbolliC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SymbolliC
LordAndrew said:
"Disgaeamad said:
"LordAndrew said:
That's the thing about Touhou, a crapload happens in 3 seconds, let alone 7. I guess you could always check for yourself"
Many of them do look quite different, but a few of them look very similar. It should be okay, but you should exercise caution at times."
I donno about other people, but I don't need to see that many screenshots that are so similar to decide if I want a game or just curious on how it looks. For example.. say a game like Halo 3. I would like to see various screenshots, like a shot of the beach on High Ground, then maybe a shot of the jungle terrain on the first level of the game. For a game like Touhou, I can see why they're all similar, but too many can get rediculous a obviously point grinding.

Also on the other hand, if the uploaders can set through uploading 100s of images for a game, then having to reload the failed ones, and all that mess, then they should enjoy seeing all their screenshots being up.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Disgaeamad
SymbolliC said:
"For a game like Touhou, I can see why they're all similar, but too many can get rediculous a obviously point grinding. "
I'd actually like to disagree (I know, I'm the guy who uploaded them). The screenshots show off just how crazy and difficult certain Spell Cards can become, letting someone play it expecting things to get difficult. But that's just my own biased opinion.

Although I can't be accused of point grinding, as a large portion of the points I have are from writing articles. I'll decrease the amount of screenshots I upload, though.
Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman
Banzaiaap said:
"Another simple solution for this is of course lowering the amount of point you get for images and making the amount of points for real pieces of text higher."
That would be nice. I've spent considerable time researching some topics, and to see some people upload tons of images and get near the amount of points I have, is a tad discouraging.

I've uploaded a fair amount of images, but I make sure that they're different from what i've uploaded before, and I try to check the galleries to make sure that there are no screenshots that are too similar. It's a labor of love for me though, some people just want that instant point fix.

A quick example would be MapleStory. There's nigh on 700 images in that gallery. Is that really necessary? I'm sure I could learn all I'd want to know about it with 1/14 of the screenshots.

http://www.giantbomb.com/maplestory/61-21958/images/?page=1
jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By jlrm01

MapleStory, huh? I'm currently modding images and there is an onslaught of Maple Story submissions. Most of them are duplicates (or close enough to an existing one), but it sure takes me a long time to determine that (I have all 14 pages of images open in tabs)... I'll go crazy. *_* Oh, well. Back to modding pics.

banzai_nl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By banzai_nl

I really think that somehow tweaking the points for posts and images should be tweaked in a way it encourages people to actually go write something. I mean, only 6 screenshots will appear on a game's page and at least I'm not going to look at all of the 300 screenshots posted for one game. This is just point-whoring and defeats the whole purpose of a wiki-site.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Patchinko

The images are pretty ridiculous. It's more and more tempting to just dump a folder full of screenshots from World of Warcraft/TF2/C&C on here for free points when it takes much longer to get the same amount of points from actually contributing text-based content, even though the text-based content is arguably more valuable.

I'm waiting for guides to be added and to see if we can get points for good guides too, though...

One of the worst "images" pages I've seen is the Counterstrike: Source one. Ugh.

SymbolliC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SymbolliC

I'm tired of screenshots on Halo 3 that people have taken in theater mode, like we need to see all that..

Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman

I don't know what I think about points for guides. Guides can be much larger than simple Wiki pages, and there are many of them out there. Thus, it would be much easier for someone to go and copy a guide from somewhere. Awarding points for that...not sure I like that. Maybe making a community guide would work.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Emilio
Ice_Cold_Rayman said:
"I don't know what I think about points for guides. Guides can be much larger than simple Wiki pages, and there are many of them out there. Thus, it would be much easier for someone to go and copy a guide from somewhere. Awarding points for that...not sure I like that. Maybe making a community guide would work."
One big guide might work, but people can just check up on GameFAQs or whatever to see if they've just been ripped and what not.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LordAndrew
Ice_Cold_Rayman said:
"I don't know what I think about points for guides. Guides can be much larger than simple Wiki pages, and there are many of them out there. Thus, it would be much easier for someone to go and copy a guide from somewhere. Awarding points for that...not sure I like that. Maybe making a community guide would work."
It's very easy to determine if a guide has been stolen from somewhere else.